• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Outer Banks Indian Object. What is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was walking along the shoreline in Corolla, NC (Outer Banks). I found a small rock (approx 2 inch square)which I'm nearly 100% positive is an Indian artifact. In the center of the rock is a carved slot about 1/4". On each side, in perfect allignment with the slot, is a small dimple (very obviously caused by a human). Any guesses as to what it could be? After much pondering and research, I came up with nothing exactly identical. However, at long last I arrived at this guess: It was used as a sinker of sorts for fishing(?)Again, just a guess. Other than the carvings, the rock is unexceptional in appearance, so I doubt it was used as a decoration of some sort. Anybody care to offer an opinion?

Just a guess for all it's worth, I think it may be the hand part of a fire bow/drill...

firebow5.gif

I think MM is right on track with his guess. The museum of the albemarle has a few of these among their collection of indian artifacts. They have a pretty good collection of bowls, grinding stones and stone tools as well as a dugout cypress canoe tha is in pretty good shape. Tony :front:

A dimple in the center would suggest a fire starter to me. A slot sounds more like a shaping tool. Does the slot run the length of the rock?

Interesting guess, as well. Gary, the slot does not run the entire lenght of the rock. it is nearly dead center, approx. 1/4" long and 1/16 high. The slot goes clear through the rock. The "dimples" are equidistant from the slot, one on each side. They are each about 1/8" from the edge of the rock. Woodsman, I'm going to try to see if I can find a website for the museum of the albemarle.

Marc Adamchek:

What type of rock is it? (limestone, granite, ect)

Now if it had a round hole in it, that would be easy, that is an arrow shaft straightner...

Now, let's spectulate a bit...

It's not an Indian artifact, what if it's a colonial artifact?

The head of a small stone hammer, the slots were for a handle of some sorts to be attached... :hmm:

I can't imagine how hard it would be (or how I could do it even) to cut a 1/16" x 1/4" slit in a rock! Narrow chisel?

Way too much effort for a net or fishing weight.

We get rocks hereabouts with holes in them where Chrinoid fossil casts have popped out or disentigrated, leaving holes of various shapes, some look like they were purposely drilled.

I can't imagine how hard it would be (or how I could do it even) to cut a 1/16" x 1/4" slit in a rock! Narrow chisel?

The rock could have been found with a small round hole in it (perhaps from the errosion effect of a study drip over time) and worked to the 1/16" x 1/4" shape with tools...

It ain't old atal. That slot was cut with a masonary drill in me DeWalt 18Volt. Only took a couple of minutes. The dimpoles is just where I started ta drill but changed me mind. :blah: :crackup: :youcrazy: :blah:

OK, Guys - I have the rock in front of me now. It's smaller than I had remembered. Also, not square, mnore like a triangle, but with curves. In fact, one side (the smallest 1 3/8") could be considered one gentle curve iin its entirety. The other 2 sides (approx 1/1/4" eachmeet in a smaller curve where they meet. One dimenison I neglected to mention before is its width - very slim, 3/8" at it's thickest, 2/8" its thinnest. The 1/4" slot is not centered, as I thought I remembered it. The "dimples are not equidistant, as I mentioned, but rather near the edges of the stone, one closer to the slot than the other. When viewed like this, the slot is vertical. One note: The dimples are rather tiniy, and when I first found the stone I thoughtthey looked kind of hand made, but wasmn't sure. However, everyone I've showed the stone to has remearked on them without me pointing them out at all, so they at least seem to be perceived as such. The stone is otherwise very unremarkable, a muddy grayish thing, made smooth by time and the ocean, I'd imagine. I wish I had the know-how to scan a photo, but don't. Neither do I have the equipment. I cold certainly draw it if I knew how to do that and send it electronically. Any tips?

Can't you just scan it in the scanner, send it that way? I have never done it myself, but I can barely turn on the laptop so it shouldn't stop you! I think scanning the object would work. We're all dyin' here trying to figure out what this thing could be!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Was just thinking... If you found it on the surf line, it could have been degraded by erosion since it was manufactured. So... what you see now may not be entirely what the original product looked like. Very interesting!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

if your running windows 95 or better go to start ,
then click all programs
then click on accessories
Then go down to paint and click that
You can then draw the object
Once done click file
Then save as
A box will come up asking you where to save it . Place it on you desktop or anywhere you can find it .
If you email it to me or im sure one of the other folks here would be glad to post it for you .
Or you can go to photo bucket and sign up , its free and you can upload your photos there and post them anywhere on the net .

Your object could be many things, a fire stick pedestal, dart shaping tool , many of the coastal peoples used blow guns of different sizes. it could be something that nature has made , the little people found and left just for you to find , they do that a lot you know . :hmm: :crackup:

OK - My wife's going to borrow a digital camera from her nephew later today. I'll take somne pictures and she'll scan them in and send them out asap. The absolute latest would be Monday. But, Hopefully we'll get this done this weekend.

Back