Over-powder or Nitro card?

Discussion in 'Smoothbore' started by Eterry, May 6, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 8, 2019 #21

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

That makes a lot more sense... thanks Britt.

2. May 8, 2019 #22

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

The first problem i ran into with this dbl bbl was the ramrod had a small tip. The OP, Nitro, OS cards ALL turned sideways in the barrel with the .30 diameter rod tip. I have an old ramrod from another shotgun with a 30-30 Winchester case head as the tip... being .505 diameter.
    It works much better at starting the cards in the bbl.

BTW, I'm loading a 20 bore dbl, not a 12.

I can see, if you had the wrong rod tip, or was occupied as in competition, you could let a OS card get sideways in the barrel.

I know you said the shooter was an old hand at the game, but that's why they call it an ACCIDENT... things happen.

I am new to muzzle loading shotguns, but shot competition pistol and rifle for over 30 years.

I know what competition does to the mind.

Britsmoothy likes this.
  3. May 8, 2019 #23

Darkgael

Darkgael

Darkgael

45 Cal.

The grandpa of the MLing shotgun, V.M. Starr:
    I have taken to carrying only one type of wad with me when hunting with my 16 gauge fowler....a pocket full of standard OS cards. I put four over the powder and one over the shot. Works just fine.
    Pete

Brokennock and Britsmoothy like this.
  4. May 8, 2019 #24

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

70 Cal. MLF Supporter

The correct rammer tip is vital for loading a shotgun yes.

Brokennock likes this.
  5. May 8, 2019 #25

Feltwad

Feltwad

Feltwad

45 Cal.

It is best to buy yourself a set of wad cutters in different bore sizes ,enclosed is a image of different sizes from the mighty 4 to small 32 .
    Feltwad

Wad Cutters
    [​IMG]

nhmoose and Britsmoothy like this.
  6. May 8, 2019 #26

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

Im happy for you to have such a nice set of punches, but that has NOT RELEVANT to my original post.

AND BTW, the replacement value of the 11 punches you have is well in excess of $300 here in the U.S.

For that much money I could buy about FORTY THOUSAND (40,000)
    cards and wads thru a vendor.
    Thru extrapolation that would require 2,500 lbs of birdshot and approximately 457 pounds of black powder.

I think I'll just buy a few bags of cards/wads from Mike's Quality Black Powder Wads.

Thanks for your insight.

Brokennock likes this.
  7. May 8, 2019 #27

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

I may take to carrying one type of wad, i want to work on the pattern board and see what She likes.

That was the reason for the OP, to see what cards others use.

To everyone who suggests cutting/punching them from cardboard...I say if i can BUY them for a penny per, I'd rather spend the time working on a new build, or fishing.

As I stated above... the cost of new punches makes buying ready made cards a no brainer.

I am intrigued by the Skychief Special, and will give it a go.
    If it works as advertised I'll give up the idea of a jug choke.

8. May 8, 2019 #28

Feltwad

Feltwad

Feltwad

45 Cal.

All you need is a punch of the bore size which can be bought for little money at any car boot sales has we call them here in the UK , If they are set up to work in a pillar drill you can turn out 40 to 50 a minute and in 15 minutes you will have enough wads to last you one year with this method you cannot buy them for less.
    Feltwad

9. May 8, 2019 #29

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

I've seldom seen a punch at the flea markets, trade day's, garage sales that I've attended.
    But I'll keep watching for some.

10. May 8, 2019 #30

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I usually only carry the thin cards sold as "overshot cards," (about the thickness of a cereal box) and my lubed felt wads. Looking for a way to cleanly carry some heavily lubed fiber cushion wads, for over the shot, after a thin card, for the Skychief load. I usually put 2 or three between powder and lubed felt wad.

11. May 8, 2019 #31

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

A proper size for gauge flat faced jag helps, buy 2 or 3. One for the ramrod, one for cleaning (I cut little notches in the corners of the edge face for the cleaning patch to catch in so I can turn it to clean the breach face), and one to make one of these,
    20171106_152907.jpg
    The little tool in the right corner of the box is for setting those cards square just inside the muzzle. After I pour my powder, I build my whole load piece by piece at the muzzle, then push the whole thing down together. I have less issues (read, No Issues) with air pressure holding load components off the powder this way.

Draft saved Draft deleted