• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overnight shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard of cutting down a pine, chopping out the branches on the ground side to make a shelter. What else would make a good overnight shelter using what is at hand?

I have heard of cutting down a pine, chopping out the branches on the ground side to make a shelter. What else would make a good overnight shelter using what is at hand?

Well, it sounds to me like that particular suggestion means a person would at least have a full size axe with them, and if it was me, I'd think it would needlessly burn up a lot of energy and not necessarily result in all that much usable shelter type boughs.

I would think breaking off / cutting off a pretty fair amount of smaller limbs from pines, cedars, fir trees in general, both for a ground mat and a cover (roof) shelter would be easier and faster.

I like reading so called survival articles anytime I run across them in magazines and one idea I'll never forget was a "debris shelter"...if you didn't have a lot of small pines/cedars around that you could get limbs from, this "debris shelter" is built just by creating a simple lean-to roof grid structure of dead limbs from the ground then heaping layers and layers of everything you can find on top to close it in as best you can...leaves, limbs, dirt clumbs, rocks, grass, weeds, snow, etc, etc...I guess a lot of what someone could use would depend on the area of the country, the time of year, and the elevation they found themselves lost in.

On this note, if I've learned anything from all the years of reading and thinking about this, going into any area where serious weather could be a factor if lost, a person MUST carry the basics in a backpack...mucho firestaring, plastic sheets, space blankets...all are very lightweight and could make all the difference in the world to stay warm & dry...hypothermia is the single biggest cause of death in these instances...almost never hear of somebody dying from thirst or starvation...hypothermia is the killer.

I sometimes chuckle at myself for all the gear I carry on a day trip deer hunting here in NC, particularly when I'm always within a mile of the truck...but...an hour after dark, alone in any woods with freezing temps, it's real comforting to know I got the basics with me.
(plus a cellphone ::)

[/quote]I sometimes chuckle at myself for all the gear I carry on a day trip deer hunting here in NC, particularly when I'm always within a mile of the truck...but...an hour after dark, alone in any woods with freezing temps, it's real comforting to know I got the basics with me.
(plus a cellphone ::) [/quote]

Amen, Brother Roundball! :agree:

Tent.jpg

Something neat I saw on the net.
SP

Diamond Fly - nice packable shelter. We use one for some events we dont take the store to. Ours is 12x12 and will house Spouse, Boy and Self with gear.

Diamond Fly - nice packable shelter. We use one for some events we dont take the store to. Ours is 12x12 and will house Spouse, Boy and Self with gear.

Is a "diamond fly" literally a "diamond shape", or just a "square" set up diagonally?
::

Anyone know of a good supplier for a smallish diamond fly? I've been looking for one but can't find any for sale.

When we ordered our diamond, I had panther not install the ties all around the edge or in the middle. I prefer to use marbles/musket balls tied in the canvas to form the loops. This allows us to move the ties anywhere we want and we can have a loop or a tie. This makes the already versitile system that much more.

:agree: :front: :sleep: :snore: :sleep: :snore: :sleep: :snore: :sleep: :snore: :sleep:

Thanks Eric, I don't know why I didn't think of Panther.

Do you trek in WV? I've been looking for a good place.....thinking Dolly Sodds or Otter Creek. Any experience?

Here is a very good "diamond shelter" info page
http://www.wizzywigweb.com/longshot/diamond.htm

I slept im my diamond for the first time last weekend. Mine was just a 12*15 painters canvas, which I cut three feet off of to make it 12*12, and whip stitched the raw end to keep it from unraveling. I used a bunch of .71 musket balls to tie ropes to it to stake it down. Used one long pole at the tall end, and a center pole. Ran a rope down the middle from the long pole, over the center pole, to the back point stake, to act as a spine. I put a folded up rag on top of the center pole to keep the canvas from getting damaged by the pole. It actually set up pretty nice, some of the older guys were impressed. I havent done anything to waterproof it yet, and luckily it didnt rain at all. Im kicking around coating it with mineral spirits/linseed oil, but understand that this basically equals napalm. Not sure what I'll do yet.

Jeff

Vaquero,

you can use the linseed oil/ mineral spirits mix or any other mix that has been discussed on other threads on the Forum. But for the money spent Thompsons makes a water proofing for material or there is one that I've seen around town called Canvax(?) that will do the same thing and you don't have the additional worries of the canvas being potentially more flamable. The Canvax and Thompsons is best applied with a sprayer in several light coats from the inside of the tent or fly.

Smokeydays

Ridge,

I have done a lot of trekking and modern hiking/camping in the Cranberry Wilderness here in WV. As a matter of fact, I just returned from there last week. I can't think of a better place to "step back in time". The Cranberry Wilderness is in the Monongahela National Forest, and it is adjacent to the Cranberry Backcountry. The wilderness is more protected than the backcountry. The wilderness is foot and horseback travel only, and anything mechanical is prohibited. Therefore, you don't have to worry about people on mountain bikes, etc.. Streams must be forded, because there are no bridges. You can camp anywhere you desire, and hunting and trapping is permitted. The wilderness is full of mountain streams, bears, bobcats, coyotes, and everything else that we love. It's a rugged place and very beautiful. I highy recommend it. Feel free to email me for more information.

Day Camp :snore:, circa 1969.Stayed busy at night, were set up in the morning and tore down in late afternoon. May not be period correct but sure is hard to beat a militiary poncho ::. Kinda like, Lionus and his blanket :haha: :peace: Use them to this day!!
img097.jpg

If you can find a blow down, you'll save yourself a lot of work.

Back