• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over powder wad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas for all the replies. I think I'm going to order some .32 veggie wads and give it a try. My main goal is to improve the accuracy which I'm not getting with round ball. Since it's a squirrel gun, accuracy's gotta be dead on at about 40-50 yds which is about the height of some of our tall water oaks. Right now it just aint gittin the job done. Close, but no cigar. Secondary is adding a bit of punch for varminting.

Good luck with the 32 caliber veggie wads, it will be interesting to hear your results. As a couple of us have mentioned the real accuracy improvement comes, and least in my experience, when you go to a slightly larger than bore diameter wad. You've got to seal up those rifle grooves.

Something you may want to consider if there is a Harbor Freight near you, and you have a hammer and a block of wood, would be to purchase a set of punches from them that would allow you to make wads out of near anything you have lying around in a couple of different diameters (the 5/16” and 3/8” should cover your 32). Only $9, and you can find their 20% off coupons just about anywhere. Hollow Punch Set, 9 Pc.. They also sell a set that works in a drill press.

I had a .32 Crockett some time ago and sold it because I didn't think it shot well, I just ordered another one because I feel I gave up without working through the problem.
Anyway, a fiber wad may cushion the projectile, not permitting obturation or a least not enough for the groove depth on the Crockett (10/11 thou), resulting in the bullet skidding down the bore, I too have a few molds on order to attempt to work through the bullet problem with this caliber and 1 in 48 twist and as many have said in the past the .32 should be around 1 in 30 twist. The .32 maxi is reported to be too long for 1 in 48 twist and accuracy falls short, some people have cast the maxi and then cut the back section off with good but inconsistent results, what I'm going to try is a hollow base bullet, hollow base with paper patch, Lee bullet with paper patch and a semi-wad, most are short bullets at .400 through .490 in length (Lee is longer), weights are from 70g to 115g.

I got my pistol stuff figured now onto the rifle that gave me heartburn.

My go-to load for my .50 caliber Early Virginia(s) (I have two) has always been 70 hrs FFG Goex with a .490 round ball and .18 lubed patch. I started to experiment with heavier loads, and found at 85 grains I was blowing patches. I tried a lubed felt wad over the powder and under the patched round ball and found a) no patch damage, b) higher velocity, and c) more consistent velocities (lower standard deviation). For heavier loads, this is now my norm.

ADK Bigfoot

This is one that I find interesting for the Crockett, with paper patch and pure lead (80g).
1592428125055.png

Anyway, a fiber wad may cushion the projectile, not permitting obturation or a least not enough for the groove depth on the Crockett (10/11 thou), resulting in the bullet skidding down the bore
I have found the bullet skidding not to be the case, or at least no indicators its happening. Believe the slightly oversize felt wad I use in my 32s seals up the bore and eliminates any cutting or damage to the patch. Has worked under roundballs with loads of FFF Swiss from 10 to 30 grain. My 'go to' squirrel and all around load out to 30 yards or so is 12 grains of FFF, and doubt there is much obturation going on, but just guessing. Had a Crockett for a short period and it shot very well. Currently shooting a Pedersoli and I honestly don't remember the groove depth, I just know it will shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards if I do everything right. The oversized felt wad concept also works great in my 1-28 twist 45 shooting 400 grain paper patched bullets.

My 'go to' squirrel and all around load out to 30 yards or so is 12 grains of FFF, and doubt there is much obturation going on, but just guessing.

Even at 12 grains of 3F you will get obturation, seen the effects on RB and bullets in .36 revolvers with 12 to 15 grains of 3F and loaded with 10 to 15 grains of 4F even with a cylinder gap to vent gas, this is with pure lead projectile @ 5 brinell . Also seen the effects shooting a .32 lead bullet that slid down the bore with light contact on the lands, when recovered it had solid rifling formed, now the powder drop was 10 grains of 4F with 10 grains of 3F on top (then the bullet).
As I start testing loads etc again I'll post results if anyone is interested, 4F with 3F on top, some loads done 3F with 4F on top, change the pressure curve, acceleration rate and so on. I've used the dual powder drop in a few guns to get some good results even on a .54 Pedersoli Roacky Mountain Hawkens.

Back