• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridges For Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone use paper shot cartridges for hunting? I was thinking that one could load the initial charge with conventional wads, then have paper cartridges handy for quick follow up shots. Thoughts? Thanks

I have not used them for hunting, but I would not hesitate. I was astonished the accuracy I was getting with service load (110 grains 2F Goex) cartridges in my M1842 smoothbore. At 25 yards I could easily put them in the black. They were nearly as good as my "naked" N-SSA loads.

I learned after making this video that the proper way to load is with the paper end of the cartridge going in first. You can tell this from the US training manual of the era that describes loading in 12 times.

8. Charge Cartridge - Fix the eye on the muzzle, turn quickly the back of the right hand towards the body, in order to discharge the powder into the barrel, raise the elbow to the height of the wrist, shake the cartridge, force it into the muzzle, and leave the hand reversed, the fingers closed, but not clenched.

I've used paper shot cups but not paper cartridges. Having some made might be useful. I'd have to think on that.
I fear the wads I currently use would be too tight with paper around them.
Something to possibly try out on the range.

When I shoot ball in my 20 ga smoothbore I just patch them the same as in a rifle; accuracy was well beyond my initial expectations. Even my bare ball loads are accurate enough to use in the field. But I no longer hunt.

Does anyone use paper shot cartridges for hunting? I was thinking that one could load the initial charge with conventional wads, then have paper cartridges handy for quick follow up shots. Thoughts? Thanks
Yes I always do.

I use "book paper", meaning that I buy a paperback book for a dollar at The Dollar Store, and use that paper for a premeasured powder charge. I tear, pour, then invert and insert the now empty paper tube into the barrel, and ram that down. This is then followed by a newsprint paper cartridge of the shot that is loaded whole, and gently rammed down and seated.

The first paper cartridge is made to just fit inside the barrel of my trade gun, using a special dowel that I made for that purpose. I sanded down the dowel until when I wrapped the paper around it to form the tube, it would just fit within the barrel, not binding against the inner wall of the barrel but without slack either. This then becomes a wad after being emptied into the barrel, and then inserted into the barrel as the closed end is now toward the powder and the top end gets crushed and compressed a bit during the insertion and ramming.

The newsprint cartridge with the shot is also made to fit, but is looser for the paper, not being as stiff as the first cartridge, when you ram it down, will flex outwards a bit. The paper can be opened and the shot poured down, and then you need to crumple the now empty newsprint cartridge tube and ram it down to form an over-shot wad.

It makes for a smooth a short time period reload.

The only concerns are that you may need to be mindful that you are shooting paper and shot, and in very dry conditions some smoldering paper down range can be a problem.

LD

Yes I always do.

I use "book paper", meaning that I buy a paperback book for a dollar at The Dollar Store, and use that paper for a premeasured powder charge. I tear, pour, then invert and insert the now empty paper tube into the barrel, and ram that down. This is then followed by a newsprint paper cartridge of the shot that is loaded whole, and gently rammed down and seated.

The first paper cartridge is made to just fit inside the barrel of my trade gun, using a special dowel that I made for that purpose. I sanded down the dowel until when I wrapped the paper around it to form the tube, it would just fit within the barrel, not binding against the inner wall of the barrel but without slack either. This then becomes a wad after being emptied into the barrel, and then inserted into the barrel as the closed end is now toward the powder and the top end gets crushed and compressed a bit during the insertion and ramming.

The newsprint cartridge with the shot is also made to fit, but is looser for the paper, not being as stiff as the first cartridge, when you ram it down, will flex outwards a bit. The paper can be opened and the shot poured down, and then you need to crumple the now empty newsprint cartridge tube and ram it down to form an over-shot wad.

The only concerns are that you may need to be mindful that you are shooting paper and shot, and in very dry conditions some smoldering paper down range can be a problem.

LD
I like to roll my tubes with a wad of paper in the end. I use a glue stick to hold them together. But I paint them with melted lard bees wax mixture. I charge tge powder just before I go in the field.
That’s flammable but will not catch it seems under the heat of the shot.

YEs. They were used to hunt humans back in the day, and they work today hunting game. Why not? To me, less hassle and waste

I use paper shot cups made from cut up supermarket bags. I wet the paper, then roll it around a 1/2 inch dowel stick. Remove from the stick and allow to dry. A dot of glue stick holds the edge together. Fold over one end like you would a penny roll. Fill with a charge of shot, then roll the other end closed. Then in the field, simply load as you would normally. Insert the pre-made shot charge and you're good to go. You don't even need an over shot card of you do it right. Works well enough.

I had thought of doing away with the process of making the tubes, and instead just using dime tubes. They're already made and are the perfect size to fit in a .62 caliber bore.

I have used paper shot and powder charges for hunting and trap shooting for over twenty years. I make the shot cartridges out of three thickness of news paper rolled over a dowel rod, tied with kite string, fill with shot, fold over and tie shut. I make the powder charges the same way using two thickness of heavy wax paper. I load by ripping open the powder charge putting the charge, paper and all down, one leather wad, then the shot cartridge tied end out.

Notice he loads the cartridge the English way. Pour the powder, then turn the cartridge over and load it ball end first. He gets very good groups with the round ball. I've always loaded mine the US way. I have a number of all three types of loads ready to go and I've always loaded the US way. This time I'll try the English way. My musket is an original 1816 reconverted back to flint with a Hoyt relined barrel, so I don't shoot the service load. I use 80gr of Swiss 3F.

I use an Investarms 50 cal smooth barrel. I turned down a dowel 1/16 in over 1/2 in. Wrap a trapezoid shape
paper, of phone book paper, around the dowel use a glue stick along one edge, slide the tube off of the dowel about 1/2 inch and mash it down on the table top with a touch of glue. If I use 50 gr of 3f I put 50 gr
of #6 shot in the tube. Same amount of powder to shot. tubes are long enough that I can fold over the tip a little to keep shot contained. Load powder, 1/8 leather wad. shot tube nick the front of shot tube place a
over shot card and blast away. I found this shoots about like a .410. I keep my shot around 15 , 18 yards
for squirrels and rabbits , there is heavy cover where I hunt, be quick or go home empty handed.
Gunny

I always do.

I use baking parchment in my 45, 50, .54, .69 and .77’s.

I roll the cartidge using a dowel rod of equal size to the bore. I dip the ball end in a mixture of bees wax, olive oil and pine pitch. The mixture hardens but will soften with contact with the bore.

The baking parchment is non-stick too and is burn resistant (as its intended purpose for baking).

I always do.

I use baking parchment in my 45, 50, .54, .69 and .77’s.

I roll the cartidge using a dowel rod of equal size to the bore. I dip the ball end in a mixture of bees wax, olive oil and pine pitch. The mixture hardens but will soften with contact with the bore.

The baking parchment is non-stick too and is burn resistant (as its intended purpose for baking).
I use a mixture of BeesWax & Lambs Tallow.

Baking Parchment…what a grand idea.

I use masking paper and bakers twine, the brass rod is the mandrel and the paper is cut off a template. I drop a .600 rb, and tie off under the ball. 80 grs of 3f and we are good to go.
If I am using shot I roll a tube made of newsprint. One is powder the other is shot.
16387F89-7338-4E39-9DB0-685FC1E7771B.jpeg
The buck and ball is just for fun

Yes I always do.

LD
Yes, I have gone down range and stomped out smoldering paper before the wind could take it some place dry. I am sure there is a cure for this but scary none the less.

The only way to go. Range sessions when I first started muzzle loading demonstrated the use of paper cartridges. Making them for conical, ball buck & ball and shot was an adventure, this was pre-internet, back in the library, thumbing trough pages for the info needed.

Back