• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

our 54 cal. Woodsrunner arrived today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much. I appreciate that. I'm pretty proud, too! This kid had a pilot's license before he had a learner's permit for a car. Asked some girl out on a date and flew her to Catalina for lunch. She was impressed. Between that, and being able to get a 4" group with a Pietta 1851 .44 Sheriff at 25 yards, he's a pretty remarkable kid. Wants to fly F-22's!
Outstanding! I'm a pilot too. Have an LSA out in my garage/hangar (Evektor Sportstar). Don't fly it much. Building rifles is a LOT cheaper with none of the regulatory hassles. First airplane was an RV8 that I built. After many years of R/C, IMAC, pylon racing, etc, the wife said, "why don't you build one that we can actually FLY in?" Three years and 10,000 rivets later, we did. I fully expect your son will be a Thunderbird someday. He's got aviation in his blood.

If you warm the bent area up with a heat gun (a hair drier on high will work) and then install your barrel the kink will come out and stay out after it cools off. Keep your heat source moving and don't scorch the wood, heat it until you can only touch it for about a second, it will bend back easily.

I did this on a pre-carve from the P place that they sent back without the barrel which got lost in the shuffle. Mine was bent down from the entry pipe at about a 30-degree angle. In my case I heated the barrel as well then pulled the hot forearm gently into place and zip tied it tightly to the barrel until it cooled off. It was arrow straight when it cooled off.

28 years of bending bow wood taught me a few things.
I was thinking the exact same thing! Been building bows for a while (stick and laminate) and a heat-gun and tension will shape any wood if you're patient. Seems that in this case, the barrel will do the trick, though.

I finished assembling the Woodsrunner. The only thing that slowed me down was the rear lock screw and the patch box cover. Mine had a little bit more of a gap at the rear of the tang than I liked and moved the breach back maybe a 1/64th of an inch when I first installed the barrel. The patch box cover was too tight at the rear and needed a very little relieving, it is still a little snug. Overall I was very impressed as to how well everything fit together. I got a start on finishing the brass today.
IMG_20230401_092242413.jpg
IMG_20230401_094138323.jpg
IMG_20230401_210341555.jpg

if he wants to be an aviator there’s only one option. Blue and Gold.

And regarding g demo teams, see below.

Attachments

• 5F08D6C4-BD12-4348-B1AC-548B196B9100.jpeg
    5F08D6C4-BD12-4348-B1AC-548B196B9100.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I have now sanded the stock to 320 after sanding wood flush to brass, cleaned brass and just finished the lock. Now I have to decide what I want to do with the stock as far as details. I had thought about trying some engraving on the lock but I think I'll save that for the next one.
IMG_20230407_205511504.jpg
IMG_20230407_205459277.jpg
IMG_20230407_205610545.jpg

Do nothing. Slip the barrel in the stock and move on. This is a non-issue. Even if some think it is, please just trust me.
what he said ... don't pin or clamp it ... if you're really worried, wrap a few turns of paracord around it or some heavy duty rubber bands ... i think you'll be fine

I decided to warm up by starting with the patch box. I wanted a little something without getting too busy. After going through a whole lot of saved photos I decided on this.

Attachments

• IMG_20230409_165534414 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230409_165534414 (1).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
My son ordered around the end of August and found me the T/C Hawken kit to practice on at the same time. Timing couldn't have been much better, Finished the Hawken about a week ago then had a couple of out of town jobs and before I headed home today my son sent me a picture of a box that was on the porch when he got home from work around noon. I finally got home about 9:00 and hurried in with screw gun in hand to find my son with all but 2 screws out. This is the extra fancy maple. My only concern is the bend in the stock. View attachment 207306View attachment 207307View attachment 207308View attachment 207309View attachment 207310
that is too extreme of a warp in the wood

it is a lemon

sorry, I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but there isn't wood enough there to fix it
There is no such thing coming from Kibler (Debbie) , bet you haven' t had the pleasure of getting one !! OP ordered extra fancy as I have in walnut . It is what happens with pretty wood /especially with my (SMR) again in walnut and expect the same with my fancy walnut Woods Runner when it gets here . It is a non issue and I'm surprised at your comment especially concerning Jim Kibler who with out question is the master wood expert !!!

Ok, now I'm jealous!!! I took a NMLRA class on carving at a local community college a few years ago and I've decided that I will not be carving my WoodsRunner!! :)

And here you go, showing how it should be done!!! Looking good!!

Latest posts

Back