• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Flintlock Only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction to get additional information on PA’s late season flintlock season/hunting. I have gone and researched the state’s website and was looking for more info regarding opportunities. I would like to give this a try and am not a resident of the state. Thanks

Can anyone point me in the direction to get additional information on PA’s late season flintlock season/hunting. I have gone and researched the state’s website and was looking for more info regarding opportunities. I would like to give this a try and am not a resident of the state. Thanks
Pa. Has hundreds of thousands of state game lands and state forests open to public hunting. Feel free to ask any questions you need. BJH

The season is pretty straight forward. Flintlock rifle 44 caliber and up or pistol 50 cal and up. You need a hunting license and muzzle loader sticker. Usual hunting regulations apply. There are concurrent seasons in certain urban areas around Pittsburgh and Phila, called Special regulation areas. (they have a confusing set of rules themselves.) Stay ought of the SRA's and you should be good. PA has lots of Game lands open for hunting. Best if you get a chance to scout your area before hand. There are areas where a hunter can get pretty far back into the woods where he is not likely to see other hunters, if that is your thing. (look up Game Lands 211 on the PA Game Commission site. it is a bout 20 miles end to end with only a few access points.)

Pa's special regs areas are not confusing at all. You just cant use centerfire rifles, thats really the only difference between hunting in a SRA and hunting anywhere else. Hunting during the flintlock season in an SRA is no different than hunting the rest of the state.

You can use your buck tag for either sex deer during flintlick season.

Pa's special regs areas are not confusing at all. You just cant use centerfire rifles, thats really the only difference between hunting in a SRA and hunting anywhere else. Hunting during the flintlock season in an SRA is no different than hunting the rest of the state.

You need to watch county regs too in the urban areas too. If I’m not mistaken Phila. Does not permit single projectile ammo including round ball. Only buck shot and archery. I haven’t lived down in that corner of the state in 40 years so I could be incorrect. BJH

Which direction are you coming from? There are thousands of acres of state forests and game lands that get very little pressure after Christmas. The southeast special regs area will still have more pressure. Since the over the counter 'buck' tag is for both buck or doe in flintlock you can buy a license and a muzzleloader tag and head for the woods!

No muzzle loader pistols in the SRAs, Minimum smooth bore size for hunting in SRAs.. Permitted to hunt over bait in SRAs, Wheel locks and matchlocks were only permitted in the SRA's not in the rest of the state. Percussion and in-line permitted in late season SRA's, not in the rest of the state. Yep, not confusing at all, NOT!

No muzzle loader pistols in the SRAs, Minimum smooth bore size for hunting in SRAs.. Permitted to hunt over bait in SRAs, Wheel locks and matchlocks were only permitted in the SRA's not in the rest of the state. Percussion and in-line permitted in late season SRA's, not in the rest of the state. Yep, not confusing at all, NOT!
Thats for the firearms season for deer and bear in special regs. The flintlock regs are different.

Nonetheless, confusing as can be

I dont know where you got this info from, but its wrong and incomplete.

This is direct from the regs book;

Allegheny county - Centerfire rifles are not lawful. Muzzleloading long guns 44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, crossbows, manual or semi-auto shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs, buckshot is not permitted.

Philadelphia county - Only bows and arrows, including crossbows.

Remaining counties - Centerfire rifles are not lawful. Muzzleloading long guns, 44 caliber or larger, manual or auto loading shotguns, 410 or larger using slugs, 20 gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds. Ridler Creek and Tyler state parks - Manual or semi automatic shotguns 20 gauge or larger using buckshot during special regulated deer hunts only, bows and arrows and cross bows.

First off, there is nothing mentioned of wheel locks and match locks. They mention every thing that is legal during whatever season youre hunting in. During regular deer season bows, shotguns, or muzzle loaders are legal, just like the rest of the state. During the muzzle loader seasons, its the same as the rest of the state. During the late flintlock season its the same as the rest of the state. I will admit I was unaware of the no muzzleloading pistol rules.

The only real difference between the SRA areas and the rest of the state is the concurrent shotgun season that goes on when flintlock season is in effect. However those hunting with shotguns normally do not have muzzleloader permits, and are hunting does only with appropriate doe permit. If they are hunting with a muzzleloader during the late season, then they are following the same rules as the rest of the state.

As I mentioned, its really not confusing at all. The main regulation is no centerfire rifles allowed. Of course this pertains to the regular rifle season. So what then is left, that which I mentioned, shotguns bows an muzzle loaders.

Last edited:
I dont know where you got this info from, but its wrong and incomplete.

This is direct from the regs book;

Allegheny county - Centerfire rifles are not lawful. Muzzleloading long guns 44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, crossbows, manual or semi-auto shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs, buckshot is not permitted.

Philadelphia county - Only bows and arrows, including crossbows.

Remaining counties - Centerfire rifles are not lawful. Muzzleloading long guns, 44 caliber or larger, manual or auto loading shotguns, 410 or larger using slugs, 20 gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds. Ridler Creek and Tyler state parks - Manual or semi automatic shotguns 20 gauge or larger using buckshot during special regulated deer hunts only, bows and arrows and cross bows.

First off, there is nothing mentioned of wheel locks and match locks. They mention every thing that is legal during whatever season youre hunting in. During regular deer season bows, shotguns, or muzzle loaders are legal, just like the rest of the state. During the muzzle loader seasons, its the same as the rest of the state. During the late flintlock season its the same as the rest of the state. I will admit I was unaware of the no muzzleloading pistol rules.

The only real difference between the SRA areas and the rest of the state is the concurrent shotgun season that goes on when flintlock season is in effect. However those hunting with shotguns normally do not have muzzleloader permits, and are hunting does only with appropriate doe permit. If they are hunting with a muzzleloader during the late season, then they are following the same rules as the rest of the state.

As I mentioned, its really not confusing at all. The main regulation is no centerfire rifles allowed. Of course this pertains to the regular rifle season. So what then is left, that which I mentioned, shotguns bows an muzzle loaders.

First of all, that is NOT the regulations. That is a moronic lay person write up of the actual regulations. If you check your book of moronic pablum, you will find near the beginning that it even says it is NOT the law or regulations.

The regulation that specifies the requirements for the SRA is 141.1. It is entirely seperate from the regulation that sets forth the requirements for the other deer seasons (regulation 141.43. Regulations for the flintlock, muzzleloader and regular firearm season are clear and require that muzzle loaders must be flint, percussion or primer ignition for the other deer seasons. The regulation for the SRA, (141,.1) is totally different and permits any muzzle loader of proper caliber., not just one of the three ignition systems specified for the rest of the state that is why matchlocks, wheel locks and needle ignition are permitted in the SRA and not the rest of the state.

Now to add to the confusion, is a smooth bore muzzle loader a shot gun? When does a smooth bore muzzle loader require buck shot? The Commission hasn't ever clarified the difference between a smooth bore muzzle loader and a shot gun. And centerfire shotguns with rifling are permitted. (Although I never understood how a shotgun with rifling is not a rifle, it certainly isn't intended for shot.)

BTW: here from the Digest you refer to page 4 on the bottom left corner: "This digest is not the Game & Wildlife Code or its attendant regulations, and should not be considered final on legal interpretation. Questions about laws can be directed to your nearest Game Commission office. "

I was an attorney for 45 years and NEVER lost a case involving the Commission.

Last edited:
So youre saying that the regulations booklet that every hunter gets with his or her license is incorrect? So just why would the pgc offer the hunter a set of suggestions and not show them the actual regulations? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Id still like to know where youre getting your information from because its something that Ive never seen, nor has probably every other Pa hunter.

It kills me when somebody quotes nonexistant drivel then criticizes the person who posts the actual verbage from the regulations booklet. Ive heard this manure a hundred times. The game wardens have their own set of rules! Uh ok, then whats the point of us getting a regs book thrn if their not the actual rules? What a bunch of BS!

POST WHERE YOU GOT THESE SO CALLED RULES FROM AND NOT JUST SOME MADE UP PARAGRAPH NUMBERS.

I think what he is referring to is that the 'Hunting Digest' of rules and regs that you get with your license purchase is a summary of the actual law and regulations (Title 34 - PA Game and Wildlife Code and Chapter 141 - Hunting Regulations) which are the actual laws related to hunting and wildlife in PA.

So youre saying that the regulations booklet that every hunter gets with his or her license is incorrect? So just why would the pgc offer the hunter a set of suggestions and not show them the actual regulations? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Id still like to know where youre getting your information from because its something that Ive never seen, nor has probably every other Pa hunter.

It kills me when somebody quotes nonexistant drivel then criticizes the person who posts the actual verbage from the regulations booklet. Ive heard this manure a hundred times. The game wardens have their own set of rules! Uh ok, then whats the point of us getting a regs book thrn if their not the actual rules? What a bunch of BS!

POST WHERE YOU GOT THESE SO CALLED RULES FROM AND NOT JUST SOME MADE UP PARAGRAPH NUMBERS.

What part of this quote from page 4 of the digest did you not understand? This digest is not the Game & Wildlife Code or its attendant regulations,

Sorry sir, but did you for a half second believe that the Penn Dot driver's manual was the actual law passed by the legislature? The Game Commission Digest/ comic book/ moronic pablum, has several errors. It has had errors for decades. I did not make up the regulation section numbers, thought the numbers would be enough for you to go to the Commission web site and read for your self what the actual regulations say. Peregrine put up the links for you to find them. For years the digest said any muzzle loader long gun 44 cal and over was legal for the regular firearm season. Technically that was wrong. The regs for the regular firearms season require a muzzle loader with flint, percussion or primer ignition. The CVA electra was never legal in the early muzzle loader season despite what the digest said. It was never legal for the regular firearms season nor was it legal for bear. Not flintlock, percussion or primer as required by the regulations. The digest said peep sights were legal for a few years when they were not. (they are now) The definition of safety zone in the digest was incomplete for decades and some innocent hunters paid fines when in fact they had not violated the law.

Again, what part of what the Commission put on page 4 of the digest do you not understand: This digest is not the Game & Wildlife Code or its attendant regulations,

I have to tell you guys from Pennsylvania a funny story about your "Flintlock Only Season".

In the late 80's I was president of the "Colorado State Muzzleloading Association". We are Leadville CO for the yearly championships, a dozen of us are in a tipi one evening having an association officers meeting. We're talking about the seasons being offered by the state, numbers of permits and so on.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania and mention that a cousin (still in PA) had mentioned the new rules and the Flintlock Only Season. Someone outside the tipi hears Flintlock Only Season and spread the word that I was pushing this for our state of Colorado.

The meeting was over and I left the lodge and see a group of mad folks outside, mad at me for mentioning the Flintlock Only Season idea. It took me an hour to settle these folks down then find out who was the big mouth that had spread the word. Not a good time folks.

I have to tell you guys from Pennsylvania a funny story about your "Flintlock Only Season".

In the late 80's I was president of the "Colorado State Muzzleloading Association". We are Leadville CO for the yearly championships, a dozen of us are in a tipi one evening having an association officers meeting. We're talking about the seasons being offered by the state, numbers of permits and so on.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania and mention that a cousin (still in PA) had mentioned the new rules and the Flintlock Only Season. Someone outside the tipi hears Flintlock Only Season and spread the word that I was pushing this for our state of Colorado.

The meeting was over and I left the lodge and see a group of mad folks outside, mad at me for mentioning the Flintlock Only Season idea. It took me an hour to settle these folks down then find out who was the big mouth that had spread the word. Not a good time folks.

You should have gone ahead and followed through with it, since they were angry already. Obviously there are tons of guys in Pennsylvania who wish that they allowed percussion guns or....gasp....unmentionables, but there are scads of guys who really love the late flintlock only season and who would fight tooth and nail to keep it. I sent comments to the commission suggesting a very limited buck only, flintlock only season for the fall of the year as well. It won't fly, but I felt obligated to make my thoughts heard.

I have hunted PA for 40 years. Never knew that buckshot was allowed for any legal game. Didn’t know auto loading shotguns were legal for deer anywhere . Flintlock season sounds self explanatory “ flintlock “

Back