• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES!! I'll have someone shoot a video.
My only regret is that I wasn't able to shoot the barrel with the original rifling. It would have been interesting to see how the period rifling accuracy compared to the new liner. The original rifling was just too rough. It literally equaled one full twist for the length of barrel, and was the most unusual rifling I've ever seen. Bobby Hoyt said the same thing. Oh well, I'm happy to have a complete gun now. I'll post after the shooting session. Thanks again for everyone's interest. Rick. :thumbsup:

great stuff, im very interested in seeing a video of you shooting. and how comfortable is this stock design?

The somewhat triangular butt stock feels more comfortable on the shoulder than you would first imagine. Fits right in the cup without touching the shoulder or arm bone. Although with that small of circumference of a butt stock and the short barrel, I don't think it would be comfortable shooting heavy loads. :haha:
Actually, the additional weight of the liner has given the gun a better balance when you shoulder it. A pleasant surprise.
One things for sure: This part of the World sure had "different" ideas on firearms construction. :haha: Rick.

Ricky, I have a very similar gun. I haven't found much about trying to pin point origin, style and age in any references. In a few respects my gun is a bit more refined and in a few, less refined.

I have the same style rear sight and rifling, approximately the same barrel length. Fewer barrel bands, a very similar butt stock and tang. Same ball trigger and similar plate.

Will post pictures this evening when I get a chance.

Mine was purchased from a 1970's estate auction near Phila, of a family that came to the US from Odessa about 1900.

I also have a copy of a Canadian Arms Collector's Assn Journal from 1961 with an article about a similar rifle.

Hello. Somehow I missed the last Post on this Thread??
Your long gun is typical Balkan made gun done in the Turkish/Ottoman style. Likely made in one of the gun making centers - maybe even the same region as mine. Lock on yours is typical Turkish/Balkan miquelet.
What is a little unusual on your's is the Mother of Pearl inlays on the butt stock. You don't often see a large use of Pearl on Ottoman style guns. However, the Afghans made extensive use of Pearl in decorating their guns. Which may suggest possible Afghan use at some point in the past. The inlays could have been added later - during the period. This was fairly common. There is reference of how the owner of a gun would add an additional inlay to a gun after each battle/skirmish as a thank you to the gun for protecting it's owner through yet another battle. The Greeks were especially fond of doing this. Strange. :idunno:
Hope this helps. Thanks, Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Cyten. No, I have not as yet made it to the Range to test fire her. :redface:
I can't seem to stop working on projects. (Will have a restored Caucasian miquelet rifle to post in a couple months or less - super cool!).
The longer term for next Spring is to have about a dozen different Middle Eastern type guns to test fire. I plan to do one about every week and post the videos of each shooting session.
But I'm going to make a determined effort to at least get this Ottoman rifle out this Fall. Sorry to keep everyone in suspense. But it will get done and posted. This will be more fun than a man should be allowed. :haha: Thanks again for your continued interest. Rick. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back