• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa hunters, do you wear camo during the intlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunted in the snow today. Head to toe snow camouflage. Didn't see another hunter. Saw six deer that never knew I was there. Unfortunately they weren't close enough to get a shot. I made it home alive.

I too have done that.But I hunt only on our home farm.I would never do that on any property that I didn,t know who or if anyone else was there.To each his own.

I want to apologize for being heavy-handed! I am just extremely safety-conscious having been shot myself.

I was taught to be extremely cautious about identifying my target and not just a deer, but which rib you will send the bullet through. So there is absolutely no excuse for shooting a person.

I will choose to wear orange because I know there are a lot of idiots in the woods. The choice is obviously up to each and every person.
Things are much different where most people live and hunt back East, where trees are noticeably very close together and most of the time you can't see 50 yards. Out here in the West, even in much timber in my part of Montana, it's nothing like it is back East, so if you're out hiking there's a lot a country that is very open and you can see for miles. The big danger is along the rivers where vision is limited. Hunting upland birds in Montana is out in the open, except for pheasants. They are found along the rivers and streams where you can be shot for two things, not being seen or wearing tan clothes the color of deer, and jumpy hunters. I said this before a few questions back, in Montana if you pheasant hunt, you are better off wearing hunters orange or something else that is Equally as bright. It might not be required by law but self preservation has helped many of us. The only time Hunter's orange is required is what is termed big-game hunting with firepower.
Squint

I have not read anyone comment on the one thing that concerns me when thinking there could be people in the woods without orange on.

I refuse to even shoot at "a deer", I will only shoot if I can clearly identify my spot two ribs back from the front shoulder, or the chest if it's facing me.

But ....... I know that in my life I have had multiple occasions where I was trying to get a shot at a running deer and swung ahead to pick the hole I felt the deer would run through and "WHOA" there is orange. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of someone in the woods in camo while I have a high powered weapon in my hands.

Don't shoot running deer if you're on public land.

A relaxed un-spooked deer will taste better.

Before any of you laugh and scoff at MtnMan,s claim about spooked deer.I,m a full time Farmer and have raised thousands of head of livestock and have seen photos and published reports on the difference in marbling and muscle comparing wild,spooky,rangy cattle compared to calm content cattle.The toughness to tenderness ratio is profound.

Before any of you laugh and scoff at MtnMan,s claim about spooked deer.I,m a full time Farmer and have raised thousands of as far as his other statement, I will just say this. One of the most profound lessons I learned while I was in the military was if the world has to change in order for you to be right, you should rethink your position. of livestock and have seen photos and published reports on the difference in marbling and muscle comparing wild,spooky,rangy cattle compared to calm content cattle.The toughness to tenderness ratio is profound.
I can absolutely, positively, tell you that that is 100% true! After hunting for 50 plus years there is not only a difference between a calm deer and a harassed deer but there is also a huge difference between Pennsylvania and Ohio deer as far as taste and tenderness.

As far as his other claim, I will just say this. The most profound lesson I learned while I was in the military was "if the world has to change in order for you to be right, you should rethink your position."

I can believe the difference in Ohio and Pa. Deer if you are comparin Pa. Mountain Deer to Ohio Farm land deer.I don,t think I would notice the difference because I,m in a rural agriculture area.

The feeding Circuit of a deer in the farm lands of Ohio is dramatically different than the feeding circuit in the Forest of Northwest PA

The key is to get the blood out of the deer as soon as humanly possible. The adrenaline in the blood of a deer on the move needs to be evacuated ASAP

I grind everything but the loins, back straps, and heart on a deer that has been running.

Few hunters here wear orange on private land. It is not required. But public land, such as the Francis Marion National Forest. Oh, hell yeah.

Even when I hunt on private land I wear orange because I cannot be 100% sure that nobody else if on that land. If I could be 100% sure, I would still probably wear orange out of habit, not to mention that it makes no difference to the deer and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

What camo or lack thereof do you use?

Deer can not tell red from green. Red plaid works as camouflage when hunting deer as the plaid pattern breaks up the human outline.

BTW, the Pensylvania Tuxedo. What could be more appropriate for hunting in Pennsylvania?

tumblr_inline_op1e5qRej61uze3wh_1280.jpg

How do we know what deer really see? We can only surmise based on some scientists studues, and professional opinion. Or, is it a lot of bunk that's been spread around through the decades. All I know is, I've hunted with and without camo, and I feel camo works.

I will ask this, how many of you who are espousing the virtues of plaid or other non camo clothing, do you also believe this during archery season? I never see anyone wearing orange during archery season unless required by law, and I see no one wearing plaid etc during archery season.

How do we know what deer really see? We can only surmise based on some scientists studues, and professional opinion. Or, is it a lot of bunk that's been spread around through the decades. All I know is, I've hunted with and without camo, and I feel camo works.

I will ask this, how many of you who are espousing the virtues of plaid or other non camo clothing, do you also believe this during archery season? I never see anyone wearing orange during archery season unless required by law, and I see no one wearing plaid etc during archery season.

It is the pattern that breaks up the human outline. So too does the paid pattern.

Deer do not see red, nor green.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 14-39-41 humans-deer-color-vision webp (WEBP Image, 1024 × 913 pixels...png
    Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 14-39-41 humans-deer-color-vision webp (WEBP Image, 1024 × 913 pixels...png
    132.9 KB · Views: 11
The only time one needs green camouflage is when hunting birds where there is alot of green foliage. Also, birds have a greater color vision than humans.

Yes, I wear full camo that is mismatched badly and seems to work well. Never thought about trying to disguise my long rifle, because it’s got a dark barrel in a wooden stock, all of which looks like any old stick you’d see in the woods.

Back