• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Out of commission for a few days

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i picked up a 6' long 1x2 of finished hickory at Menards this morning. I've been sorting through the stock they have for a couple of months off and on and they finally got one without knots or run out. I snatched it up for less than $7. I should be good for 3 or 4 ramrods if I do my part. I'm guessing one or two longer rods and several 36" or shorter.

Colorado Clyde said:
Factory ramrods are junk....Get yourself a hickory replacement and a metal range rod for range work and cleaning.

That's a good idea...

Just before posting this I made an order for phenolic resin rod with a "wood grain like finish" from Track. John said it "isn't ugly" and is virtually unbreakable. Guess we'll see...

I've been using a steel range rod for 40 Years....

Every synthetic rod I have purchased has failed me....Sure, I've broken a few wooden rods but they are easy to make.... My preference is for a wooden ramrod, just not a factory one.

Steel is the best material for a range rod and wood is the best material for a ramrod. :2

Do a search there are many topics about ramrods....

Best of luck...

Colorado Clyde said:
I've been using a steel range rod for 40 Years....

Every synthetic rod I have purchased has failed me....Sure, I've broken a few wooden rods but they are easy to make.... My preference is for a wooden ramrod, just not a factory one.

Steel is the best material for a range rod and wood is the best material for a ramrod. :2

Do a search there are many topics about ramrods....

Best of luck...

Thanks CC. I guess I didn't think of it as a topic of much research and ordered one from Track, which was convenient because I just ordered more mink oil yesterday and that hadn't shipped yet. So they just added to my order and it should all ship out today. Will see how this one works and go from there...

Next time you order from Track get yourself one of their steel range rods that comes with the wood handle and brass bore guide...you won't be sorry. It allows range shooting and even ball-pulling if necessary while saving your wood ramrod for the field.

Colorado Clyde said:
Claude said:
Based on where it broke, is it possible that you were holding it much too high above the barrel?

Looks like a high grab to me....unless he tripped over it or caught it in the car door....

Yes, high grab and an unexpected amount of resistance due to forgetting to swab between shots. :doh:

Arcturus said:
Next time you order from Track get yourself one of their steel range rods that comes with the wood handle and brass bore guide...you won't be sorry. It allows range shooting and even ball-pulling if necessary while saving your wood ramrod for the field.

Will do. And you mean my "wood like finish" rod I already ordered, right? :wink:

Arcturus said:

^^^ Ditto this!

There are steel cored wooden RR's out there too. English guns are often found with (presumably Macassar) ebony RR's. No clue on how durable that stuff is compared to hickory, but my hunch is that it's tougher, and would certainly be heavier. Dang expensive to find in long enough pieces too. Last I saw the stuff, it was running about $100 per bf in long lengths. The most common commercial use for it these days is for musical instrument fret boards.

dsayer said:
Arcturus said:

Will do. And you mean my "wood like finish" rod I already ordered, right? :wink:

No!....He means this.... https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/569/1/RAMROD-C-29-10

Or something similar....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, get a steel or heavy brass range rod and a good hickory replacement. This was my T/C Renegade rod that broke and ran into the base of my thumb a while back. Bled like hell. Took almost 3 months to get all the feeling back in my thumb. Mine broke only 3 inches from the end of the ramrod. :doh:

w7g1mc.jpg

The ramrod TC supplied with their rifles were all pieces of junk.

I have never seen one yet that didn't have bad grain runout, many of them being like the one in your picture with the grain breaking out of both sides in just a few inches.

I don't know why TC did that. They must have known those ramrods were a hazard.

You folks who own a older, used TC sidelock would be well advised to check your guns ramrod.
Some of them have been replaced but I suspect most of them still have their old original one. :(

Here's a sketch of what grain runout looks like.
If your ramrod looks like this, do not use it.

9619407050_e19534d41e_o.jpg

Colorado Clyde said:
dsayer said:
Arcturus said:

No!....He means this.... https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/569/1/RAMROD-C-29-10

Or something similar....

I realize... It's just that I already ordered a replacement before posting about this. I figure I'll at least see how the one I have on the way looks and feels before ordering 2 more ram rods (a hickory replacement and a range/cleaning rod). John at Track highly recommended the one I ordered, which I suppose ought to count for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. It worked fine on conicals, but first time out to range after starting with PRBs and bang, snapped like a dry twig. Hurt like you know what too. Plus, it was about 30 years old to boot.

I was lucky in that I felt mine really flex when I tried to start the ball (as I said earlier, held too high and didn't swab between shots) but it didn't snap. In fact, it didn't actually fall into two pieces until I pulled it from the muzzle and was going to put it away.

I will tell you from my goings on . When ramming the ball or slug home, keep your power strokes very short , lest you want to heal your palm or wrist from puncture . The other way around this , is to use a brass rod instead of your beloved wood ramrod. When that fellow decides to let go, he'll not warn you.So it is with wood.

Back