• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ouch, don't do this kids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
My brother came up today to do a bit of shooting with me. He was shooting an 1858 Remington repo and I was shooting an old ASM 3rd Model Dragoon I got a few months back for the first time. Loaded with 40 grains of Goex FFF it roared and belched flame as it should:thumb: Like new it's a proper 3rd Model with the 2 flip up barrel mounted sight leaves and a really gorgeous walnut grip, until today. I laid the gun down heavily on a fired mangled cap laying on the picnic table and put 2 gouges in the pristine grip😢. Should've looked before plopping it down :doh:. Oh well, could have been worse, could have been my Colt:eek:.

You seem upset about it for some reason. What would have been worse is to lock it up in a safe and just look at it a couple times a year. Now that it is not pristine anymore you can quit worrying about it and use it like it was meant to be used. Now go put a few marks on the Colt.

Yep. The reason the originals have their worn patina is because of things like that. After many more range trips it will start to look right.
That's the reason I collected military firearms for decades, a new ding was no big deal, looked just like the old ones. Somehow dinging something old and perfect always hurts more. I take good care of my stuff and try not to mark it up, I'm the kinda guy you want to buy stuff from. The Dragoon I probably won't shoot again anyway. I much prefer a .36 Navy for my general shooting pleasure and ringing the Davis Tutt silhouette on my range. YMMV

My brother came up today to do a bit of shooting with me. He was shooting an 1858 Remington repo and I was shooting an old ASM 3rd Model Dragoon I got a few months back for the first time. Loaded with 40 grains of Goex FFF it roared and belched flame as it should:thumb: Like new it's a proper 3rd Model with the 2 flip up barrel mounted sight leaves and a really gorgeous walnut grip, until today. I laid the gun down heavily on a fired mangled cap laying on the picnic table and put 2 gouges in the pristine grip😢. Should've looked before plopping it down :doh:. Oh well, could have been worse, could have been my Colt:eek:.
I’d like to hear about the flip up sights. I didn’t know open top Colts had barrel mounted rear sights. You said Dragoon so I’m just assuming Colts Dragoon. .

I know a fella that was into reenacting many years ago. One time he bought a Colt repro. He stripped the blueing, hammered some nails with the butt, and drug it behind his lawnmower on a gravel driveway until he was satisfied he had reached the right amount of abuse to make it look war weary. I grimaced at the thought of it but it was his to do as he pleased.

Cimarron has their "original finish" that replicates an old firearm. The funny thing is, if it was actually 1847 and you carried a Walker, it would look relatively new, not like this I think. :)
Walker original finish.jpeg

Now that’s just cool as can be. What’s the front sight.? Taller than normal.?

Has the hammer been cropped or altered so you looking over it instead of thru the notch.

Spend $5000 on a gun and it is too fancy to shoot. It might lose value. Oh no!!! Spend $50,000 on a car and the first thing you do is take it out in traffic then leave it unattended in a parking lot all day. It loses value very fast no matter how good you take care of it. No big deal. How does this make any sense?

Now that’s just cool as can be. What’s the front sight.? Taller than normal.?

Has the hammer been cropped or altered so you looking over it instead of thru the notch.
Front sight blade is the same as on a Walker, the hammer is also notched so you can draw down on all 3 sights at the lowest setting. That's the reason I wanted this ASM with barrel sights, it's a proper 3rd Model Dragoon repo. Now to find a Dragoon shoulder stock to make a cool display.

Front sight blade is the same as on a Walker, the hammer is also notched so you can draw down on all 3 sights at the lowest setting. That's the reason I wanted this ASM with barrel sights, it's a proper 3rd Model Dragoon repo. Now to find a Dragoon shoulder stock to make a cool display.
It’s the term “proper” and barrel mounted sights that pique my interest. Did Colt actually produce such a gun? I’ve had Walker for a decade or so just bought a 1st model Dragoon from these pages last week, thanks BIGSKY RAMBLER, they both hit what I’m shooting at.
I like the concept of the barrel sights but wouldn’t actually have them installed.

BTW shot the Dragoon last week. 48 rounds of a moderate load of 35 grains of 3F. Tried one MAX load which was a 50 grain powder charge of 3F and a 454 round ball it seated just flush with the cylinder mouth. (A length of plastic conduit on the loading lever helped) The loading lever dropped when I fired.

That's the reason I collected military firearms for decades, a new ding was no big deal, looked just like the old ones. Somehow dinging something old and perfect always hurts more. I take good care of my stuff and try not to mark it up, I'm the kinda guy you want to buy stuff from. The Dragoon I probably won't shoot again anyway. I much prefer a .36 Navy for my general shooting pleasure and ringing the Davis Tutt silhouette on my range. YMMV
20220419_120615.jpg
200 years plus on this Brown Bess check out the worm holes

Back