• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ouch, don't do this kids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother came up today to do a bit of shooting with me. He was shooting an 1858 Remington repo and I was shooting an old ASM 3rd Model Dragoon I got a few months back for the first time. Loaded with 40 grains of Goex FFF it roared and belched flame as it should:thumb: Like new it's a proper 3rd Model with the 2 flip up barrel mounted sight leaves and a really gorgeous walnut grip, until today. I laid the gun down heavily on a fired mangled cap laying on the picnic table and put 2 gouges in the pristine grip😢. Should've looked before plopping it down :doh:. Oh well, could have been worse, could have been my Colt:eek:.

Last thing I want to hear from Buela Land as they are patting me in the face with a shovel is “doesn’t all his stuff look just like new?”

It’s the term “proper” and barrel mounted sights that pique my interest. Did Colt actually produce such a gun? I’ve had Walker for a decade or so just bought a 1st model Dragoon from these pages last week, thanks BIGSKY RAMBLER, they both hit what I’m shooting at.
I like the concept of the barrel sights but wouldn’t actually have them installed.

BTW shot the Dragoon last week. 48 rounds of a moderate load of 35 grains of 3F. Tried one MAX load which was a 50 grain powder charge of 3F and a 454 round ball it seated just flush with the cylinder mouth. (A length of plastic conduit on the loading lever helped) The loading lever dropped when I fired.
1650371193927.png

Thank you sir.
You just expanded my knowledge of Colts Revolvers. The 3rd model Dragoon, 1860,was available as a carbine with leaf rear sights. Although most reading seems indicate they were three leaf. Apparently it was Colts answer to the Army ordnance department procurement of a non Colt made Dragoon with shoulder stock and barrel mounted leaf sights.

You seem upset about it for some reason. What would have been worse is to lock it up in a safe and just look at it a couple times a year. Now that it is not pristine anymore you can quit worrying about it and use it like it was meant to be used. Now go put a few marks on the Colt.
Life is a lot more enjoyable when you stop worrying about getting a mark or a ding on a pristine car or gun. One of the reasons I will never buy another new pickup. Why buy one and be afraid to slide some lumber or fencing tools in the back because you might scratch the paint? I buy used where somebody else has already made some scrapes, and save a ton of money to boot.
I don’t abuse my stuff, I take decent care of it. But I don’t worry about keeping things in pristine condition either.

Last edited:
I see a person packing a well worn firearm…my first thought is “Wow, must be a good shot “…sometimes it’s best to be thought the fool, rather than open your mouth and prove it.

Back