• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Overpriced sellers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swordofkeith

32 Cal
Reaction score
Sometimes I just don't understand people. I was out with my wife looking at antique stores and we found one with 2 Pedersoli flintlock muskets for sale. Last time I found a Black Powder shotgun in great condition at a different antique store and got it for $100. I asked the owner what he wanted for them. He told me what he wanted, then he stated that he was firm on his prices. The guns were used, there was a Brown Bess that he wanted a whopping $1855 for it. He also had a 1763 Charleville that he wanted $1755 for it. He told me he paid over $2000 for each back in the 90's which I found hard to believe and proceeded to say "thanks I'll consider it." , then got out of there promptly. I was a former firearms salesman for Cabelas/ Bass Pro and I KNOW that the Pedersoli Brown Bess new in box sells at our store for $1000-$1200 depending on xmas deals (cause we've had them and I've sold them before.) I was in the market for his 1763 Charleville for my Revolutionary war reenacting but after what he stated, I did research and again he is asking more than what the gun sells for new in box with warranty. I just cannot understand people like this at all. I have witnessed a lot of this at the gun shows I visit often. Guns lately don't "leave the show" they just "switch tables" at best with other vendors purchasing them. Lots of people putting their guns out at the " I don't want to sell it price". What happened to gun show discounts and used prices?

Last edited:
Sometimes I just don't understand people. I was out with my wife looking at antique stores and we found one with 2 Pedersoli flintlock muskets for sale. Last time I found a Black Powder shotgun in great condition at a different antique store and got it for $100. I asked the owner what he wanted for them. He told me what he wanted, then he stated that he was firm on his prices. The guns were used, there was a Brown Bess that he wanted a whopping $1855 for it. He also had a 1763 Charleville that he wanted $1755 for it. He told me he paid over $2000 for each back in the 90's which I found hard to believe and proceeded to say "thanks I'll consider it." , then got out of there promptly. I was a former firearms salesman for Cabelas/ Bass Pro and I KNOW that the Pedersoli Brown Bess new in box sells at our store for $1000-$1200 depending on xmas deals (cause we've had them and I've sold them before.) I was in the market for his 1763 Charleville for my Revolutionary war reenacting but after what he stated, I did research and again he is asking more than what the gun sells for new in box with warranty. I just cannot understand people like this at all. I have witnessed a lot of this at the gun shows I visit often. Guns lateely don't "leave the show" they just "switch tables" at best with other vendors purchasing them. Lots of people putting their guns out at the " I don't want to sell it price". What happened to gun show discounts and used prices?
You're on the money there! Unrealistic greed, pure and simple.

Sometimes I just don't understand people. I was out with my wife looking at antique stores and we found one with 2 Pedersoli flintlock muskets for sale. Last time I found a Black Powder shotgun in great condition at a different antique store and got it for $100. I asked the owner what he wanted for them. He told me what he wanted, then he stated that he was firm on his prices. The guns were used, there was a Brown Bess that he wanted a whopping $1855 for it. He also had a 1763 Charleville that he wanted $1755 for it. He told me he paid over $2000 for each back in the 90's which I found hard to believe and proceeded to say "thanks I'll consider it." , then got out of there promptly. I was a former firearms salesman for Cabelas/ Bass Pro and I KNOW that the Pedersoli Brown Bess new in box sells at our store for $1000-$1200 depending on xmas deals (cause we've had them and I've sold them before.) I was in the market for his 1763 Charleville for my Revolutionary war reenacting but after what he stated, I did research and again he is asking more than what the gun sells for new in box with warranty. I just cannot understand people like this at all. I have witnessed a lot of this at the gun shows I visit often. Guns lateely don't "leave the show" they just "switch tables" at best with other vendors purchasing them. Lots of people putting their guns out at the " I don't want to sell it price". What happened to gun show discounts and used prices?
No one knows what goes through the mind of the owner. However, when I don't feel the price is worth the product, I just keep going. The owner will always sell for his price eventually.

Now that I'm older and much more jaded, ahem, "experienced", I look at antique shops and gun shows as more like comic entertainment venues. "What manner of Baron Munchausenesque tales will be spun for my benefit today?", I ask myself, upon entering said domains. Unless the item is a toothed hen rarity, there's probably dozens of the identical "gotta have" item gathering dust in dozens of other places just waiting for you to give it a new home.....at a much better price. Just because they want to sell it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

One of the downsides of the internet is that the buyer has more resources for appraising items, but so does the seller. Sometimes I look at antique helmets at flea markets and they will be priced almost exactly the same as the first/priciest item on eBay, even if they are something a little esoteric.

People confuse sticker prices at gunshows with what you can actually buy the item for. Found out long ago if you don't put a price tag on things, you don't get as many sales. Simple sign on my tables .."Make me an offer" gets the ball rolling. Tag prices are a way to start a deal and haggling's a "given" for many sellers/buyers.

Pawnshops, LGS's, etc. are not Wal-Mart. That said, every gunshow will have guys with the same guns at every show (over priced), They're there to buy/trade. If someone actually pays their high prices, it's rare but does happen. If I want something, it's perfectly acceptable to ask or make an offer.

Yesterday, I sold a Dixie Flint SMR. Started with a tag of $550, offer was $400. Sold for $500. That's how it works.

Reminds me of a shop I went to in seaside, great looking items from the window, could see a harpers ferry rifle for sale, plus other cool stuff. Went in when it opened. Was looking at the rifle, owner said it was original wanted $2800 for it. When I looked at it close up, it was a Japanese reproduction. I told him it was not original, he acted surprised, then said most would not notice. I left the shop.

I went to a flea market a couple months ago and saw a long pattern brown bess on a table. I looked at it briefly quickly coming to the conclusion it was not original. He told me he got it from a estate clean out and the family told him the man had it for at least 75 years. He wanted $2000 for it. I pointed out it had no proof marks on the barrel. Not the correct age and patina for a musket that old. He laughed and said he brought it to a gun shop and they said it should be in a museum. I walked away. Some weeks later i saw the guy and inquired about the musket again.he was now more accommodating to the idea of selling it. I went to see it again. The barrel and lock with flash guard was dirty. He had a bayonette and belt with repo ax. And a pair of colonial shoes! I told him this was a reanactors gun likely made in india. I was hoping it was a custom contemporary bess but when i removed the barrel sure enough 11/04/11 Udipur india. He relented and i got a great deal and a fine shooting musket. Point was alot of these sellers just dont know what they have and some careful education went a long way. He payed $1000 for it. He had not idea.

That's the reason I stopped going to gun shows and specialty shops. Everything they have for sale is made of gold, or at least that's how they price them and I get tired of people trying to pull the wool over my eyes. If the price is just a tad high I might make an offer, but if the price is stupid I don't waste my time or theirs.

That's the reason I stopped going to gun shows and specialty shops. Everything they have for sale is made of gold, or at least that's how they price them and I get tired of people trying to pull the wool over my eyes. If the price is just a tad high I might make an offer, but if the price is stupid I don't waste my time or theirs.
Yeah, I used to enjoy pawn shops but they are so outrageous on their prices anymore, I can't have faith going into them now. Right before I left WA for good, there was a pawn shop that had 2 Pietta 1858 Remingtons, one was the normal and the other was the silver steel model. They were consignment guns and the "seller" was asking $400 each. probably still there too. Another shop I went to years ago after a reenactment had a India made reproduction Brown Bess carbine that someone browned the barrel. since the barrel was altered that way, it wasn't ideal for reenacting, so I lost interest. However the owners of the shop asked me (since I was still in my outfit) about pricing it cause they had no idea and wanted to put a price of $10,000 on it. I politely held in a laugh and asked where they were getting that number and they showed me some Gunbroker ad for a "flintlock fusil" asking 10k for it. The gun in the ad was not the same firearm (like nowhere near the same) as the one they had. When I stated what it probably would sell for, the sadness in their eyes I will never forget.

Last edited:
My gun show story -

Years ago, there used to be a nice little gun show near where I live. After paying my admission there was a table off to the right with both antique and or vintage double-barrel unmentionables. I spotted one that caught my eye and out of professional courtesy I asked the vendor if I could pick it up and look at it. He gave me a smirk and a snarky "What do you think it's there for" reply.

After looking it over and checking all the things I look for, I asked him if he was willing to dicker for a cash offer. He literally snatched it away, put it back on the table and told me if I wanted it, I could pay what's on the tag. I thanked him and walked away. Later that day, I spotted another unmentionable that I liked, and I couldn't get that guy to budge for cash either.

One of my gun show tactics is to go back on Sunday afternoon while they are packing it all up to drag to the next show and try again. While I was haggling with the second guy, the first guy amazingly tapped me on the shoulder and asked "Hey, do you still want that Lefever?" I looked right at him and told him "I wouldn't buy it from you now for $10 bucks. You must have missed customer service class."

I walked out with the second one.

Yeah, I used to enjoy pawn shops but they are so outrageous on their prices anymore, I can't have faith going into them now. Right before I left WA for good, there was a pawn shop that had 2 Pietta 1858 Remingtons, one was the normal and the other was the silver steel model. They were consignment guns and the "seller" was asking $400 each. probably still there too. Another shop I went to years ago after a reenactment had a India made reproduction Brown Bess carbine that someone browned the barrel. since the barrel was altered that way, it wasn't ideal for reenacting, so I lost interest. However the owners of the shop asked me (since I was still in my outfit) about pricing it cause they had no idea and wanted to put a price of $10,000 on it. I politely held in a laugh and asked where they were getting that number and they showed me some Gunbroker ad for a "flintlock fusil" asking 10k for it. The gun in the ad was not the same firearm (like nowhere near the same) as the one they had. When I stated what it probably would sell for, the sadness in their eyes I will never forget.
Yeah, there is a lot of that going on about every shop you go into unless it's a regular hometown gunshop or chain store. They do a quick google search and think they hit the mother load or they know what they got and hope some dumb dumb with more money than they have sense will come along and snatch it up. Either way, I'm not interested in those types.

I often ask at gun shows where the gold is hidden in the overpriced gun or item. I do sometimes find some cool items related to blackpowder shooting on tables full of unmentionables that can be had at a great deal just because the seller thinks its unsellable and doesn't want to carry it home. A recent example was a real jezail rifle. He started at $40. I got it for $15 Looks great on the wall next to the martini henry rifle. Two tables down another had a nice Japanese tower flintlock pistol wanting $500 for it. He thought it was the real deal i gave him an honest opinion as to what it should go for and why. And he still wanted $500 for it. I said where is the gold nugget hidden and moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back