• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

PA fall turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PA hunters check with the PA game commission about taking fall turkeys with a rifle of any kind. Just renewed my license today and reading from the Game digest pg 36 says centerfire and rimfire rifles are not permitted. Muzzleloading rifles are permitted, but the rules may change after this digest is permitted. Just checked on line with the PA game commission, It doesn't say whether muzzleloading rifles are prohibited or allowed. One section specifies centerfire rifles while another just says rifles! I am even more confused. Will make a direct call to my regional game commission office this week and report back.

Last edited:
Haven’t checked lately, but 5 or 6 years ago you could hunt turkey with a smoothbore and a patched roundball in NC. Never happened for me, although I have gotten them with shot out of a muzzleloading shotgun. Have not researched any changes or current regulations.

Last edited:
There is some discussion, okay a lot of discussion on the Pa forum and the PGC has said "no single projectiles" is the rule regardless of loading method.
Stinks for sure - shot only in both spring and fall now. Apparently those darned flintlock riflemen were decimating the flocks.

updated: Here is the question and answer to/from the PGC

#41 · Aug 24, 2021

Here was my question to PGC comments and their answer.

There is some confusion in the digest about the changes to legal arms for the fall turkey season. Is a muzzle loading rifle legal with a patched round ball?

good afternoon.
Single projectile ammunition is not legal in the fall turkey season.

Thanks for checking
jh@pgc.

Last edited:
I don't think any of the game wardens down here know what the rules are. I had 4 of them argue over whether it was legal for me to kill a deer with a cap & ball revolver over .40 cal. 3 of them said it was a violation and proceeded to write me up. Then I pulled out a response I received from the Game Dept. (FWC) pointing out that cap and ball revolvers were legal to kill deer during muzzleloading season.
The 4th game warden said to them, "See, I told you."

My opinion on this matter is the PGC did this because of the archers hunting at the same time as fall turkey hunters. Their idea of rifles being of longer range and lethality, other hunters could be injured. I think this is ludicrous, but it is a consideration. I don't hunt turkeys in the fall, due to all the other hunters in the woods chasing other game, so I'm not real concerned about this change.

The use of buckshot is now illegal save for two state park drawing type hunts in the southeast region. I had wanted to try a buckshot load in my flintlock smoothbore this year for deer, but that's not happening now.

The digest and the website clearly state that muzzleloading rifles, shotguns and handguns are amongst the lawful arms and ammunition for fall turkey. It specifically prohibits centerfire rifles, but not muzzleloaders.

Just got off the phone with the North East Office of the PA Game Commission. I directly asked if muzzleloading Rifles were legal for fall turkey? I was told shotguns only! Does anybody really know what time it is????:dunno::dunno:

Back