• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Overpriced sellers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People selling beat up revolvers and asking 50-100 bucks more than a brand new one costs retail. Then they get annoyed like "guess no one wants this!" No sir we don't want your $270 .44 Brass Navy that looks like it was beat with a hammer

Antique dealers are used to selling plates and old garbage. When they get a hold of some broke down original rifle, they think it’s priceless! I’ve seen old guns that were missing the locks, with major failures throughout the stock being held together with rusty wire with an asking price of $3k! I ask if some revolutionary war general owned it, or it fired the first shot at valley forge? They look at me with this stupid look on their face and assure me that this piece of manure is an “original “…
I've seen at gun shows, old cap-n-ball rifles laid out in pieces, like how they reconstruct a skeleton on those coroner shows, with rotted stock around the lock, just pure junk, and a 500 dollar price tag. Your mention of historic use is good; btw, there was no battle at Valley Forge at all; it was the wintering-over place for the Army while it got some drill from Von Steuben, and also Washington ordered everyone to be vaccinated for smallpox; this may have saved the entire Army. Antique dealers sometimes don't realize the value of things if it's not in their wheelhouse of knowledge.

A few months ago I heard this firsthand at a gun show. A friend of the seller asked him why he had his guns 2 to 3 times the going price and he flat out said he has no intention of selling any guns but if somebody would be dumb enough to pay that price he would sell it. The only reason he was there was to Low ball kids walking around with Grampa‘s rifle. Then again with it so easy to find comparable prices I don’t have too much sympathy for people who overpay or under sell their firearms
I guess this is why they call it a gun 'show'. They lay them out so people can look at them, then they pack them up and take them home until the can be shown off again.

If there was a chance for a good deal they'd have to call it a gun sale, ha!

Exactly...
However, that does not mean I want to associate with them or help them in any way. I find people who take advantage of others who are less knowledgeable or versed in a subject or the value of an item to be less than honorable and like a drug dealer, will do anything for money!

However, that does not mean I want to associate with them or help them in any way. I find people who take advantage of others who are less knowledgeable or versed in a subject or the value of an item to be less than honorable and like a drug dealer, will do anything for money!
Yep. I've seen it happen time and time again and the seller walks away laughing about how they burnt the buyer to their buddies. In my opinion, this is one of the main reasons gun show turnouts have decreased over the years. You pay $10 to get in the show, then you have to deal with all the overpriced items which just leaves you frustrated. If you factor in your entry fee, lunch, and gas money into the deal you are better off just ordering whatever you were after online and giving your local FFL the transfer fee. You can find much better deals on unmentionable ammo online anyways.

I feel like the days of $1000 muskets are over. Regimental Quartermaster posted a few months ago that they finally got in some Pedersoli 1861 Springfields and Lorenz muskets. They were like $1600 and $1700 respectively. When I got in this hobby 10 years ago you could pick up nearly any military muzzleloader replica for $1000 or less.

I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess from a Cabela's sale last year for $999. I think those days are gone.

I've heard rumors that Armisport/Chiappa is discontinuing the M1842.

Percussion Revolvers seem to be holding pretty reasonably prices at places like MidwayUSA.

You're on the money there! Unrealistic greed, pure and simple.

seller claims it's "rare", "antique", etc.

And gots to love that any 1850 - 1865 musket was 'Confederate captured' and X5 what a plain jane Yanqui musket would sell for.

ETA: Any For Sale ad that proclaims it is "rare", "antique", "unfired", or "Confederate capture" just gets passed over as a scam.

Last edited:
I bought one but have never tried it, but “borescope” cameras that connect to an iPhone are pretty cheap.
I have the following:

Teslong Rifle Borescope with 4.5'' Screen, 0.2inch Gun Cleaning Camera Fits .20 Caliber & Larger Hunting Shooting Firearms, Gun Barrel Scope with Ring Lights, Right Angle Mirror & 45'' Camera Probe​

~$140 on Amazon now but $65-90 on EBay

It works awesome...

I feel like the days of $1000 muskets are over. Regimental Quartermaster posted a few months ago that they finally got in some Pedersoli 1861 Springfields and Lorenz muskets. They were like $1600 and $1700 respectively. When I got in this hobby 10 years ago you could pick up nearly any military muzzleloader replica for $1000 or less.

I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess from a Cabela's sale last year for $999. I think those days are gone.

I've heard rumors that Armisport/Chiappa is discontinuing the M1842.

Percussion Revolvers seem to be holding pretty reasonably prices at places like MidwayUSA.
I have one of the M1842's. Very nice replica that got excellent reviews for authenticity, except the slightly flattened trigger guard. (The factory duplicated the example one which had a somewhat flattened trigger guard; no one noticed!) I have the rifled one, some were offered smooth which I almost wish mine was. Replica Enfields were offered smooth, too, at $75 less, just for re-enacting use. I'm impressed with the positive comments I've seen about Midway; haven't ordered from them but will keep in mind.

Yep. I've seen it happen time and time again and the seller walks away laughing about how they burnt the buyer to their buddies. In my opinion, this is one of the main reasons gun show turnouts have decreased over the years. You pay $10 to get in the show, then you have to deal with all the overpriced items which just leaves you frustrated. If you factor in your entry fee, lunch, and gas money into the deal you are better off just ordering whatever you were after online and giving your local FFL the transfer fee. You can find much better deals on unmentionable ammo online anyways.
If you are already frustrated before you go in...."don't go in and waste 10 bucks".

If you're upset about so-called overpriced sellers in a free economy, then just hold on for a little while. You see the way things are going, the government will take all your frustrations away and set the prices on everything. Of course you won't be able to buy primers, percussion caps, muzzleloaders, cf firearms, round balls, bullets, black powder, smokeless powder, or anything else the government doesn't want you to have. WHY? Because you will be under a totalitarian, dictatorial, communist, fascist system. See? No more complaints....or are there?!

I'd be curious to see just how much is netted by the guy who puts on the show. He makes a fair amount from each table there but the overhead must be huge.But apparently a profit is made, the shows are still going on.

If you're upset about so-called overpriced sellers in a free economy, then just hold on for a little while. You see the way things are going, the government will take all your frustrations away and set the prices on everything. Of course you won't be able to buy primers, percussion caps, muzzleloaders, cf firearms, round balls, bullets, black powder, smokeless powder, or anything else the government doesn't want you to have. WHY? Because you will be under a totalitarian, dictatorial, communist, fascist system. See? No more complaints....or are there?!
Apparently the MidTerms did not go the way many thought they would. I guess that will make people feel like "we will be under a totalitarian, dictatorial, communist, fascist system." or that we just had free elections and the people spoke what was on their collective mind? :dunno:

Apparently the MidTerms did not go the way many thought they would. I guess that will make people feel like "we will be under a totalitarian, dictatorial, communist, fascist system." or that we just had free elections and the people spoke what was on their collective mind? :dunno:
Actually there was so much fraud in the last election, why even call them free elections. You have no clue what happens behind the closed walls. No one even trusts election personal anymore....with good reason. We have seen how elections in Nazi Germany, Stalin's Russia, Mao's China, Castro's, Cuba, Papa Doc's, Haiti all went. Exactly the way the dictatorial leader wanted it to go. So free elections, free economy, free speech, free-dom.....say goodbye to it all. Don't think it can happen 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back