• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pair of Green River Rifle Works Hawken Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plmeek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After Shootn posted his thread about the GRRW Hawken rifle he finally purchased, I thought I would post about my most recent acquisition--a pair of GRRW Hawken rifles.

The pair are a half stock Hawken and a full stock Hawken.

IMG_7184_1800.jpg

IMG_7200_1800.jpg

Both rifles have 1" straight octagon barrels. The half stock has a 32⅛" barrel while the full stock barrel is an inch longer at 33⅛".

IMG_7210_1800.jpg

IMG_7205_1800.jpg

They are both .54 caliber and both rifles were stocked by Carl Walker who was GRRW's first employee and stayed with them right up to the end in 1980.

I haven't checked to see when they were made, but guessing around May of 1978.

I would LOVE to own that 1/2 Stock, I have wanted a GRRW Hawken from my Beginning in Muzzleloading. But That stuff called money has always been an issue for me, They are out of my Financial League :(

Those are very nice. Gosh darn it, why did I have to be a Southpaw?
Being a born Southpaw, I always adapted as a child playing "army" or "war" with the various kinds of play guns during the '50's. Thus I am blessed to be able to comfortably shoot almost any kind of rifle or pistol with no trouble. I won't brag, but my natural reach with the left arm to work the bolt of a military rifle held on the left shoulder has amazed some guys. All due to the Davy Crockett play and pretending to fight Japs & Germans in the 1950!:) Even flintlocks, I'm more OK using a normal right hand lock; the lefties just feel "odd" somehow; do have a left hand lock GPR. Thanks, guys.

I agree. While most of my firearms are left handed, I was always more comfortable with a standard, modern rifle. A left hand modern gun just feels odd to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a born Southpaw, I always adapted as a child playing "army" or "war" with the various kinds of play guns during the '50's. Thus I am blessed to be able to comfortably shoot almost any kind of rifle or pistol with no trouble. I won't brag, but my natural reach with the left arm to work the bolt of a military rifle held on the left shoulder has amazed some guys. All due to the Davy Crockett play and pretending to fight Japs & Germans in the 1950!:) Even flintlocks, I'm more OK using a normal right hand lock; the lefties just feel "odd" somehow; do have a left hand lock GPR. Thanks, guys.
I’m also left handed and all my rifles rifles growing up were right handed (including a military rifle), but play golf right handed. I have no problem shooting muzzloaders right handed (think SXS shotgun) but don’t like the fact the cheek piece is on the wrong side. So bought a left handed Pedersoli .50 and love it. Also, an unmentionable left handed and really enjoy that don’t enjoy reaching over the scope.

They are pristine, Notchy. They appear to be un-fired and have practically no handling marks on them.

Here are some more pictures.

The Half Stock Rifle
IMG_7238_1800.jpg
IMG_7251_1800.jpg

The Full Stock Rifle
IMG_7246_1800.jpg

IMG_7243_1800.jpg

If any of you notice how similar these two rifles look, there is a good reason for that.

These two rifles were ordered and built as a set or complimentary pair. They may have been stocked from the same piece of wood as the curl in both look so similar.

A really interesting feature of these two rifles is that each has its own serial number plus the serial number of the other rifle stamped on the barrel.

The Half Stock Rifle Serial Number 545
IMG_7272_1800.jpg

The Full Stock Rifle Serial Number 83
IMG_7273_1800.jpg

The makers mark belongs to Carl Walker.

I know of a GRRW Hawken that was made with two barrels of different lengths, each barrel being stamped with the rifle's serial number, but this is the first "set" of guns I've seen come from the GRRW shop.

Phil,
I would like your opinion on a Carl Walker built Bridger Hawken that I have. No GRRW stamps on it, Morgan lock and I am sure a plumb center barrel. In talking to Doc (before we lost him in August) he told me sometimes payroll was tight he would give the guys material as pay to build rifles to supplement their income. Anyway, would appreciate your thoughts as to the value of this rifle. 58 caliber, half stock, percussion, captive barrel pins, 1 1/8 ATF 34” straight bbl. If you can PM me your email or phone I can send you some photos of the rifle. I was looking for GRRW rifles for sale and found a Rock Island Armory listing showing this rifle sold for $3400 in 2017. Sounds sort of high to me, but ya never know. Anyway, thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
Best Regards,
Bob S.
They are pristine, Notchy. They appear to be un-fired and have practically no handling marks on them.

The Half Stock Rifle
View attachment 79363View attachment 79365

The Full Stock Rifle
View attachment 79367
View attachment 79387

If any of you notice how similar these two rifles look, there is a good reason for that.

These two rifles were ordered and built as a set or complimentary pair. They may have been stocked from the same piece of wood as the curl in both look so similar.

A really interesting feature of these two rifles is that each has its own serial number plus the serial number of the other rifle stamped on the barrel.

View attachment 79388

View attachment 79389

I know of a GRRW Hawken that was made with two barrels of different lengths, each barrel being stamped with the rifle's serial number, but this is the first "set" of guns I've seen come from the GRRW shop.

The Half Stock Rifle
View attachment 79363View attachment 79365

The Full Stock Rifle
View attachment 79367
View attachment 79387

View attachment 79388

View attachment 79389

Phil,
I have a Carl Walker Bridger Hawken I would like to discuss with you. Can you send me your direct email address in a PM? I would appreciate it. Thanks sir

Bob Shape

We have talked previously about the 308 Ron Paul Hawken you now own, that I once owned….

Waiting on my first GRRW Hawken to arrive. The wood is plain. Maybe one of these days I will come across a rifle as pretty as those. But, I'm not holding my breath....
Beautiful rifles Phil! They are in good hands!

Back