• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the kit for .36 and .44 and received it in a timely manner. I also order some spare rolling papers with it. So far I've made up a dozen cases but haven't charged them yet.

Out of curiosity I also rolled a few using an empty .303 British case for the mandrel. I found it a little easier to get a tight roll using that. I then transferred the paper to the kit's mandrel to trim it t length and add the end cap. I hope to try shooting some of these this weekend.

I agree with the previous poster who said that instructions should have been included. I watched his video and it's very clear but an instructional flyer would probably be good for less tech savvy buyers.

Well guys, I tried the .44 cal cartridge former, and I did not have good luck with it. It may work well with conical bullets but trying to load a round ball for me was not working. I could not get the .451 ball to go into the cartridge and the prescribed 25 gr of powder was way to far from top of cartridge. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Stan

Hi Stan,

I bought the same paper cartridge kit and I load with a .451 ball and 25 gr. of 3f 777 and had more than enough paper at the top to glue and insert the ball into the cartridge. Somewhere in the forum I think I once read a post that said Hodgdon 3f 777 has less density than 3f black powder given the same volume measure.

Well guys, I tried the .44 cal cartridge former, and I did not have good luck with it. It may work well with conical bullets but trying to load a round ball for me was not working. I could not get the .451 ball to go into the cartridge and the prescribed 25 gr of powder was way to far from top of cartridge. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Stan
Use more powder.

Just got the kit last week for both .44 and .36 cal, but of course the molds from Eras Gone are all gone except for .44 Dragon which can be used in the Walker ( which I have). What would I have to do different to make cartridges for the Walker with the bigger charge (if anything)?

Had my cartridges made for a while but tonight I finally dipped them in melted SPG. Didn’t want to start a new freakin’ paper cartridge thread so I’ll tack it on here. I got lucky getting the Eras Gone mold when they were in stock.
C4B879CF-142A-4968-BB70-9E323A6B336E.jpeg
858C6C3C-3A59-406F-8C40-2A46108EA853.jpeg

I also received my fluted 1860 Army back from Goon’s Gunworks so I’m anxious as hell to treat myself to some shooting time. He does great work and I got the full blown treatment. Debris shield and all.

"Tom A Hawk" sez:
"Saltpeter is great stuff. You can even catch a spark from flint and steel in denim cloth that has been soaked in it."

I've not seen any discussion about homemade nitrating papers here, maybe I'm not searching well or simply haven't read far enough yet. Stump Remover from the local DIY or hardware store can be bought easily and cheaply, ("99" % ? saltpeter) made into a simple water-immersion to soak papers and then line-dried to work great. Have any here done this? If so, what're your results?

Carry On!
Gary

"Tom A Hawk" sez:
"Saltpeter is great stuff. You can even catch a spark from flint and steel in denim cloth that has been soaked in it."

I've not seen any discussion about homemade nitrating papers here, maybe I'm not searching well or simply haven't read far enough yet. Stump Remover from the local DIY or hardware store can be bought easily and cheaply, ("99" % ? saltpeter) made into a simple water-immersion to soak papers and then line-dried to work great. Have any here done this? If so, what're your results?

Carry On!
Gary

This is an older thread that I found but worth resurrecting.

I make my own nitrated paper from coffee filters and Spectracide Stump Remover crystals, soak them one at a time and hung to dry. I use my home made paper cartridge jig for making the cartridges. Works great and super cheap and easy to make.

452832CC-599A-4B93-8A38-330883E652DF.jpeg
067140B3-16A5-404A-B73B-3A10EBA51D3A.jpeg

What are they called? I'm not seeing them?
Just pick your self up a package of unbleached Melita coffee filters a bottle of stump be gone from Home Depot or local hardware. Find a pot or pan that the filters fit in. Put water in the pan and add the stump begone. You don’t need the entire bottle but I guess that’s depending on how much water you use. Stir in the stump begone until the crystals no longer dissolve. According to Mark Chubs you now have a super saturated solution. Any more powder and your waisting it. Submerge the filters. I let mine sit for maybe an hour that is probably too long. Take the paper out and either hang on a clothes line or lay flat. Do that part out side because once dry they will burn rather fast. You know you had a good solution by the crystals that remain on the filters. Gently wipe the crystals off gather them up and store them in a plastic bag for when you are ready to start making the paper cartridges. I’ve tried everything from curling paper through coffee filters. For me I like the coffee filters. Rolling paper and curling paper I felt were too thin but work they are just softer cases. What I described is from one of Mark Chubs Eras Gone videos from a few years back when he released his Colts Cartridge Works and Richmond Laboratory molds. I have not made any in a few years but here are some i made with the Colt Style bullet. Notice the grease grove. I just dip them in Alox and once dry store them in period correct boxes made by that fella from Hungry that had the Cap and Ball channel on YouTube. I used Keith Manley mandrels. He seemed to be the only one with them at the time. His mandrels at least what I purchased were made from walnut. They were not expensive but cost more then the plastic ones available today and IMO look nice with the caliber relief carved into the mandrels base. Unfortunately he passed away a few years back and may have been working on securing some kind of patent. After he passed others got in the game so they are widely available today. I dread powder and ball after discovering paper cartridges; I never had a misfire they work. Some prefer ball over the conical the conical over penetrate though they have never over penetrated my Evil Roy Steel target LOL. Over penetrate why would that even matter. I have an envelope of I guess 20 sheets of paper I purchased from Buffalo Arms I never used it. I hide it don’t need my wife using it in the printer or writing on it. Believe me.
93ACACFD-90B4-49EB-96A0-004195E09428.jpeg

To be clear, I'm not advocating for pre-made cartridges ( or any cartridges of any kind) as I haven't used them either. I was simply asking if anyone had used them and what were their impressions and shooting results.
I advocate for them but they take time to make. The entire purpose obviously was to speed reloading. Back in the day you could buy them today you have to make them. Just like reloading on a single stage it takes time. So next rainy or inclement day make some you can do it in steps and come back another day

Back