• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

over powder wads, how moist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
20200223_210808.jpg
20200223_210914.jpg
I went to the local sporting goods store looking to buy some over powder wads for my "new" '58 Remington revolver (and my '60 Colt Army). They were out of stock but had this Tradition's revolver shooter's kit with a couple of parts missing. It still had the wads and a powder measure that measured small enough amounts for my pistols. The capper and nipple wrench were missing which I didn't need anyway. I bought it for a fraction of the original price.
My question is... though the wads have been in a separate, zip lock bag, when I squeeze them between my fingers I get very little out. I guess too much would contaminate the powder? Too little (dry) wouldn't prevent chain fires as well? I'm wondering if I should apply a little more of the Wonderlube? Hard to say, I know.
I want to use wads over the powder in my pistols now but in the past have always put lube over the ball. Too messy.

Last edited:
In my opinion, if you get any lube out of the wads you have enough, if not too much. Have contaminated powder charges with wads that were too moist if allowed to sit on the powder for any length of time. I put a card over the powder if I use lubed wads, especially if I am preloading cylinders. Moisture is not friend of black powder when it comes to ignition.

Thanks, I'm in unfamiliar territory here, having always loaded with loose powder, round balls, and lube over the top in the past. I'm also thinking of trying paper cartridges for the first time. I have bought a 1/2" wooden dowel rod, to make a form, and some cigarette rolling papers. I have watched several how-to videos and like the simplicity of using cigarette papers and round balls with 25 gr of powder and twisting up the ends before snipping off the excess.

My pistol shooting experience is not as great as some here. But, when I went from 'grease over' to lubed wads under I never looked back. A waxed wad is great and easy to work with, especially in the field. I suggest you get, or make, a punch, make yer own from felt or cardboard, lube with wax of any kind and shoot. Forget store bought stuff.

If you are loading and shooting the same day, and they are lubed you should have no problem. As noted above not much lube is needed. If you were going to load and not shoot for several days or longer, they I would put a cardboard wad over the powder and before loading the wad and ball.

I punch over powder wads from dense felt and soak them in melted Gato Feo formula #1. Once saturated, I turn them out on wax paper to dry. The result is very stiff, waxy but not moist, and they stay that way even in hot weather. I use the same wads in 45 Colt and 45/70 BP cartridges. This approach has worked well for a long time and beats the mess from putting grease of some kind over the balls.

Jeff

I squeeze them between my fingers I get very little out.

Just to be on the safe side I would put the wads between a paper towel and press any excess lube out. I have had lube soften the load when loaded any extended time. If the weapon is intended to be fired shortly after loading it probably doesn't make a difference.
I punch my wads out of felt and lube in hot olive oil, squeeze them between paper towels to remove excess oil. Just a smidgen of lube on the wad is acceptable, doesn't require much.
I very much agree with above post on making and lubing wads. I am going to try BullRunBear formula if I can find what Gato Feo formula #1 is,

Back