• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

PA Flintlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys from PA, I'm not but i was wandering if you could share so info telling how the flintlock season came into being? Here in Tn we have just a muzzle loader season and i don't know but a couple other guys that hunt with a sidelock most are using modern type and i think because of that our ML season seems to be getting a few days shorter every yr .
I am not in a position or capable to get anything changed about the season's here but i sure wish someone would.Any ideas would be welcomed.

It is my understanding that years ago the old boys want to hunt traditional. So flintlock season was born. Flintlock with round ball only. No orange required and I can use an antler tag to take a doe.

The regulation reads, flintlock ignition single barreled long gun manufactured prI ordered to 1800 or similar reproduction 44 or larger using a single projectile.

That would be nice. In Washington state, every year they relax the ML regulations towards the "modern" side. This year they allowed modern primer ignition. Couple of years before that, saboted (?) bullets. Next will be telescopic sights, which some states allow. Really frustrating. The reason for allowing modern primers was that "a misfire-hang fire" might result in a wounded animal. Really. Use black powder and maybe your gun won't misfire. Oh never mind, then you might have to clean it. Sheeeesh. In a few years, perhaps they will allow "self contained cartridges"....as long as they are loaded with a powder that has something in it to make it smoke. They might as well change ML season to "single shot" season. Then they will allow double barrels. Then triple barrels. Then "quad barrels". !!! On the other hand, when the wolves get done with the deer and elk, won't be any seasons at all.

Well...we are the birthplace of the Pennsylvania Long Rifle (flintlock). The law also encouraged the wearing of traditional clothing; blaze orange is not required, although here in Allegheny County there is a concurrent shotgun (slug only) and archery season on account of an excess deer population.

That would be nice. In Washington state, every year they relax the ML regulations towards the "modern" side. This year they allowed modern primer ignition. Couple of years before that, saboted (?) bullets. Next will be telescopic sights, which some states allow. Really frustrating. The reason for allowing modern primers was that "a misfire-hang fire" might result in a wounded animal. Really. Use black powder and maybe your gun won't misfire. Oh never mind, then you might have to clean it. Sheeeesh. In a few years, perhaps they will allow "self contained cartridges"....as long as they are loaded with a powder that has something in it to make it smoke. They might as well change ML season to "single shot" season. Then they will allow double barrels. Then triple barrels. Then "quad barrels". !!! On the other hand, when the wolves get done with the deer and elk, won't be any seasons at all.
Well do have an early season in October that allows any modern muzzleloader. It is one week and does only.

The Pa flintlock season started around 1976. It was 2 or 3 days, round ball and open sights, on State Game lands only. After several years it was open for two weeks after Christmas state wide and Maxi balls were allowed. I think its back to RB only and peep sights are allowed. No orange required but encouraged. Currently in WMA 2B, 5A and 5B is open for 4 weeks. If I got anything wrong please correct me.

Alabama has a 5 day exclusive muzzleloading(any type gun or bullet) season right before gun season opens, but since the gun season runs 2 1/2 mos., hunt with your choice. 3 bucks and all the does you can find. No tags. Just report the kill on your phone's DCNR app. I use a flintlock all season.

Pennsylvania's first flintlock only season was in 1974 , 3 days, and limited to State Game Lands only. It has since been opened up statewide, for 2 weeks starting December 26. Regulations were to be "original, or reproduction of original rifle made prior to 1800, 44cal and larger".

The Flintlock season tag is purchased in addition to the regular hunting license, and can be used for a buck or doe IF the buck only tag of the regular license is not used. Doe tags are optional for those who choose to hunt does.

Most states change the regs every so often allowing more and more modern pieces to the puzzle. A good friend of mine used to work for the State and he told me there are several reasons for the changes. For them its just a tool for managing wildlife. There is no thought to tradition or preference. When the tool becomes "less usefull to them, meaning the State" in managing wildlife they change it.

Its a sad fact that there are just not a lot of "traditional" firearms hunters, ie.. Flintlocks and sidelocks. So when the managers see numbers going down they change the regs to allow other users to get those tags. I see it with the club I shoot with, Many can barely get around to shoot the trail walk much less hunt for deer and elk anymore.

Also the Managers are interested in total Harvest. Its a game management thing. they try and maintain animals at carrying capacity to reduce winter kill, Animal Damage complaints, disease etc... So when they offer 500 ML tags and they want 50% of the critters removed from the herd people only kill 10%, they figure they need to make it easier for people to be successful so they lift some of the restrictions.

Another reason is the squeaky wheal gets the grease. The unmentionable shooters complain that they are being left out of the ML season unfairly and the Managers listen! They use all kinds of rational like, Traditional is inhumane or ineffective and the uneducated believe it. SO not only do they allow new gadgets to be used, but they begin to limit the traditional firearms by requiring unneeded things like heavier projectiles which makes lead balls illegal to use.

Unfortunate there are only so many hunt days in the year and they just can not (in their view) have separate seasons for all the different types of sporting arm.

Those of us who really want to hunt with our flintlocks, usually just hut during the general firearms season with our rock locks because the ML seasons are usually in terrible units or at terrible times of the year. I would love a Late season Deer or elk ML hunt after Christmas!! Take advantage of what you have, cause it aint getting any better!

Sorry that was my Rant for the Day!

The Pa flintlock season started around 1976. It was 2 or 3 days, round ball and open sights, on State Game lands only. After several years it was open for two weeks after Christmas state wide and Maxi balls were allowed. I think its back to RB only and peep sights are allowed. No orange required but encouraged. Currently in WMA 2B, 5A and 5B is open for 4 weeks. If I got anything wrong please correct me.

The only thing you got wrong is the round ball only. They did away with that sometime back. I think, and I'm not sure about this, but I think PA is the only state that has a flintlock only season. It starts the 26 of this month. Like some others that posted here I hunt with my flintlock right through the regular firearms season.

Sabots and mini balls are still good to go gun just has to be before 1800 prior to caplocks. You get 3 Saturdays. Peeps are fine as long as there isn't any telescopic add ons. Still have to have a tag but unused buck tag will convert to a doe tag anywhere in pa. Muzzleloader privileges is an extra $8. No orange requirement. And is my favorite season.

I don't recall the dates, but maxi balls / sabots being legal was maybe 15 years ago. Apature sights were allowed maybe 10 years ago?
Archery is also allowed in the 2 weeks season after Christmas.
Most gunshops carry flintlock supplies and powder. At least in my area it is very popular. Hunting in general is in decline, and I bet 50% less hunting time by hunters compared to 20 years ago. Generally camps are empty most of the time, and in the past they were packed. It is a good thing to allow flint only, it is a tradition and a foundation. I would never ever use and inline even if they changed the rules. I bet most guys would not allow inclines to be used in hunting parties.

Back