• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Palmetto Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just hoping to get a little info on my latest purchase. It's a 44 cal black powder revolver. The only markings I could find is a palm tree in a circle next to a serial number. If I'm correct, this is a Palmetto, probably sold by Dixie Gun Works. I couldn't find a lot of information on the Internet, so anything would be helpful. Age, manufacturer, value, etc. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0645.JPG

If you look on the bottom flat under the loading lever, there should be some small proof marks, makers marks, and other small stamps. Pics of those would make it much easier to identify. You should also be able to find the serial number, likely on the bottom of the grip, which can also provide a few clues.

There is a "3" under the loading lever, and a "4" under the piece that holds the cylinder in. The only serial number I could find is on the cylinder next to the palm tree mark.

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 69
If you look on the bottom flat under the loading lever, there should be some small proof marks, makers marks, and other small stamps. Pics of those would make it much easier to identify. You should also be able to find the serial number, likely on the bottom of the grip, which can also provide a few clues.
Just the 3 and 4 on the bottom of the barrel. I also removed the grips, no markings. No other markings on the cylinder (front or back) either. S/N has the logo, then 081xx if that helps.

I was just hoping to get a little info on my latest purchase. It's a 44 cal black powder revolver. The only markings I could find is a palm tree in a circle next to a serial number. If I'm correct, this is a Palmetto, probably sold by Dixie Gun Works. I couldn't find a lot of information on the Internet, so anything would be helpful. Age, manufacturer, value, etc. Thanks in advance.View attachment 75334
Yes it's definitely made by Palmetto as per the palm tree in the circle. Like JohnnieT said look under the loading lever for other markings that could identify the year manufactured. There may be Roman Numerals or two letters in a box date identifiers. If it's a PN that's just the Gardone proof mark.

Sorry, was going to suggest looking under the grip panels, but I see you’ve already done that. Anything along the top strap in the area around the rear sight channel?

Last edited:
Given you can't locate manufacture date identifiers I have to assume the date is included in the serial number and I have no clue as I don't remember any Italian made reproductions including the date of manufacture in the serial number. Hopefully someone else with that knowledge will chime in.

Under bright light, I did find some proof marks on the cylinder. There are no marks on the brass. I even removed the trigger guard, nothing underneath. I can't make out the first mark at all. The second one is a star over "PN".

Attachments

• IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 50
Under bright light, I did find some proof marks on the cylinder. There are no marks on the brass. I even removed the trigger guard, nothing underneath. I can't make out the first mark at all. The second one is a star over "PN".
Both are proof marks. You may have to go over the steel parts with a fine tooth comb and a magnifying glass as many of the earlier manufactured reproductions were stamped rather lightly.

A brief bit of Googling tells me that Dixie Gun Works didn’t start carrying Palmetto revolvers until the early 1980’s. That should help narrow down the age range. I love the way that brass has aged, by the way. Lovely patina to the whole gun.

I am no expert, but the lack of markings may indicate that it started as a kit gun or it could have been defarbed previously.
PN would indicate that the cylinder at least was made in Italy.

Woody

When thinking of Dixie Palmettos the words cheap and nasty come to mind. It might work as a shooter but if you do, use a light load 13 to 15 gr of 3fg otherwise think of it as a decorateitem

I have a Palmetto Remington also, it has the steel frame. Not sure of its age, but am thinking early 80’s. It does fine with 30 g fffg.

Big difference between the brass frame and the steel frame. I use 30gr of 3fg in my Ruger Old Army but I wouldn’t even consider using that much in a brass framed gun.

Back