• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ouch! That never happened before.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back I had rapid onset cataracts in both eyes. I went from shooting the targets at 50 yards to being unable to see a full size white van at 30 yards within a few months. Fortunately modern science could fix that specific eye problem. Others are not so fortunate with eye injury or some diseases.

Since I regained my sight, I take every precaution to protect that vision. Safety glasses and/or goggles in the workshop, on the range, hunting and even while mowing on windy days. I lost my vision once, and will do what is needed to make sure I keep what I have now for as long as I am on the green side of the grass. I've never had a negative comment from fellow competitors when whipping out the eye protection, including side shields, or the ear plugs at a shoot or rendezvous.

Did the Sgt Major survive.
Yes. It was about 1968, at the indoor range in ROTC building. As I remember, it didn't hit anything major. He was a super guy, encouraged use of the range, and returned to work after a bit. Most instructors either had done tours in Vietnam or headed there when their ROTC gig was up. Two that I remember leaving were killed there. It was a different time. Since all freshmen were required to take ROTC, they had their work cut out for them. The .22 pistols were semi-auto target pistols. Anyway ....things happen.

Yes. It was about 1968, at the indoor range in ROTC building. As I remember, it didn't hit anything major. He was a super guy, encouraged use of the range, and returned to work after a bit. Most instructors either had done tours in Vietnam or headed there when their ROTC gig was up. Two that I remember leaving were killed there. It was a different time. Since all freshmen were required to take ROTC, they had their work cut out for them. The .22 pistols were semi-auto target pistols. Anyway ....things happen.
What Land-Grant school was that, if I may ask ? About the same time, I was doing the same at UGA.

I guess I was fortunate as I never had a cap burn me, if one did I never noticed. I have been a welder for 50 years and received many more nasty burns. Now a funny story, during a fire fight I'm pushing out lots of 308 from the M60 and a new guy is inside the track getting me more ammo, a spent shell went down his flack jacket. Now he got one hell of a burn, asked me if that deserved a PH and did we ever ride him after that.

Getting a little burn from my cap and ball revolver is common, but this is the weird one. I was firing a cap to clean the oil out of my rifle, and I felt a sting on my left arm. I had blood trickling down and I had to pull a piece of copper cap out of the wound. Just from the cap, no powder. Now I keep body part covered or out of the way! steg49

Reading these happenings, hot cap pieces and a neighbor’s spent shells burning you. Why is anyone standing that close together while shooting ? I realize most of my shooting is done on trail walks, but I have also done my share of BP metallic shilhouets competition and other range shooting. Never have I found myself closer than 5/6 ft from another shooter.
Doc,

I wear glasses and ear protection always when shooting. Over the years I've been spit on with cap fragments a few times but with flintlocks not so much. I was shooting my underhammer at the range some years ago and had a towel in my lap. After one of the shots I looked down and the towel was on fire. Yep, long sleeves are required with underhammers.

I guess I was fortunate as I never had a cap burn me, if one did I never noticed. I have been a welder for 50 years and received many more nasty burns. Now a funny story, during a fire fight I'm pushing out lots of 308 from the M60 and a new guy is inside the track getting me more ammo, a spent shell went down his flack jacket. Now he got one hell of a burn, asked me if that deserved a PH and did we ever ride him after that.
I got the infamous piece of hot brass down my shirt, after it landed on my sweaty elbow and stuck, I flipped my elbow upward to flip the brass away, it went up and into my shirt,,,,, as I was dropping into prone and so had to lay on the thing..... yes, that left a mark. Lol.

Reading these happenings, hot cap pieces and a neighbor’s spent shells burning you. Why is anyone standing that close together while shooting ? I realize most of my shooting is done on trail walks, but I have also done my share of BP metallic shilhouets competition and other range shooting. Never have I found myself closer than 5/6 ft from another shooter.
Doc,
Properly loaded ammo will toss hot brass at least that far.

wm

Thanks for the replies. It seems this post has morphed into a safety glass thread, which is fine by me, for I have been struggling some with the subject. I'm pushing 70 years and my eyes for sure are well appreciated and I do not wish them harmed. They also don't focus as well as I like. On my T/C Hawken I put a Lyman 57M peep sight on the tang and a florescent bead on the front. I know it isn't purist but if I want to hit the target it is a must. Now I have found that all the modern safety glasses are round and conform to the head for protection. Works great in shop but on the range causes me much distortion on the front sight and target bull. I just cant make them work. I have shot without glasses and can see everything great. I currently wear an aviator style yellow colored glass which offers some protection and does not distort too badly. I would really like to find a super clear flat lens with side protectors, but they just don't seem to be out there. Seems everything these days is trend. I've been thinking on finding an idependent eyeglass maker and see if he'll make a pair. Hopefully he will be a gun guy and understand my request.

Go to a good eyeglass place,,,,, NOT lensecrafters,,,,, and tell them what you need. They can stick a nonprescription lens in a set of frames. Better, have then put in a script that allows you to focus on the front sight with your shooting eye.

Doesn't need to be the same lens on both sides.
Except when muzzleloader or bow hunting my glasses, both regular clear and Rudy Project modular sun/safety glasses, have my distance prescription in my left eye and my "mid-range" prescription in the right. I can see and focus on things down the road or across the room, or downrange with my left eye. My right eye can see my dashboard, computer screen, or, front pistol sight.
You could probably even find some frames at goodwill.

Latest posts

Back