• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa squirrel opener 10/19.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going? What gun do you plan to use?

I've got my TVM Poor boy 20 gauge smooth bore ready to go. Have paper loads made up with 1 1/8 oz. #6 loads in the vest. I load 70 grains of 2fg.

Anyone planning on going? What gun do you plan to use?

I've got my TVM Poor boy 20 gauge smooth bore ready to go. Have paper loads made up with 1 1/8 oz. #6 loads in the vest. I load 70 grains of 2fg.
.36 cal underhammer. 20 gr 3f, .15 mink oil greased patch, .350 hornady ball. i am so ready

.36 cal underhammer. 20 gr 3f, .15 mink oil greased patch, .350 hornady ball. i am so ready
I was hoping my .32 caliber Verner inspired rifle would be ready for this season, but that one will have to wait until next year. Just had too many other projects in the pipeline to get it finished in time. Oh well, no big thing. The smooth bore is a lot of fun to hunt with, plus I just purchased one of the new TPS Arms M6 takedown rifles (not a muzzle loader I realize)that is going to see a hunt or two this year.

20191019_082057.jpg
looks delicious.

Saw about a dozen squirrels this morning. Early, they were all in the treetops cutting nuts. By around 8:30 am they all vanished. Too many leaves still on the trees, so most sightings were just quick glimpses. I needed to get about a 25 yard shot with my cylinder bored smoothly. None gave me the opportunity. Will be back at it during the week.

After early muzzleloader for doe/black bear, I'll be chasing squirrels with my 58 cal./24 ga trade gun. The same gun I'm using for doe/bear. I wanta get a black squirrel this year with the trade gun.

The mast crop, at least in our area seems about average. I prefer when the leaves, and nuts fall. This way there are more of them scampering along fallen logs and on the ground, then way up in the tree tops. Plus everywhere I went I busted some archer's setup. I used to get upset over that but not anymore. Not my fault they open seasons when other hunters are out. I got more than one dirty look yesterday but oh well. I don't try to bust someone's setup but if it happens I just try to get out of their way as quickly and as quietly as I can. And if they don't like me being there then too bad.....Its called public land for a reason.

The mast crop, at least in our area seems about average. I prefer when the leaves, and nuts fall. This way there are more of them scampering along fallen logs and on the ground, then way up in the tree tops. Plus everywhere I went I busted some archer's setup. I used to get upset over that but not anymore. Not my fault they open seasons when other hunters are out. I got more than one dirty look yesterday but oh well. I don't try to bust someone's setup but if it happens I just try to get out of their way as quickly and as quietly as I can. And if they don't like me being there then too bad.....Its called public land for a reason.
Good crop of acorns here. The hickory nuts are in abundance also. I have many hickory trees in the fencerow between the neighbors and I.

I don't know. I've had just as much success hunting squirrels when slowly walking the woods, stopping every few steps and scanning the trees, the logs, and on the ground, as I've had taking a seat or simply standing in one place. These days I simply do whatever sets in me to do. I got 3 last night by walking some and by sitting some. I will admit I did not have the muzzle loader with me though....

I’m jealous of all you folks with squirrels to hunt!! I surely do miss hunting them with my smokepole!

Carry on!! Keep yer powder dry!!

Back