• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pancakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno Tenn, it all sounded SO tasteful until that (and the nonsense about starving Ethiopians of course).

satx78247 said:
Well, I once had one at the British officer's mess in BRD but wasn't much impressed. - I do like their biscuits & scones.

yours, satx

I can understand that. I used to stand medical watch on the docks when we had ships loading and unloading supplies. I had the chance to go aboard a British ship at mealtime. I think they were serving boiled mutton. I couldn't stand the smell and politely declined the invitation to dine with them. I have also eaten in British inspired restaurants in Canada. With the exception of their beef, several bakery items and a few other things, I am not impressed with the Brits taste in most foods. They are nice people but a lot of their food :barf:

And back to the original topic, pancakes. Spence, if I ever find any mesquite flour, I am going to try some of those mesquite pancakes. Even though my experience with the mesquite meal was quite negative, based on your experience and description, I want to give it another try in some pancakes....and maybe in a few other items.
:thumbsup:

WELL SAID.

I have a "pet theory" that the British Empire became so large because of "people with functional taste buds" leaving the UK to find decent chow.

I do like their FISH & CHIPS, as well as a considerable amount of their "pub grub".
(When I go to London/Canada, I tend to AVOID "typical British cuisine", as if they were serving virulent cases of typhus, in favor of "ethnic restaurants".)

yours, satx

I'm one of the minority of RVN-era GIs, who actually loves Vietnamese food & coffee, including nuoc mam (fermented fish sauce).

yours, satx

Billnpatti said:
satx78247 said:
Even though my experience with the mesquite meal was quite negative, based on your experience and description, I want to give it another try in some pancakes....and maybe in a few other items.
:thumbsup:
You might try ground pods instead of just the seeds, next time. Wheat flour is whole grain or not, mesquite flour should be whole pod. :haha:

Try it in a corn pone.

Spence

Spence you make me salivate again.

I had a totally non HC supper at my daughters tonight. She made "french toast" using Kings Hawian dinner rolls instead of bread. Wow, they were good. She split them and dipped them in the egg and fried as normal french toast.

Fish sauce is used by Roman reinactors as a sub for the classic fish sauce from 2000 years ago. I have done some Roman dishes and used the sauce and it ain't bad. They even used it in deserts and it is rich and tasty

There is an Amish bakery near here that sells all manner of fruit and seasoned bread. One is a bacon cheese bread. with swirls of bacon bits and cheese through the slices. Makes absolutely fabulous french toast.

My daughter makes french toast with their apple cinnamon bread.

I have an older Farm Journal Women's cook book from the 1940's that has a great scratch recipe for pancakes, light and fluffy.

But what did they use to "rise" the pancakes in the old days ? I don't expect many frontiersmen men had a tin of baking soda in their possible bag

Some one with a pack string,wagon or boat of some sort could keep sour dough starter going. In a town or township a brewery close by could supply brain or green beer . Many goalk brewed at home.

zimmerstutzen said:
But what did they use to "rise" the pancakes in the old days ? I don't expect many frontiersmen men had a tin of baking soda in their possible bag
I seriously doubt frontiersmen ate pancakes - They ate primarily meat and corn when available (leavened items were likely available in towns/cities). Ash cakes/Johnny cakes/Hoe cakes were not uncommon.

As to leavening, a starter can be easily created with some flour, sugar, water and a few Oregon Grape berries and/or strips of Aspen tree bark. Both are covered with natural yeast.

tenngun said:
Fish sauce is used by Roman reinactors as a sub for the classic fish sauce from 2000 years ago. I have done some Roman dishes and used the sauce and it ain't bad. They even used it in deserts and it is rich and tasty

Nuoc mam. Vietnamese fish sauce, pretty fishy but it does add taste when other condiments are scarce. Salty and fishy. Used to be stationed by a nuoc mam factory and when the wind shifted, it wasn't cool.

Back