• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 1/4 cup of stump remover and 1 cup of warm water that helps dissolve the crystals faster. I dip the coffee filters one at a time for a few seconds then remove them an hung to dry. If you put a bunch of filters together to soak it will be a pita to separate them once wet. I userubber globes in this step cuz the solution dries out my hands. On a warm day they dry quickly, usually like 30-40 minutes. I tested the paper by burning some pieces and it totally turns into ash,works fantastic. I stored a stack of treated filters in a large zip lock bag.

I advocate for them but they take time to make. The entire purpose obviously was to speed reloading. Back in the day you could buy them today you have to make them. Just like reloading on a single stage it takes time. So next rainy or inclement day make some you can do it in steps and come back another day

Ditto. Having the paper cartridges gives me more shooting and less reloading time at the range. I also reload smokeless powder on an RCBS single stage press and truly enjoy making my own custom reloads.

Well guys, I tried the .44 cal cartridge former, and I did not have good luck with it. It may work well with conical bullets but trying to load a round ball for me was not working. I could not get the .451 ball to go into the cartridge and the prescribed 25 gr of powder was way to far from top of cartridge. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Stan
I never tried using balls because I have the mold for conicals. Reading these has got me inspired to cast more conicals. If you’re not in hurry I can cast a few up Sunday. I can send you a dozen to try no big deal . I think I read further in to add more powder. I think you want to keep the powder in spec you may have to play with length and diameter. You may need to widen the diameter at the mouth of the former if practical. wrap a piece of tape to increase the size of the mandrel more closer to the diameter of the ball so the ball has paper to hold onto. My mandrel is designed for conical so once the measured powder is poored there’s only room for the base of the bullet. You are probably going to have to experiment with cartridge length and diameter using ball I suggest keeping the load within spec.
One thing I can say is I’ve walked around with paper cartridges in my shirt pocket lose none of them came apart I don’t think if the paper cartridges were topped with a ball they would have lasted.

This is an older thread that I found but worth resurrecting.

I make my own nitrated paper from coffee filters and Spectracide Stump Remover crystals, soak them one at a time and hung to dry. I use my home made paper cartridge jig for making the cartridges. Works great and super cheap and easy to make.

View attachment 147882View attachment 147883
Perfect plenty of paper to hold the ball. Nice job you should market your mandrels seem to have really taken off. Not to long ago mandrels were hard to find at least for me

Had my cartridges made for a while but tonight I finally dipped them in melted SPG. Didn’t want to start a new freakin’ paper cartridge thread so I’ll tack it on here. I got lucky getting the Eras Gone mold when they were in stock. View attachment 78644View attachment 78645
I also received my fluted 1860 Army back from Goon’s Gunworks so I’m anxious as hell to treat myself to some shooting time. He does great work and I got the full blown treatment. Debris shield and all.
I should be waxing mine I’ve been using Alox knowing it’s not the best for BP; though I still add beeswax mix once loaded to prevent chain fire. Nice job!

I bought this Guns of The West, paper cartridge forming kit a few weeks ago and after making up a bunch I have a few comments to share.

1. The kit is well thought out and set up with all the materials needed to make paper revolver cartridges.

2. When folded and cut both lengthwise and widthwise, each rolling paper actually provides enough to make four finished cartridges.

3. The Eras Gone, heeled bullet makes a very neat and easily assembled finished cartridge. However, I find that because of this bullet's longer length, I need to reduce the powder charge to 26 grains in order to seat below the chamber mouth or else apply what I consider excessive ram force. ( I get best accuracy with light to medium ram force. Just enough to clear the chamber mouth and uniformity of ram force is key to top accuracy )

4. Due to the spherical shape of the ram cavity in the Uberti Remington the higher ram force reshapes the nice pointy Eras Gone bullet into a round nose. After a hard seating it looks pretty much like a round ball. This reshaping does not occur in a Colt because of the Colt's conical ram cavity.

5. By forming a cartridge tube from a rolling paper cut only lengthwise, you get a much longer tube. From the longer tubes you can load Dragoon cartridges and also cartridges for the 200 grain Lee conical. Example shown still on the forming mandrel.

6. To make cartridges for the Lee bullet, I cut the tube off about 3/8" above the powder and fold the paper over, top to bottom , bottom to top and from each side. Then press down firmly with a dowel. Next remove the cartridge from the forming cylinder and apply a dab of Gorilla Glue Gel. Slightly moisten the Lee bullet tail with water or saliva and press it firmly onto the paper cartridge. The gel will set up instantly. These cartridges load and shoot great. An example is shown next to the Eras Gone cartridge in the photo.

A link to the Youtube video and where to purchase follows below.

View attachment 55998

as I under stand it the original Colt Paper cartridge Works used 17 grains of FFFg in the military cartridge.
With this charge the rammer in my 1861 Uberti Navy seats the bullet just clear of the chamber mouth with little force and rings the steel very nicely.
The Uberti Colt rammer is correct for the pointed bullet and works with a ball. Pietta only works with a ball.
That works for me
Play safe
Bunk

as I under stand it the original Colt Paper cartridge Works used 17 grains of FFFg in the military cartridge.
With this charge the rammer in my 1861 Uberti Navy seats the bullet just clear of the chamber mouth with little force and rings the steel very nicely.
The Uberti Colt rammer is correct for the pointed bullet and works with a ball. Pietta only works with a ball.
That works for me
Play safe
Bunk
😂 I didn’t realize this was a year old post but never the less very informative. I’ve been spending too much time with my muzzleloaders to play with the cap and ball revolvers. Though I did purchase a Pieta Sheriffs model beginning of the year. It’s difficult when you don’t have the time. Best to all.

I so far have only loaded round balls and they work great.

20220611_071447.jpg

Back