• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Over powder wad lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just ordered some .54 cal 1/8" thick dry wads to use in my .50 cal Bobcat. I bought dry so I could either use dry OR one of my own homemade lubes. My lubes are a moose milk mixture of 50% Ballistol 45% water and 5% alcohol. My other lube is a mixture 50% beeswax and 50% olive oil. Which lube would you suggest to lube the wads with. I can use either and once soaked let dry.

Why are you wanting to use wads between powder and patched ball? I’ve never seen any benefits to using them unless your patches are shredding. That issue is normally a rough bore or crappy patch material.

Why are you wanting to use wads between powder and patched ball? I’ve never seen any benefits to using them unless your patches are shredding. That issue is normally a rough bore or crappy patch material.
Because I've read several other posts saying that accuracy is improved when using an over powder wad

I have used these,

.460" diameter
, ideal for .45 caliber rifles, .500" thick fibre wad, 500, by Circle Fly Wads

with moose milk in a 45 cal rifle. They made it possible to shoot indefinitely without swabbing. I found no accuracy improvement.

I use op wads a fair amount and they often do help one thing or another. There's no need to lube an op wad because the prb is already lubed. I recommend against lubing any op wads.

I have used leather over powder wads for over twenty years and find they prevent patch burning and the need to swab between shots. I soak mine over night in a mixture of olive oil and alcohol and then spread them out yo "dry" on newspaper over night.

The over powder wad SOMETIMES may improve accuracy, but usually it is used to prevent patch burn out or shredding due to a rough bore or breech area. In one of my heirloom .35 caliber rifles, the breech is badly corroded due to a charge being left in it for over 100 years. Initial shoot of this rifle gave me groups of about 4" at 25 yards and patches were shredded. Use of an un-lubed over powder wad got the patched ball above the corroded area and accuracy returned to more acceptable levels of 1.25" @ 25 yards.

I just ordered some .54 cal 1/8" thick dry wads to use in my .50 cal Bobcat. I bought dry so I could either use dry OR one of my own homemade lubes. My lubes are a moose milk mixture of 50% Ballistol 45% water and 5% alcohol. My other lube is a mixture 50% beeswax and 50% olive oil. Which lube would you suggest to lube the wads with. I can use either and once soaked let dry.
Hi, where did you order them from?

Back