• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ozark made guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What can you tell me about Ozark-made guns? The region extends through Missouri, Arkansas and a bit of Eastern Oklahoma. What sort of guns would settlers have brought to the region?

Never studied Ozark made guns , but the second part of your inquiry might be easier. The regions west of the Mississippi and south of where the Ohio flows into the Mississippi were a pipeline for guns coming down the Ohio river from the major gun building center of Pittsburgh , Pa. , and the surrounding area. Guaranteed many M/L's were built in Appalachia and eastern states , and were carried south , then west across the Mississippi. Just about any flint lock from the pre 1850's or any percussion gun from post 1850's might fit your needs. What might help is , if you could narrow down further the historical time period , you're thinking about that would be helpful.......oldwood

At Arrowrock mo there was a builder Sikes, his shop is still there with some of his equipment. The town has many SMR in private shops but on display. Slim graceful and mostly percussion with drum.
Iron, brass and some silver mounted.

What can you tell me about Ozark-made guns? The region extends through Missouri, Arkansas and a bit of Eastern Oklahoma. What sort of guns would settlers have brought to the region?

Mostly percussion, .44 caliber and under, half-stock, full-stock, probably a lot of smoothbores.

Typically a .31/.32 to .40/.41 caliber drum and nipple percussion rifle.

Back