• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over loading a 1858.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First off I would like to start by saying "do not do what I am about to discus" (I will explain latter). Someone mentioned in this Forum that you could load compress the powder and load some more. Like a fool I had to try this. I measured out a 45ACP full of Pirodex+P, 26 grains according to this Forum, then did it again. I probably dropped a few grains. All total I estimated 50 grains in the cylinder. I only loaded 1 cylinder with a .451 ball, and there was still room! Fired the load....Not like the 35grns I normally fire. Heres why you should not do this.

First while I still am alive there are no good reasons for most of us to perform this stunt. Unless you have a bear to shoot or need extra power for a good reason there is no reason to do this. I can not imagine that this is an accurate load, and I am sure that it will shorten the life of even the Remmi. :shake: I had to try it.

Match, not to appear disrespectful, but WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING? :shake:
35 grains Pyro P is considered pretty much a MAX LOAD behind a .451 or .454 RB. At best, your accuracy would go to hell. You probably didn't even hit what you were aiming at. At worst, the gun might have fragged in you hand, ending your BP adventures. Somewhere in the middle, you might have (and may have) done some permanent damage to your gun...damage that may not show up until some later date.
I've read enough of your posts to know that YOU KNOW BETTER.
End rant. :nono:

Since becoming a Warthog (max loads) in CAS shooting. I've just filled the chamber on my Colts. Leaving just enough room for the ball.

I use real BP though. Pyro has too much power. It does no harm.

I never measured it, but I never thought it was 50 gr.

I do know better......now. :shocked2: I started this post as a word of warning. Do not do what I did, unless a grizzly is working his way up your tree. Other than that there is nothing wrong with 35grns. That was the first, and last time( unless the bear). The problem is someone told me I could do it, so I did. Now you do not have to. :nono:

Matchlock72 said:
I do know better......now. :shocked2: I started this post as a word of warning. Do not do what I did, unless a grizzly is working his way up your tree. Other than that there is nothing wrong with 35grns. That was the first, and last time( unless the bear). The problem is someone told me I could do it, so I did. Now you do not have to. :nono:

Heavily compressed Pyrodex can cause SERIOUS increases in pressure. Its really pretty weird stuff and will act as a low order explosive at 20% water, a slurry. Its not BP after all and does not react as such. So long as its not compressed very much I would not worry about pressure since its VOLUME to VOLUME for black a percussion revolver loaded with minimal compression should be OK.
I have tried a full load of FFF in a 1860 Army, leaving just room for the ball with slight compression and loads that heavily compressed the powder. Heavy compression shot poorly. The lightly compressed loads always shot very well an would do 6" at 80 yards or so (the range at the shop I was working in).

Dan

Matchlock72 said:
All total I estimated 50 grains in the cylinder. I only loaded 1 cylinder with a .451 ball, and there was still room! Fired the load....Not like the 35grns I normally fire. Heres why you should not do this.

Did the hammer blow back when fired and by how much?
Did it blow back enough to reset on 1/2 cock or full cock or neither?
Which brand of 1858?

Norinco said:
What's wrong with firing a Remington with 35 grains of Pyrodex P?

""26 grains according to this Forum, then did it again. I probably dropped a few grains. All total I estimated 50 grains in the cylinder".

Using a slide rule, adding 26 grains and then again 26 grains does not equal 35 grains, at least not where I went to school.

???????????, no wonder people blow guns up, they can not add, nor follow the written instructions from the manufacturer.

Geez.

No there was no adverse affects what so ever, but I still do not recommend doing it again. There is just no reason to do it. It is a 5.5 inch barrel Pietta 1858 replica.

I am sorry if I was not clear I loaded an estimated 50 not 35. I said that 35 is my typical load.

"...Someone mentioned in this Forum that you could load compress the powder and load some more. Like a fool I had to try this...."
-----------

I know that some members consider me an old fuddy duddy when I edit a post or go into lengthy discussions about why something that is said by a member in a post which I consider dangerous, should not be done but this is a fine example of why I do it.

There are always a few folks who will want to try something they have read.
Often they don't stop and think, "Could that be dangerous?".

I'm just damn glad that someone didn't say something like, "The slow smokeless powder that is made for magnum rifles burns so slowly that it can be used in a muzzleloader." and then have one of our members actually try it.
Loading ANY smokeless powder, be it a fast or slow pistol or rifle powder, can easily kill the shooter and folks standing around him/her.

Anyway, glad to hear your all right and that your gun wasn't damaged.

Hopefully the next time you read some bad recommendations you will not feel it necessary to try them out.

Thanks Zonie as always, words of wisdom. I am GLAD I was not the one to read that its ok to use some kind of smokeless, I might have been dumb enoph to try it. :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The moral of the story: DO NOT LOAD ANYTHING IN YOUR GUN THAT IT WAS NOT MADE FOR..... :hmm: :rotf:

Match, contrary to most of the comments you have received, I will say thank you for posting. I have never tried it or desired to. I don't like Pyro to begin with, invariably, someone would have to try it and now, hopefully, that someone with read your post and not.

Match
Its a wonder they are not calling you lefty now. Its not that you loaded 50grns of pyrodex. You loaded 50grns of compressed pyrodex, good thing it was not triple-7, you would more than likely be short some body parts right now.
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :doh: :doh: :doh: There was no alcohol involved with this experiment was they :grin: :grin:

I think this falls under the catagory of famous redneck last words....

"Hey y'all, watch this!" :2

man I bet that thing kicked like a mule with a bad temper!!!!! :shocked2: a friend of mine has a 1851 navy that was given to him. well the cycnder is blown to well you know what. the owner put in 6-7 grains of IMR PB. a smokeless powder. and booom broke his hand tip off one finger. so my friend keeps it around to show what NOT to do. as for the powder Im loading 4.1 grains in my .38 spl. and for it it's a max load. so 6 plus had to be realy hot.

By admitting that you even tried this, your stock went down. Please let this be the last time you try something this dumb.

If you have a question--just post it, and we'll try to answer it (collectively) before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Now please behave yourself :v

Ok ill try, but I am known for this kind of thing. when I was 14 I built my first cannon out of PVC. It worked well enough to send a 2lb projectile threw the woods and across the valley. The powder was made from grinding up Estes model rocket motors. WEll I lived to be dumb another day. :grin:

Back