• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Paper Cartridge Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be clear, I'm not advocating for pre-made cartridges ( or any cartridges of any kind) as I haven't used them either. I was simply asking if anyone had used them and what were their impressions and shooting results.

When you see something like those cartridges think of Chief Dan George's line, "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.".

Those cartridges aren't made for shooting. They just for looking at.

People making a cased set with a Colt Pistol often like to include a box of cartridges like these in it.

I bought this Guns of The West, paper cartridge forming kit a few weeks ago and after making up a bunch I have a few comments to share.

1. The kit is well thought out and set up with all the materials needed to make paper revolver cartridges.

2. When folded and cut both lengthwise and widthwise, each rolling paper actually provides enough to make four finished cartridges.

3. The Eras Gone, heeled bullet makes a very neat and easily assembled finished cartridge. However, I find that because of this bullet's longer length, I need to reduce the powder charge to 26 grains in order to seat below the chamber mouth or else apply what I consider excessive ram force. ( I get best accuracy with light to medium ram force. Just enough to clear the chamber mouth and uniformity of ram force is key to top accuracy )

4. Due to the spherical shape of the ram cavity in the Uberti Remington the higher ram force reshapes the nice pointy Eras Gone bullet into a round nose. After a hard seating it looks pretty much like a round ball. This reshaping does not occur in a Colt because of the Colt's conical ram cavity.

5. By forming a cartridge tube from a rolling paper cut only lengthwise, you get a much longer tube. From the longer tubes you can load Dragoon cartridges and also cartridges for the 200 grain Lee conical. Example shown still on the forming mandrel.

6. To make cartridges for the Lee bullet, I cut the tube off about 3/8" above the powder and fold the paper over, top to bottom , bottom to top and from each side. Then press down firmly with a dowel. Next remove the cartridge from the forming cylinder and apply a dab of Gorilla Glue Gel. Slightly moisten the Lee bullet tail with water or saliva and press it firmly onto the paper cartridge. The gel will set up instantly. These cartridges load and shoot great. An example is shown next to the Eras Gone cartridge in the photo.

A link to the Youtube video and where to purchase follows below.

View attachment 55998

somewhere in his videos Duelist 1954 has a how to do it on reshaping the Uberti rammer to work with conical bullets.
Bunk

I make my cartridges from coffee filter paper that I nitrated myself. Both the coffee filters and Potassium Nitrate were bought from the internet, eBay or Amazon I can't remember.

Nitrating the paper was simple, put some water into a tray, add the Potassium Nitrate until it won't dissolve any more. Then soak the filters in the solution and hang them out to dry. Leave the solution to evaporate and recover the excess Potassium Nitrate.
Saltpeter is great stuff. You can even catch a spark from flint and steel in denim cloth that has been soaked in it.

When you see something like those cartridges think of Chief Dan George's line, "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.".

Those cartridges aren't made for shooting. They just for looking at.

People making a cased set with a Colt Pistol often like to include a box of cartridges like these in it.
Zonie
You get my100% agreement. When I get my guns dirty they each get very dirty with at least 30 rounds apiece (gunfighter). I have no idea as to how long it would take to cast bullets and make that many cartridges, so I will spend the time casting balls and shooting something else. Like that frustrating Sharps that I am slowly beating into submission in another section of this forum.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

My comment was directed to the company who made this product. I just felt that some instructions should have been included with the item. Even a new coffee pot comes with a how to manual
I have made a few with this setup and it seems to work well

My comment was directed to the company who made this product. I just felt that some instructions should have been included with the item. Even a new coffee pot comes with a how to manual
I have made a few with this setup and it seems to work well
Now I see. Guess he thought watching the video was less complicated than creating written instructions.

Back