• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, just finished another project - I think?
Specs:
Gun: Ottoman Turkish Tufek Rifle. Probably made in Bursa or Istanbul, early to mid 1800's.
Stock: Turkish walnut, I think? Decorated with camel bone (or possibly walrus)and tiny mosaic inlays of brass.
Barrel: Damascus. Tapered octagon. 29 1/2" long. But overly cleaned at some later date. :( Rifled with 7 lands. Slugging the barrel (with breech plug off) shows .534 caliber. Typical 3-position rear sight. A "new" front sight installed.
Lock: Typical Turkish/Balkan Miquelet. This is a period replacement. Original lock was slightly larger. Unusual, decorative black and red balls. ??
Weight: 8-lbs.
I plan on making this a shooter. Lock sparks great. Unbreached the barrel. Breech plug threads look good. Plenty of barrel wall thickness. Barrel cleaned up OK. Still a little left to do, but I think we will give it a go. The rifling in this barrel is the most unusual I've ever seen. The twist is almost one complete turn in the 29 1/2" length?? And, it has small "horizonal" cuts every 1/8" or so for the full length?? You would think that would snag a patch, but it doesn't seem too. Wonder how they ever did that (or why?)unless it was a second maching of the barrel? The cleaning patches don't snag. Well, the real test will be loading with a .520 round ball and pillow ticking. We'll see. :shocked2: It would be so interesting to see how this period rifling from that part of the world actually shoots.
Just for fun, the last three photos include a Turkish gun belt from the same period. The buckle and brass cartridge containers are original early 1800's. The new "adjustable" leather belt is by T.C.Albert. Buckle still has all it's coral stones. Thought they looked good together. Thanks for looking. Enjoy. :grin:
DSC00629Medium.jpg

DSC00630Medium.jpg

DSC00631Medium.jpg

DSC00632Medium.jpg

DSC00641Medium.jpg

DSC00633Medium.jpg

DSC00635Medium.jpg

DSC00636Medium.jpg

DSC00644Medium.jpg

DSC00638Medium.jpg

DSC00645Medium.jpg

DSC00637Medium.jpg

DSC00648Medium.jpg

DSC00639Medium.jpg

DSC00646Medium.jpg

DSC00647Medium.jpg

DSC00640Medium.jpg

DSC00649Medium.jpg

DSC00642Medium.jpg

DSC00650Medium.jpg

DSC00651Medium.jpg

DSC00651Medium.jpg

Excellant!!! I am sure you have the attention of
everyone on board....certainly me...I very much
admire what you are doing with these guns...
Wulf

Gentlemen: Thank you all for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

Hi Bill. Actually, I plan on sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt and have him drill out the existing bore and install a rifled liner, probably a short 1X48 twist. (His current schedule is 6 months :(
But I wanted to try a few shots with the existing rifling just out of curiosity. If, when loading, I run into the slightest bit of resistance with the existing rifling, I'll pull the load and just have to wait till I get the barrel back from Bobby Hoyt. Thanks again. Rick.

Hi Ricky,
Fabulous gun!! Thank you for posting the photos. They are saved in my collection for future reference. I love these guns. The styling did not change much from the 16th century and the Turks made good barrels. Rifles and riflemen were part of the mix in the long struggle between the Hapsburgs and the Ottomans since the 16th century. Your rifle would look out of place at the sieges of Vienna, Guns, or Budapest.

Thanks,

dave

Hi Dave! Thanks for the comments. As you say, the Turks used these guns virtually unchanged for some 200+ years. That probably accounts for the large quantity of specimens still available today. An interesting side note is that the Turks prefered the miquelet lock on their long guns, and the more traditional style of flintlock on their pistols. I've never been able to find any information as to why?
There is not many collectors/shooters interested in these Middle Eastern type guns. Most of the guys are interested in the blades and armour.
I make these into shooters, but still consider them novelty type guns - for shooting purposes. But, it should be a blast at the Range this Spring/Summer. More fun than a man should be allowed! :haha: Rick.

Ricky, your experiences have been most enlightening to me. I always regarded these weapons as flimsy and fanciful pipe bombs waiting to go off in one's face, and never thought of having Bobby Hoyt give them a second, useful incarnation.

Awesome rifle! been after one of these for awhile but they always seem to come up when i dont have the funds. Would love to build one soon!

Thanks guys for the kind remarks. Here's an update:

After spending a long time cleaning the barrel, I went to the Range and attemted to load her with the right size ball and pillow ticking. Too much resistance loading. The patch felt like it was "grabbing" off and on while pushing it down the bore. I knew I could get it seated, but just didn't feel comfortable with the situation.
So, I took the barrel off and sent it to Bobby Hoyt to be bored out and a new rifled liner installed. Bobby said he was running about 6 months turn around time :( That was back in mid-March. So hopefully it will only be a couple more months. The liner will be rifled in .54 caliber.
I'll re-Post with a Range Report when I get the barrel back. Thanks for looking. Rick.

Just out of curiosity where did you get your rifle? I am sure my wife's sixth sense is going off in the next room and she is ready to burst out here and tell me I can't have one. So I am just curious..... Really :grin:

BUMP! UPDATE-2.
Well, it took almost 9 months, but Monday, 01/07 two barrels showed up on my doorstep. Bobby promised the other three within the next two weeks.
The barrel was bored out true, a new liner installed, and then rifled with 7 lands and a fast 1X48 twist in .54 caliber. You can easily see at the muzzle where the liner was installed. But that's just how this one had to turn out. Still very happy with the outcome. I've tried to show pics of the rifling best I can. Now the gun is re-born with a new life. :) With a new front sight installed, nothing left to do but shoot her. The three holes in the rear sight seem strange, but actually give a better sight picture than you would imagine. Sort of like a peep sight. :hmm:
Thought I would load using original flask and small spring loaded priming flask - that still works. The leather strap on the flask is well over 100 years old. Anyway, hope you all enjoy the pics. This project turned out well. Rick. :hatsoff:
DSC00127Medium.jpg

DSC00126Medium.jpg

DSC00125Medium.jpg

DSC00128Medium.jpg

DSC00129Medium.jpg

DSC00130Medium.jpg

I second the request for a video record! Congratulations on bringing new life to a lovely old weapon.

Back