• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa hunters. Anyone going squirrel hunting today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out this morning. Took the 20 gauge smooth bore Flintlock. Temps were in the mid 40s, so no spiders. Still way too much foliage to see anything clearly in the canopy. I could hear a bunch of squirrels cutting acorns but could only catch a glimpse of moving branches. I did catch two that were on the ground but they quickly disappeared. I got one shot at one of the acorn cutters as he moved along a lower limb. Missed. Later down along the creek, I had one come uphill from the bank. Had a click, no spark, and he walked. I had reused a flint that wasn't very sharp and got the failure to fire.

Last edited:
I went out this morning, it was nice and cool little wind, but the woods were just dead. Don't understand the squirrels were all over the roads. The state forest I went has mostly red and white oaks, I'd find a few good sized trees and sit down for 20 minutes but nothing was moving.

I could have shot at one but I had limbs in front of me and the squirrel was moving fast.

I'd love to go squirrel hunting. Unfortunately it's illegal in most of Southern California, because the Department of Fish and Game has determined hunting in this area would be more detrimental to native Western Grey Squirrels than to the invasive Eastern Fox squirrels, which are already rapidly taking over.

Of course I'm on the California/Arizona border, and squirrel hunting is legal in Arizona. But it's probably a moot point anyway, because this is a desert area and there aren't a whole lot of tree squirrels hanging out in mesquite and ironwood trees to begin with...

add: of course, ground squirrels are fair game year round, and we have plenty of those. I may go after some of them, after I finish my Kibler Southern Mountain rifle. I would assume they're as edible as any other furry-butted little rodent... they're known to carry plague, though. So even though it isn't endemic to this area, I'd probably wear gloves while cleaning them, to avoid being bitten by any fleas they might have.

Last edited:
I was out yesterday morning. A perfect morning 42 degrees, sunny and calm. There was lots of squirrels moving. I hunted out of a portable tree stand as the area was logged recently and I wanted to get above it to see better. I missed 3 and got one. I’m new to this having just bought this 32 a few weeks ago. It’s still not grouping well but I had a ball anyway. I hope to go again tomorrow. JimView attachment 43226View attachment 43225
Nice job! Interested to hear what load are you using in that little .32 cal.? I have been loading 30gr. Of FFF Goex with a .389 ball and .020" pillow ticking lubes with mink oil in my .40 . Been working well. I will prolly be out Friday and Saturday again.
James

Nice job! Interested to hear what load are you using in that little .32 cal.? I have been loading 30gr. Of FFF Goex with a .389 ball and .020" pillow ticking lubes with mink oil in my .40 . Been working well. I will prolly be out Friday and Saturday again.
James
James, at this time I’m using 3f, .310 ball and .010 patch with mink oil, 20 gns of powder. I’m still working on the load combo as I’m not satisfied with how it’s grouping. But I’m having a ball with it.

went out this morning again. I only saw 2 and got one shot.

Attachments

• F6FD7C66-0517-4632-AE2B-7B2EB5481803.jpeg
    F6FD7C66-0517-4632-AE2B-7B2EB5481803.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 71
I have no idea why it does happen, but a great day one week can be a "no squirrel" day the following week. One place I used to hunt would often be full of hyperactive squirrels. A friend and I went out one morning and got a combined 15 in just 3 or 4 hours. A couple weeks prior to that I tried my best and saw 0 (ZERO) bushytails. :dunno:

Bout 1980 I built a .36 cal . squirrel rifle. Very basic ...13/16th barrel , maple stock , percussion lock , and brass parts. First time out after range time , foggy morning @ daylight stationed myself for an ambush between standing corn field and hemlock pine woods. By 10:30 AM had 3 sq,s in the bag and shot the tail off one other. Never went w/shotgun again. Hooked on m/l rifle small game hunting and still at it.........oldwood

Bout 1980 I built a .36 cal . squirrel rifle. Very basic ...13/16th barrel , maple stock , percussion lock , and brass parts. First time out after range time , foggy morning @ daylight stationed myself for an ambush between standing corn field and hemlock pine woods. By 10:30 AM had 3 sq,s in the bag and shot the tail off one other. Never went w/shotgun again. Hooked on m/l rifle small game hunting and still at it.........oldwood
Nice!

I went this morning to a new place. Where I live we have all gray squirrels. I have to drive a distance to get into fox squirrels. I got a tip yesterday about a place about an hour from me that has fox squirrels. Gave it a try. Saw 2 grays and got one shot. Beautiful morning. I have some work to do but may get out this evening.
DD6D8248-29C8-4982-962C-287FE2E23D1F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back