• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pa.Flinty only season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The historic tavern where we always used to stop , to " thaw out" , was on Rt. , 453, top of Sandy Ridge Mtn.. The place was strategically located between , State Game land # 33 to the east , and State Game land # 60 to the west. So much land to hunt , we spent 50 yrs . hunting there , and only saw perhaps 1/3 rd. of it. The two of us took a lot of meat off that mtn.. Sadly,the old guy that owned the tavern ,got old , and retired. The final owner turned it into a drug hole. , it was raided and it closed forever , and torn down.

The historic tavern where we always used to stop , to " thaw out" , was on Rt. , 453, top of Sandy Ridge Mtn.. The place was strategically located between , State Game land # 33 to the east , and State Game land # 60 to the west. So much land to hunt , we spent 50 yrs . hunting there , and only saw perhaps 1/3 rd. of it. The two of us took a lot of meat off that mtn.. Sadly,the old guy that owned the tavern ,got old , and retired. The final owner turned it into a drug hole. , it was raided and it closed forever , and torn down.
Sorry to hear that.

Anyone get into the deer today? I did get out however I shot a few balls on paper to check my sights. Will be hunting late afternoon tomorrow and the rest of the week. Really looking forward to it. Will be in Lancaster, Berks and perhaps into Lehigh. All public land this year. Been seeing alot of deer in Berks Co.

Hunted central Berks county this afternoon. Bumped one at 2pm then a few came out on a greenfield at last light. Figured I would not be able to cover 200 yards to get within 100 before dark.
Ran into a rifle hunter on the way out (I really dislike the overlap of flintlock and the extra extended regular firearms for doe season around my corner of the state) -in a black coverall and only an orange hat. Rather than talk he double-timed back to his truck... knucklehead

Upside of the cold is they were moving a bit, downside is way too crunchy for anything other than standing. I'll try to get out again Thursday and/or Friday, when it will all be mud.

Attachments

• PXL_20221226_190336213.jpg
    PXL_20221226_190336213.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Well I haven't been out for deer in a couple years and guess I didn't realize there is a center fire extended overlap. Not right to me but oh well. I usually don't wear orange in the late season so hope there won't be any problems. Anyway, nice looking rifle and gear! Good luck to you.

I plan to take the flintlock out later this week when it's not so cold. At my age, I just can't sit in below 20 degree weather like I used to. It was around 13 degrees this morning when I got up. Too cold for these old bones. Sucks getting old.

Upside of the cold is they were moving a bit, downside is way too crunchy for anything other than standing. I'll try to get out again Thursday and/or Friday, when it will all be mud.
When it’s so cold the ground is crunchy, sneaking is impossible as you point out. So either a hunter gets into position real early before dawn and freezes badly, or as we are doing again tomorrow get into a group and do drives. We had deer moving all day. Can’t say any of us are Daniel Boone, but we do our best. The challenge with real cold weather is that standers get cold and move on and then the driver pushes deer to where the stander was.

Last edited:
When it’s so cold the ground is crunchy, sneaking is impossible as you point out. So either a hunter gets into position real early before dawn and freezes badly, or as we are doing again tomorrow get into a group and do drives. We had deer moving all day. Can’t say any of us are Daniel Boone, but we do our best. The challenge with real cold weather is that standers get cold and move on and then the driver pushes deer to where the stander was.
We call standers who can't stay put drivers.

Man I just came in from taking out the garbage and all I can say is ...I'm glad I didn't need to go hunting today. I've hunted on days like this, 'teens, blowing snow, kind of cold that cuts thru everything. In my youth I tolerated it, in my older years I do not look forward to it which is why I always try to get my freezer full in Octobers early doe season. I also applaud those that braved the cold today and congrats to all those that made venison.

Attach files Upload Video