Overcapote

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Capotes made from fulled blankets are warm, but not entirely wind proof. What might be a PC/HC way of covering a capote to fully block the wind? An overcapote? I can see making a canvas coat like the capote itself to wear over it. Perhaps the overcapote could be ornamented in some way. Hemp canvas might be best.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
Capotes made from fulled blankets are warm, but not entirely wind proof. What might be a PC/HC way of covering a capote to fully block the wind? An overcapote? I can see making a canvas coat like the capote itself to wear over it. Perhaps the overcapote could be ornamented in some way. Hemp canvas might be best.
Line the coat with wool or linen.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd line the body with wool flannel, or a light weight broadcloth, and line the sleeves with linen or closely woven cotton.

The other option is to wear layers underneath the capote; a wool flannel shirt, a wool vest, a fully lined wool jacket, and last your capote.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
I'd line the body with wool flannel, or a light weight broadcloth, and line the sleeves with linen or closely woven cotton.
The other option is to wear layers underneath the capote; a wool flannel shirt, a wool vest, a fully lined wool jacket, and last your capote.
I once had a pullover shirt I made from a wool blanket - it was not very warm, even when worn over other clothing. Once I realized there was no such thing in my period of interest, I put it aside for a while. I then converted the same wool pullover shirt to a sleeved waistcoat and added a cotton lining. The difference in warmth was enormous - I could wear it as an outer garment and was not cold. A simple lining can make a difference...

I have 2 blanket-coats I made years ago and will re-tailor them to lined coats.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
9E0DDFE7-756D-4706-85CF-781E95AEC697.jpeg
Lining and under stuff make a big difference. History there is no reason you could put a match coat over your capote, or even a watch cloak.... but more layers underneath make a difference.
It was about 20 degrees when this photo was taken. I had on flannel shirt linen weskit wool working mans coat and my capote is lined with wool tartan and silk neck cloth, wool leggings.

Huntschool

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Southernmost Illinois (6.5 hours South of Chicago)
Fort Downing Trading Co. makes a "rain coat" which is actually a sleeveless great coat, wool lined with an oversized cape which covers the full upper part of your body. The shell is made of waxed cotton much like Barbour type waxed cotton. Not cheap (starting at $300.00) but really worth the bucks if you are out in a lot of weather. Waxed cotton is very wind proof when maintained.

I just tried one of these on yesterday while visiting brothers at the AMM property in Kentucky. Its a really neat piece. Wife says I should get one.... I am good with that.

Just an FYI

spudnut

50 Cal.
Reaction score
View attachment 2420 Lining and under stuff make a big difference. History there is no reason you could put a match coat over your capote, or even a watch cloak.... but more layers underneath make a difference.
It was about 20 degrees when this photo was taken. I had on flannel shirt linen weskit wool working mans coat and my capote is lined with wool tartan and silk neck cloth, wool leggings.
Where did you get the wheel cap?

Straekat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Dale Jarnagin in Corinth MS has a business making repro items. Among his offerings are Mexican-American War uniforms and a wheel cap in an officer's and enlisted version.

If you want to make a "clerk's cap" which is the civilian working man's cap of the era, you can find how, here:

http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XII3.htm

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Colonel Henry Bouquet wrote between the F&I and the AWI about how he thought in North America that soldiers should make a garment for protection against the rain. What they were according to his description was large men's shirts with the cuffs removed, and painted with boiled linseed oil. Now he recommended that the side seams from the hem up to the elbows be open so that the item could then be used when needed to cover and protect the soldier's pack. Probably unnecessary for you to do that, but the idea of making a sort of raincoat was very much in the minds of the 18th century.

LD

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
What might be a PC/HC way of covering a capote to fully block the wind? .
A buffalo robe or something similar.

To break the wind effectively Your outer garment should be a pull over design. Inuits made Anoraks out of seal skin and covered them with fish oil to water proof them.

I have comfortably worn a Capote in subzero weather but I had additional layers of wool underneath and I stayed out of the wind.
Liners are more for comfort where as sewing leather to the outside of the capote, breaks the wind and adds durability.

When layering clothing for cold weather you want the thinnest and finest materials closest to the skin, progressing to thicker and coarser layers as you move away, ending in a wind and water proof shell layer. loose fitting is better than tight fitting and cotton is the "death" cloth.

Freezing to death is very historically accurate.
A warm stone wrapped in cloth and placed in a pocket will keep you warm and serve as a hand warmer. Same goes for hot water bottles, hot water has the advantage of being drinkable when it cools. Dehydration is a bigger concern in the winter than in summer. Dehydration accelerates body cooling. placing hot water bottle or warm stone near kidneys or major arteries will greatly increase your warmth.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One more thing...,
IF you chose to make an oilcloth shirt to go over the capote..., stay away from sparks from the fire. ;) OF course near a fire you won't be so worried about warmth.

LD

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
One more thing...,
IF you chose to make an oilcloth shirt to go over the capote..., stay away from sparks from the fire. ;) OF course near a fire you won't be so worried about warmth.

LD
For your amusement.

I would also add that removing any waterproof garment is advisable when next to a heat source, as it will trap evaporating moisture and prevent cloth from drying out.