• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ottoman Shoulder Holster/Scabbards for Shishane (Miquelet)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyten

Eastern Miquelets
Reaction score
Came across this photo of some Ottomans from Trabzon with peculiar way of carrying their rifles. It appears that the rifles are in shoulder holsters or scabbards on their left arm, but they do not appear to be gripping them in place nor do they appear to be weighing down their clothing, or have a strap visible. I have never seen something like this before, maybe members here have? Maybe these guys were onto something?
Ignore the sacrilegious breechloading M1868 Berdan №1

TrabzonBerdanNo1.jpg

Interesting picture. Are those cap lock firearms? When I enlarge the picture the actions are unusual...but a bit fuzzy.

Very interesting We cant see any sling but I would guess there was some looping over the shoulder sling as there are often provision for slings on the guns .So Ide conclude that though we cant see one there must be some sort of sling .Great Photo they look fearsome with a donkey load of weapons . priceless photo '
Thankyou for posting.
Regards Rudyard

Very interesting We cant see any sling but I would guess there was some looping over the shoulder sling as there are often provision for slings on the guns .So Ide conclude that though we cant see one there must be some sort of sling .Great Photo they look fearsome with a donkey load of weapons . priceless photo '
Thankyou for posting.
Regards Rudyard

I have seen rifle scabbards used by the Caucasian "cossacks" made from coarse sheep skin that were slung over the back, but these seem to be dangling effortlessly and I cannot see any indenting on the clothes of where a sling would be carrying the weight. Suppose it could just be the angles.

Great historical picture!

The guy on the left: outfit too dark & blurry to make anything out.

The guy on the right: took a screenshot, zoomed as much as I could. Clearly a scabbard, but no apparent strap. The only point on his dress that appears affected is the sagging breast pocket. (Though the lowest point of sag doesn't appear to have anything touching it.) Maybe the scabbard has a hook? I can't imagine it would work for walking around; maybe it hooks onto a saddle and they just clip 'em onto a pocket at photo time...
Sling?.png

Hi Cyten

Great photo. Hmmmm...that scabbard is strange. Even for very short carbine length Shishane or Tufuk guns, I've never seen one. Possibly attached to the leather belt or sash (?) Since these are staged photos, the short scabbards may have been for a later period firearm, and just used in the photo (?)
The only scabbard I've seen was made by the owner of a very short barreled Albanian Tanchika (which could have been cut back during the period). But even then, the scabbard had a shoulder strap attached to it.

Rick

Back