• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oz to grains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know is this is the porper board but will aply to others as well.
I am going to try 12ga percussion for turkey this spring.
Alot of the references say use 1.5 oz. of shot or more - depends on load not the question.
I need a conversion factor/table for grians to ounces and visa versa.
In other words how many oz. equals how many grains?
Amy help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
doc623

7,000 grains to the pound.

16 oz to the pound.

So: 437.5 grains to the oz.

1.5 oz of shot would be 656-1/4 grains.

Another handy conversion: 1 dram = 27.5 grains.

Lots of old measures are marked in drams.

POWDER MEASURE SETTINGS TO THROW OUNCES OF BIRD SHOT:
50 grain setting = 3/4 ounce of shot
60 grain setting = 7/8 ounce of shot
70 grain setting = 1 once of shot
80 grain setting = 1 1/8 ounce of shot
90 grain setting = 1 1/4 ounce of shot
100 grain setting = 1 3/8 ounce of shot
110 grain setting = 1 1/2 ounce of shot
120 grain setting = 1 5/8 ounce of shot

When I asked a similar question, this is how it was explained to me. So I figure for a Turkey load I would shoot 80 grains of FFg powder and 110 grains of #6 shot. This is for my .62 caliber. The shot will be put in a paper shot cup. I was told this will give excellent down range grouping and energy. I figure this would put a lot of shot out there with good energy. I have not had a chance to try the load yet.

110 grs. of shot would only be about 1/4 oz. Did you really mean to say that? ::

The reference is to the 110 grain "SETTING" on an adjustable powder measure (or a fixed 110grn powder measure)

:)Your right on the money Cayugad, in my 62 bore Trade Gun I used 75-80gr. and crank it up to 110gr. for the #5 shot. Only difference I cut 5 3/8" slits in paper cups and have tested this combination and the results were great patterns, 20% better than without cups. Without the slits I found that had some that punched 60cal holes in my turkey target. :curse: Its good enough sos I bagged two turkey's with one shot at 28yd. couple years back :winking:

Dick

That sounds good. I will test the paper shot cup both ways. I am real excited about turkey hunting this year.

A rather nice thing happened the other day. I looked out my back window and watched four hens and a young gobbler working the edge of the field behind my house. So of course I had to get the binoculars out. Then I got the Lynch box call and talked to them a little bit. The gobbler was excited, but not stupid. He stayed in the edge of the woods. But it sure makes the upcoming season sound better.

Back