• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Package recieved, what would you do ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mods, if this isn't the right place for this post by all means do move it.

Recently I bought a nice percussion pistol that captured my eye at a known gun auction website. The buyer had good feedback from other buyers, the price was right and I pulled the trigger so to speak, using Buy It Now.
It arrived today and though it survived intact ( I haven't yet done an in depth inspection ) please take a look at the pictures below. The 'shipping container' was very light and pre-used cardboard, the pistol tucked among the meat wrapping paper inside the box. It appears that the weight of the pistol was enough to tear open the box on both sides, how it didn't drop out entirely I don't know.
It dosen't appear the package was mishandled by UPS. Rather, the packing was the flimsiest I've ever seen, clearly insufficient and it's obvious the Seller made no effort in packing/ shipping properly.

My question is this- would you leave negative feedback for this transaction ? Or simply never deal with them again ? Throughout my years shipping/ recieivng packages I generally don't leave negative feedback where there is feedback to leave, this for a number of reasons. Chief amoung them is not wanting to enflame the situation further or generate hostility. Life is short after all.

Worth mentioning; none of my 3 messages beyond my initial purchase inquiry were ever returned. I thought it extremely poor communication but left it at that. This transaction has a feedback component. Woud you leave feedback, or none at all ?

fO0IZIgh.jpg

iIkQ8iRh.jpg

o1iG3H9h.jpg

Last edited:
I agree too. I posted in part to confirm my own instincts. Maybe he had a bad day, regardless the packing was sub par. Interestingly, his feedback rating at present is 100%.

That's what feedback is for. If I was dissatisfied with a particular product, I'd let the seller know. It may not help your situation but at least other people will know what you went through. Maybe the seller will conduct business a bit differently and for the better.

Last edited:
Yes feed back discoursing your disaffection with the methods of packaging. Hope the weapon was not damaged, I always worry about items being shipped, I had a antelope mount sent from Wyoming not to long ago that was a nervous period but thankfully the guys in the brown truck took very good care of it. Many years ago I worked freight docks for a prominent trucking company when things like this came my way I paid extra attention to the care of it I knew what it took to get it and hoped some day if I was lucky enough to do that type of hunting someone would look out for me.

I would make a complaint to the business or post office that done the shipping, they do not mind charging premium shipping costs so in my opinion you should receive premium service.

To package anything like that is inexcusable whether he was having a bad day or not. I would mention it in your feedback and dock him for it. I would also give him a low rating for communication. The cost of shipping relative to the value of the item is very low and not a place to cut corners to save dollars. Given the poor job of packing I wouldn't hold the shipper at fault. Finally, no I wouldn't deal with the seller again.

I hope your pistol came through OK and we would enjoy seeing photos.

I would give positive feedback if the gun is as described and dock him in the comments for the lousy packing. The people who look at the feedback comments will see it but it wont hurt his business and it'll make him think twice. (Many people wont do business with someone on that site if they dont have 100% feedback. Me among them. Its tough out there. Maybe im just an old softy.

I’d thank my lucky stars the gun was okay, contact the seller and voice my displeasure, and leave feedback detailin’ why l was displeased.

You bet your sweet arse I'd leave feedback! Hey, if the guy gave the pistol to you then there isn't much to say. When money changes hands though, thats a different story altogether. Saying nothing only allows some dingbat to continue doing stupid things like halfassing a package.

I've received rifles with the bolt sticking out of the cardboard box! Of course that was from a distributor and the rifle was loose (no packing at all) inside the box. No way to "feedback" for that.....bought out of some distributor's ad in Shotgun News. (Remember that one)?

I never give "good" reviews.....and I never give "bad" reviews. I only give honest reviews.

First though, contact the seller, see what he says. Maybe he tasked his wife with the mailing and she didn't know better. Then be honest with the review, but completely honest. Nothing bad happened, no harm no foul.

Not the best packaging for something thats going to be handled by orangutans. I've seen worse though. My wife bought a collectors plate from ebay years ago and the the seller shipped it in a padded envelope. You can guess the results.

Here in UK it would not have been accepted by the carrier in the first place. It is up to the sender to ensure that the packaging is capable of withstanding transit.

I guess that the rules are a lot different in North America. From personal experience of Canada Post/Canada, who are quite capable of breaking a well-wrapped sponge if they put their collective minds to the task, I'll just say that if the packaging doesn't weigh as much as the item inside it then you are on a loser.

[This pot is also available in French if required]

There has to be a reason, if this was his "usual" method he would NOT have 100% rating even if he was lucky and never had a piece arrive damaged? My biggest issue is the lack of response. I'm betting he is dealing with a very serious life problem (recent tragedy, illness etc.?). I sure keep up on the communication attempt for a few weeks at least then a ding is in order, I believe you can retract a ding later?

Ya, we wanna see the gun!

I always look at feedback before I buy something. Just like you did. if part of your decision-making process to buy something from that person was looking at feedback, why wouldn't you leave feedback for somebody else?

I fix motorcycle speedometers and ship across the US and Canada so have learned a bit about packaging. Guys in the know say to package expecting a 6' drop to concrete. Supposedly there are six or eight points in a shipment where this is possible. Another says he packs to survive falling off the truck at 60mph and then catching fire.

Obviously that package was flimsy, and the padding pretty much nonexistent.

Feedback is there for the next guy and at this point you have no indication the seller will do any better next time. It's infuriating when someone blows you off like that, so I'd make it known how he operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back