• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan primer perpetually clogging

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Last shoot I was at, my pan primer stopped up, and usually, I can restore its function by tapping it against my palm or shaking it. This was not so this time. Couldn't get powder to flow for the life of me. It is the plunger style unit. Any ideas on how to prevent these little primers from stopping up? Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem. Now, when I refill the primer tube, I disassemble the nozzle part (spring's not high tension, but don't lose it) and clean everything with a dry pipe cleaner. On a buddy's advice, I also keep a grain or two of rice in the charger to absorb any moisture. Haven't had an issue since I started doing this.

Calum

Shooting a flintlock down here in Florida...we figure wet pans and clogged primer "nozzles" are just part of the fun.
To keep things going on a hot, humid day I periodically use my pick to keep the primer tube clear.
I also routinely unscrew the "head" of my little brass priming tool, strip it down into it's component parts and thoroughly clean it.

I just had mine apart and found hard crud was stopping the plunger from moving. I guess it built up over several sessions - very hard to get clean, had to scrape it.

Necchi posted the T/C muzzleloading manual http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/Shooting_TC_Guns.pdf in another thread, page 36 gives instructions on pressing the plunger with a finger instead of pushing it into the pan, which I was doing. I'm going to start doing the finger thing in hopes of avoiding further clogging. (Thanks, Necchi!)

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea. A pipe cleaner after each use makes a big difference. Any time that little spout touches the pan surface it accumulates a bit of fouling. The fouling attracts moisture and can cause the spout to clog. Keep it wiped off in the field. Or, get a tiny priming horn so you can just tap out the prime without any contact with the pan fouling.

I've posted this pic before but it explains what I mean by "tiny horn".

Problem solved. Ken Netting brass pan primer. Never has failed me yet. I like them so well I have one in each bag. Please excuse the blurry photo. The pan primer is quality but my camera is junk :idunno:

Mountain Dewd said:
Last shoot I was at, my pan primer stopped up, and usually, I can restore its function by tapping it against my palm or shaking it. This was not so this time. Couldn't get powder to flow for the life of me. It is the plunger style unit. Any ideas on how to prevent these little primers from stopping up? Thanks in advance.

Happens to everyone. When you use the plunger you are touching burnt powder residue from previous shots. And that gunk is very attractive to moisture which gets into your primer spout. I just juse my vent/nipple pick to clean out. Only takes 1.25 seconds to accomplish.

I picked this one till I was blue in the face, to no avail. Some of that crud must have gotten way inside the valve mechanism.

The secret is to keep the plunger clean. After using it, and before putting it away, simply disassemble the plunger and wipe it clean. A pipe cleaner helps to clean out the spout. It is easily disassembled and re-assembled, just don't loose the little spring. :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
Happens to everyone. When you use the plunger you are touching burnt powder residue from previous shots. And that gunk is very attractive to moisture which gets into your primer spout. I just juse my vent/nipple pick to clean out. Only takes 1.25 seconds to accomplish.

:metoo: Yep, ever so true. But, I am a bit slower than you, it takes me 1.37 seconds to accomplish this task. :haha:

This may be off the wall, but I'll toss it into the just-in-case hopper.

Bud of mine had the same trouble, but only when it was really cold and dry. Lots of puzzling. Turned out he always carried it in the nylon pocket of his cold weather jacket, and static electricity built up. His solution was novel and cheap. He wipes down the inside with a dryer sheet before filling on days when static charges build up. Cheaper than buying a new hunting coat, anyway.

BrownBear said:
This may be off the wall, but I'll toss it into the just-in-case hopper.

Bud of mine had the same trouble, but only when it was really cold and dry. Lots of puzzling. Turned out he always carried it in the nylon pocket of his cold weather jacket, and static electricity built up. His solution was novel and cheap. He wipes down the inside with a dryer sheet before filling on days when static charges build up. Cheaper than buying a new hunting coat, anyway.

Not off the wall. That is how the real mountain men did it. :rotf:

the unscented ones, of course!!

the plunger spring can be replaced at the local Ace Hardware store (they have a bunch of those cute little springs, which you should check out so that you can dispose of more of those little pictures of dead presidents which clutter up your wallet)

I have several spares...

make good smoke!

That's why I wipe the pan after every shot, no gunk to clog anything up. After all I'm being charged by a group of Red Coats!.

Latest posts

Back