• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge alternative for single shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desperate Lee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While carrying on a conversation with Rat about our 50 cal hunters, I started kicking the idea around about a paper cartridge for my Mountain Pistol. I use paper cartridges in my ASP Bealls Remingtons. Gonna make some for my brasser 44 colts also only with a lighter load. My 44 Colt steel frame '51 will stay up there with the Remingtons.
For the 50 cal Mountain pistol I will use .490 Hornady rb and 240 grn Hornady PA bullets. I made a mandrel with a id radius on one end and an od radius on the other end. The mandrel od is .490 dia same as the rb and only .020 to .025 smaller than the PA conicals that I measured at .505 to .510 on this batch.
I am just playing now, but I used perm paper. I placed the ball in id radius and rolled the paper using the short side and got a couple rounds around the mandrel and glued one side full length. Started with paper a little over half way past ball center. I took a small piece of the paper and made an end cap over the ball and glued it on but not to the ball just the outside roll. Took the paper off slowly twisting it and set the tube with ball aside.
Took the PA conical, using the end with the od radius, and basically did the same as I did on the rb. Now I have 2 cones with projectiles in the end sealed off. As a test I took my Lee dippers and I got well over 70+ grns of Goex FFF in each one. So now I will calculate length of cone for each charge I use and also take in consideration a grease cookie, or wad plus a card, and come up with a way to seal the powder end with only a single ply of paper.
This is only for testing. I plan to nitrate some coffee filter material so I can get a better burn and hopefully get a clean barrel burn. What I want to do is just cram the load in without tearing the cartridge open and the pouring powder in first. I also plan on coating bullet end in my home made lube.
Any and all comments are welcome and I have a few photos of my progress so far. Going to put this aside now because it is almost Dallas Cowboy kickoff time. This is fun but the little woman wants no distraction during her Cowboys.
DL

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 114
[QUOTE="
Any and all comments are welcome and I have a few photos of my progress so far. Going to put this aside now because it is almost Dallas Cowboy kickoff time. This is fun but the little woman wants no distraction during her Cowboys.
DL[/QUOTE]

Was getting into your post until I found out you were a Cowboy fan, go Niner's 8-0. I know give me manure but only start watching them again after they got rid of the kneeler.
But still looking forward to watching your post to see your test come out.

I am thinking as a hunting situation. If i am sitting at a bench target shooting then i will just load the tried and true way. Powder, wad, projectile, then cap and fire. Hunting situation for follow up shot, blow down barrel, load, cap, and fire. Hopefully all ashes are extinguished before the secod round goes in. Right now Cowboys not playing too good but each to his own flavor.
DL

I would recommend making either a lubed paper cartridge , where the paper serves as the patch after tearing the paper and pouring the powder .....or making "Mississippi " cartridges with a ball wrapped in an oiled or lubed patch, in a paper cartridge.

The nitrated paper method works in revolvers but I think if this worked in side locks it would have been done 150+ years ago for military use.

I don't think it's much faster than using the authentic tied off paper ball cartridge.

I'd be also concerned about cook offs when reloading if any of that burning paper left embers in the breech.

Have not given up on this yet. Just got a lull going on with family activities. And me trying to bench rest in 40 mph north wind with 20 degree wind chills aint gonna get it. Not 20 years old anymore.
DL

A hunting reload wouldn’t really be a quick thing. Critter shot but ran so you sit a bit and gather your loading stuff and get started. Since you should wait something like 15 mins before you begin to track it there’s no reason an ember should be any concern if you just wait a minute before reloading it.

I’ve shot a fair number of cigarette paper cartridges and never had an issue in either of my revolvers. But then it takes a little time from the first shot to the last to reloading.

Rodwa
I agree to a point. When i was thinking second follow up shot i was relating modern hunting experience. I fire my '06 and in less than a couple seconds i have another round chambered and on target again. No way with a front stuffer. So it is not the fast follow up shot but the methodical reload as always. Nice point brother.
DL

Why not use a rifle system with pre measured loads, ball board with pre-patched balls and a capper or pan charger if flint. I use 45-70 cases with a small cork to hold charges for my rifle. A smaller case would work for pistol size charges. I can get about 80 grains in a 45-70 and still have room for the cork.

There is no reason you couldn’t use pre made paper cartridges either.

Back