• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Flintlock Only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our friends have also camped out in the late season but most years they already have their camper winterized by then.

I stated in my post that either sex is legal.But me personally I. Wouldn't shoot a Sow or Cub but both are legal.The Cubs are usually still with mommy when the season is in.A lot of people usually watch the Bear for awhile to make sure that she doesn't have a Cub or Cubs in tow.

It is very cut and dry if your talkin percs and flints and inlines.It just isn,t for the other f/arms as Zimm MENTIONED. Our after XMAS late season is F/LOCK only .45 cal and up and .50 cal and up pistol.Our early season is A/Less only and you can use a inline or perc.or flinty .45 cal and up and .50 cal and up pistol.We also now have a Bear Muzzy season which I,m pretty sure includes the same options as the early muzzy except that either sex Bear is legal.Some weapons like Zimm said like the long gone CVA Electra isn,t legal in any Muzzy season but may be allowed in the regular F/arms season.(But I have my doubts)You can also use your Flint or Percs or inlines .45 cal and up(except possibly the Electra)in the regular f/arms season for any Deer that you hold tags for.

44 caliber and up for rifles. Here's the reg for flintlock:

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open or aperture sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use manmade materials attached to the hammer or frizzen to create sparks.

(ii) Use telescopic sights.

(iii) Use or possess multiple projectile ammunition or ammunition other than required under section 2322(a)(4) of the act (relating to prohibited devices and methods), except as authorized under section 2525 of the act.

(iv) Use or possess a device or ammunition not provided for in the act or in this subsection, except as authorized under section 2525 of the act.

Our friends have also camped out in the late season but most years they already have their camper winterized by then.

There's a group that camp even more primitive than a camper. At the black powder club down the road, guys would set up their rendezvous tents and camp out in January. They are about 3 miles from a state game lands. Don't think they have done it for a couple years though. One of the regulars passed away three years ago.

From Freezing?
There's a group that camp even more primitive than a camper. At the black powder club down the road, guys would set up their rendezvous tents and camp out in January. They are about 3 miles from a state game lands. Don't think they have done it for a couple years though. One of the regulars passed away three years ago.

My hunting buddies and I have hunted the Pa. flintlock season since the early 1970's , when it started. Unless you are a tree stand hunter , or blind hunter on a good farm field situation with crops , or feed fields , the best situation is to learn how to still hunt deer. We hunted State game lands where we walked back into winter yarding areas. Deer concentrate near small streams for access to water , and feed on west facing sunny hill sides. Using these 18th century tactics , we killed flintlock deer every year. If we got bonus tags , we filled those , as well. Some of the best hunting days are in the worst weather. It's not for folks who can't walk, or are not patient. To track a fresh deer track all day , and get an opportunity for a shot , is a special satisfaction. Most of the time if hunting in the Pa. back woods , you might never see another person. I'm an old guy now with a medical condition from work stress , and can't do the legwork to still hunt. That's ok , It was fun beyond description..................oldwood :thumb:

They did use a large tent with a wood stove on year but that was for the regular firearms season.I have heard of those winter encampments and have been envious.Some are old school with teepee style tents and some use military style large tents.

I have never camped in January, but I did early December in a 10 x 10 wall tent.. We had 4 inches of snow that week and mornings down to the upper teens. We found that just a single candle lit for an hour raised the temperature inside the tent by about 10 degrees. So when we were in camp, we burned 4 candles till late and things stayed pretty good. Actually got a little too warm so we did with less candles some evenings. A couple of good HB blankets and a canvas covering kept me toasty at night, even without the candles.

My hunting buddies and I have hunted the Pa. flintlock season since the early 1970's , when it started. Unless you are a tree stand hunter , or blind hunter on a good farm field situation with crops , or feed fields , the best situation is to learn how to still hunt deer. We hunted State game lands where we walked back into winter yarding areas. Deer concentrate near small streams for access to water , and feed on west facing sunny hill sides. Using these 18th century tactics , we killed flintlock deer every year. If we got bonus tags , we filled those , as well. Some of the best hunting days are in the worst weather. It's not for folks who can't walk, or are not patient. To track a fresh deer track all day , and get an opportunity for a shot , is a special satisfaction. Most of the time if hunting in the Pa. back woods , you might never see another person. I'm an old guy now with a medical condition from work stress , and can't do the legwork to still hunt. That's ok , It was fun beyond description..................oldwood :thumb:
That's how I roll as well. It seems that the older and slower I get the better the still hunting gets.

I enjoy the still hunting- I get better (Slower) each year.

Decided to get a Carbine for Ease of carry

Should be handy this year if I get to PA along with my Renegade.
56A81D29-ED81-453F-A7C7-5891D1738DA6.jpeg
7B911163-C349-4E37-A52F-50D1F580809A.jpeg

That,s right you do still hunt.I seen a pic of you in a tree stand.That is still huntin.I crawl in weeds and brush and ambush and sneak and stalk.You can still hunt in a blind or stand. I stalk hunt.I can,t believe on how people take things from no nuthin mag rag writers and use their gibberish.🤮 That,s city hunters for ya.

My idea of Still hunting Consists of Careful Stepping over everything heal down first as slow and carefully as possible- so not to make a sound… scanning the Woods for any movement, Gun at ready… And covering some ground. I’ve successfully and un successfully killed game that way… Plenty of large bucks I’ve seen doing that. Just after a rain is the best. If done Correctly, you can get very close to game- Yet don’t Become complacent, That’s when you usually see something. Still hunter = Being “Almost” At Still and not Moving.

In a tree or a blind all day with a Rock lock Muzzleloader waiting for the other guys to walk around pushing up the deer works also.
That’s more huntin than what they do in Africa (Jump in the Truck and drive next to the animal) just saying.

That,s right you do still hunt.I seen a pic of you in a tree stand.That is still huntin.I crawl in weeds and brush and ambush and sneak and stalk.You can still hunt in a blind or stand. I stalk hunt.I can,t believe on how people take things from no nuthin mag rag writers and use their gibberish.🤮 That,s city hunters for ya.
I can't stand hunt, I have 2300 acres that I live on to cover every day, so it's far from city. I only ever stalked al qaeda and taliban, but that a big city response that's you gave there.

Last edited:
I am a sitter, got a hunting buddy who says he can walk hunt deer and will walk big circles around me when hunting, I kill deer and he wonders why he cant see one. Yes it can be done but I would wager there are more put on the ground bye sitting than walking. No one is smarter than a old buck as to a ambush bye craw in the weed and brush, Mr. buck is laughing his A22 off long before you see him. if the deer could shoot back there would be no hunters.

I agree with both camps because I have done both styles of hunting. They both work- Still hunting is real focus/determination. Seen plenty of Big bucks like that… Getting the shot is the trick. Sitting and waiting can get challenging after 5+ hours…. And not seeing or hearing anything. Just do a bit of both and try your luck, Because being in the rite place and time really is what it’s all about.

Last edited:
Back