• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OUCH!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reactor

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well, it took me eleven months to get a 10 gauge barrel. When I received it, the barrel, had two wedding bands and a tool score mark on the barrel that was pretty deep. I sent the barrel out to get it jugg choked and asked the machinist/gun builder to clean up the wedding bands and try to eliminate the score mark since my lathe doesn't have a live center and i didn't want to score the barrel. I was thinking that he would use some sand paper and blend out the tool mark.
This is what I go back.
Not historically correct and just a bunch of tool score marks. The tool even chattered on the barrel. I dropped this into the stock and had lots of space between the barrel and stock. I don't believe I can come up with a way to fix this. I hope Rice has one in stock.
thumbnail.jpg

I was going to ask a machine shop for a cost to metal spray the barrel up to the original diameter and cut two wedding bands into it. I'm weary of welding it up and machining it back, too hot. I'm not sure metal spraying is the answer either. It may be too hot as well.
Your idea has me thinking. Pour pewter around it and machine it back. Still not HC though.
Maybe I'll just blend the barrel smooth and see what I can do with the first two rings.
You have good eyes though the micrometer says you're correct the left is cut the deepest. It does leave quite the gap in the stock though. I'm up a creek w/o a paddle.

I thought I could live with it and just sand out the tool mark. I waited a long time for the barrel and was happy to have it. Not a big job if it's chucked up in a lathe.

I like the pewter idea. I don't think it would look bad at all and wouldn't be too costly. A live center for your lathe wouldn't cost all that much and then you would have the tool. I just typed in "live center" on ebay. Cheap enough to use once for a job.

Last edited:
I was going to ask a machine shop for a cost to metal spray the barrel up to the original diameter and cut two wedding bands into it. I'm weary of welding it up and machining it back, too hot. I'm not sure metal spraying is the answer either. It may be too hot as well.
Your idea has me thinking. Pour pewter around it and machine it back. Still not HC though.
Maybe I'll just blend the barrel smooth and see what I can do with the first two rings.
You have good eyes though the micrometer says you're correct the left is cut the deepest. It does leave quite the gap in the stock though. I'm up a creek w/o a paddle.

If you are referring too Thermal Spraying, I don't think that would be your best option...

There's a product called Belzona it's a 2 part epoxy, kinda' like JB Weld ... But stronger!

It is used in Nuclear Power plants across the Country, it's threadable and machinable....

I'm not sure of the cost.... a new barrel my be cheaper!

But it's good stuff.

OUCH is a good word used on your post.
I can think of a few other words, barrel maker is not one of them..

There's a product called Belzona it's a 2 part epoxy, kinda' like JB Weld ... But stronger!

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

I had to look this stuff up. They have many grades...the above link is for the original grade materials and certainly sounds like quite a product. BUT...looks like 1 kg is the smallest size....2.2 pounds would probably be expensive. I tried to find pricing online, but it looks like you have to search for a nearby distributor, then contact them directly.

Danny Caywood of Caywood Gunmakers would not contribute anything toward a new barrel. He said that it was only cosmetic and there is nothing wrong with the gun. He also said no one would notice. He says these are S bands and they are historically correct. I have never seen barrel bands like these on the hundreds of New England fowlers that I researched. Has anyone?
He was quite abusive towards me in his e-mails and would not talk to me directly. I'll never to business with this guy again.
I ordered a new barrel from Rice Barrels today. If anyone wants to buy this one and smooth out the barrel bands it may work for a stock built from scratch. 46 inch, 10 gauge, jugg choked to full, Octagon to round.

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

I had to look this stuff up. They have many grades...the above link is for the original grade materials and certainly sounds like quite a product. BUT...looks like 1 kg is the smallest size....2.2 pounds would probably be expensive. I tried to find pricing online, but it looks like you have to search for a nearby distributor, then contact them directly.

The Government was paying $600 + for the 2.2pound kit...

But I figured if they would pay $600 for a claw hammer which retails for $30 bucks or so maybe this stuff could be found cheaper thru the WWW.

I lucked into a kit from work,the "Shelf Life" ran out on it and it had too be disposed of... So with the proper "Property Removal" paper work ... I took it off their hands....

It works great on gas tank repairs on antique vehicles too!

Looks like a bad machine job to me. Yes a i am machinist, and could have done a better job. What is the wall thickness that is left.

Yes if you re-read post #1 he sent it out to them for jugging and cosmetic work so its not known within the thread the barrel manufacturer

Looks like my work when I took a shop class at the local community college 40 years ago. I am not a machinist for some reason.

Well Jake yer way better than me, looks good here LOL. I had to "weld" once to pass a class, they passed me but made me sign a mock form promising to never weld again! (and I haven't!)

Back