• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overpriced sellers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal experience with online auctions is sorta fraud where sellers have friends who bid up items. Fleabay catches some on occasion, but it still happens. Other stuff is sold and it's obvious either the seller actually doesn't know much (or anything) about it or claims it's "rare", "antique", etc.

Since Ebay started, I've had good luck and bad luck. Prefer to hold what I buy in my paws if it's serious cash. Gunbreaker the same way.

I can understand the greed to make top dollar on an item, that’s been around a lot longer than muzzleloaders. But now a days it’s the greed coupled with ignorance of what they’re selling that is ridiculous. If you really have a valuable firearm, of course don’t give it away. But trying to get big money for junk is seen most often now.

I haven't found a real bargain at a gun show in almost 30 years but I still like going to them.
I used to really enjoy going to gun shows. But I bet it’s been 20 years or more since I went to one. But I do try make a Civil War Relic show at least once a year.

Not just guns but even something simple like bbq grills. Guy selling an almost new grill for $350 that sat in a shed for five years but hey it’s normally $400 (today) so you’re getting a deal. Truth is he bought that grill five years ago for $275……greedy people taking advantage of the inflation…..

Antique shop owners seldom are knowledgeable when it comes to firearms. They might innocently purchase a repro believing it to be an original. I've been in the antique business. It is a tough go as tastes change with times and buying is a manure shoot. Don't blame them, you might not understand the value of a piece of antique glassware.

I have done phenomenally well to date as many consider ML's as toys or junk. This is changing fast as current anxiety levels affect the perceived value of anything that might be used as a weapon. I've noticed folks are really unsure of the actual value of their dollars. Some will dump thousands without a thought while others won't part with a dime. We are in scary times.

In my experience, everyone wants something for nothing.
"MOST" everyone.
If I see something "I" want, I don't hesitate at the listed price.
Depends on how bad I want it. I'll put in my bid and see what happens.
If I don 't get it, I didn't want/need it anyway.
And if I price something to sell, that's what I'll sell it for.
Don't like MY price? Don't buy. ;)

In my part of the world, we grew up learning the art of dickering on items priced at flea markets, or even person-to-person sales. There were generally no hard feelings if you and a buyer or seller couldn't come together on an agreeable price, so you moved on. But, that was when most of the sellers were just part-time and just wanted to earn a few extra bucks to supplement their income, or they did it because of boredom. It seems these days, flea market prices are the same as the local big box store, and many times they are more expensive. With the availability of the internet and companies like Amazon, we have access to the same flea market junk sellers have laid out on their tables without the problems of face-to-face confrontations, and many times we can order a better version of the products with the ability to return them without risk. Something flea market and auction sellers don't usually offer.

For years I lusted after a S&W mod 48, 4" barrel. Finally saw one at a gun show that a guy that specialized in S&W revolvers had. Wanted $800.00 for it. I passed. During the next year I seriously searched pricing for that revolver and found that he was on the lower middle of what was being asked for it at the time. A year later went to the same gunshow and was surprised he had the gun and the same price. He was haggling with a man for the gun and the man wanted to pay the owner a lot less than the asked for price. While they were taking a breathing break I asked the owner how much he was asking and he said the $800.00, and I passed him eight one hundred dollar bills with no questions. He gave me the gun and the haggler looked like he'd been hit in the gut with an axe. I guess it depends on how much one wants an item. I have spent more on used muzzle loaders that aren't nearly as pretty as that handgun.

Some have something they think it’s worth a lot and then there are those that try to scam people. I’m into antique bicycles and laugh when I see a plain Jane common low end bike at an antique store and has an unrealistic price tag. I just keep moving.

"MOST" everyone.
If I see something "I" want, I don't hesitate at the listed price.
Depends on how bad I want it. I'll put in my bid and see what happens.
If I don 't get it, I didn't want/need it anyway.
And if I price something to sell, that's what I'll sell it for.
Don't like MY price? Don't buy. ;)
The reality of being taxed on everything you buy and sell has become a real dis-incentive for me. I know this is on others minds as they come right out and say so. This January may be a real shock to many.

With the availability of the internet and companies like Amazon, we have access to the same flea market junk sellers have laid out on their tables.
Amazon and Costco have taught the masses that they can get whatever they want at a discount. People don't realize they have gamed the system and have incredible advantages small retailers can only imagine. Some of these advantages are even legal (how long has it been since antitrust laws were enforced?).

The antique dealer knows there is someone out there who can and will pay the money because they don't know any better. That's why whenever I see a Tesla on the road I think "there's a sucker born every day."

A few months ago I heard this firsthand at a gun show. A friend of the seller asked him why he had his guns 2 to 3 times the going price and he flat out said he has no intention of selling any guns but if somebody would be dumb enough to pay that price he would sell it. The only reason he was there was to Low ball kids walking around with Grampa‘s rifle. Then again with it so easy to find comparable prices I don’t have too much sympathy for people who overpay or under sell their firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back