• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Painting Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I'm admitting to this, but this is what I tried last deer season (and my wife is still laughing at me). I had a 1" x 1" square x 4' long stick lying around so I glued 4 brass sights to each side at one end. One sight blade was just left with a highly polished natural brass finish , 1 painted with a Testors model paint that resembled fluorescent pink, another Testors bright orange, and one with White-out. I took the stick out to my tree stand one afternoon, and as the evening progressed I "shouldered" the stick many times in different light conditions. Even on some deer. I concluded that each sight looked better than the others during certain light conditions throughout the afternoon/evening. There was no clear winner for me. That being said, I'd probably carry White-out if I had to choose one. Easy to apply and scratch off. I wish there were an easy way to lighten the inside of the rear sight, but I'm done testing.

I went to a German silver front sight ,,,, It works well for me.

If it needs darkened, I just use a Sharpie.

I can't believe I'm admitting to this, but this is what I tried last deer season (and my wife is still laughing at me). I had a 1" x 1" square x 4' long stick lying around so I glued 4 brass sights to each side at one end. One sight blade was just left with a highly polished natural brass finish , 1 painted with a Testors model paint that resembled fluorescent pink, another Testors bright orange, and one with White-out. I took the stick out to my tree stand one afternoon, and as the evening progressed I "shouldered" the stick many times in different light conditions. Even on some deer. I concluded that each sight looked better than the others during certain light conditions throughout the afternoon/evening. There was no clear winner for me. That being said, I'd probably carry White-out if I had to choose one. Easy to apply and scratch off. I wish there were an easy way to lighten the inside of the rear sight, but I'm done testing.
Now u know why a lot of old guns had german silver and brass blade sights. Hunting under low light conditions.

I recently saw a picture of a rifle here which had what looked very much like a brass insert (or gold wash) on just the groove of the rear sight. As soon as I can get some appropriate model paint, I intend to try outlining mine.

The front sight had a similar highlight, but memory of that isn't as clear.

I too used a black sharpie or magic marker on bright sights if needed. A piece of white chalk works in black sights and is easy to touch up or wipe off if the target or background calls for it.

I use Flo sight paint and didn't like it, it became an indistinct blob to my old eyes out on the end of the barrel. It did glow in the dark.

glow in the dark paint.JPG

Back