• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Painted Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Birmingham Trade frequently produced "muskets" with painted stocks -- - reduced the cost and made them more saleable to the "native trade".
Of course, it was not restricted to stocks. Pedersoli produced a DB percussion gun which had a "printed" barrel in the early days -- looked just like damascus.

Even more likely was what went on in the Belgian Trade, especially for cheap exports .... still being made well into the 1930s and maybe later.
Like this Belgian musket!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-201530.jpg
    Screenshot_20231227-201530.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/pnp/pga/03000/03074v.jpg
1705123156730.png

Death of Wolfe.....
The Indian’s gun is painted with a sunburst on the stock.
This painting was done in London with the subject being the death of General Wolfe at Quebec 1759.
This was one of the first if not the first “royal” tribute paintings to be in the realistic style.
Before this, paintings of this genre were in the Classical Greek or Roman style with togas, clouds.....stuff like that.

Realistic is a relative term as most of those depicted with Wolfe were not there, like really not there......like in England.

Tumbledown, that rifle may grow on me. Odd but strangely attractive.

We had a history of painting red bands on the lend lease rifles we sent over to England in WW2. Wide red bands were painted on the stocks to differentiated the ones chambered in .303 British vs .30-06. I always thought they were neat looking.

It was started because the US sent a lot of our 1917 "Enfield" rifles to England at the beginning of the war and they were so similar to the British Pattern 1914 "Enfield" rifles that a very visual distinction had to be made.

Tumbledown, that rifle may grow on me. Odd but strangely attractive.

We had a history of painting red bands on the lend lease rifles we sent over to England in WW2. Wide red bands were painted on the stocks to differentiated the ones chambered in .303 British vs .30-06. I always thought they were neat looking.

It was started because the US sent a lot of our 1917 "Enfield" rifles to England at the beginning of the war and they were so similar to the British Pattern 1914 "Enfield" rifles that a very visual distinction had to be made.
It is a Belgian trade musket. I'm in the process of reworking it to look like an English trade musket c1750s. This was for sale online and I saw the potential with the lock and butt plate. It won't get repainted, though I was tempted.

Back