• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Other Caliber Great Plains Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody indulged in changing the caliber on their GPR's?
I've got one made into a .40. And a .54 GPH barrel I'm threatening to do something different with, maybe a smooth bore. Any way, thought I'd open a thread and see what people are doing.

Are you asking about Great Plains style rifles or the actual Lyman investarms models? A .40 Lyman rifle would be quite heavy. Now if they made a 58 I would be interested.

The .40 is heavy, right at the limits of what I'll deal with. The rifles you see in museums with thicker than one inch barrels and even smaller bores, well, I have to tip my hat to those fellas for their upper body strength as well as their marksmanship.

As to the rifles I brought up, yeah, GPR's. As well as changing the bore on a GPH.

I’ve kicked around the idea of having my 50 cal bored out to 54 or 58, but I can’t justify it. It’s plenty big enough for what I hunt around here.

I didn’t change the caliber on mine (54 cal), but I did modify another Investarms barrel to fit. I wanted to try a 1:48 twist 28” barrel, and found one from a kit gun that was never put together. If you want to fit another barrel to your GPR, this will give you a taste of what’s involved…. I have to imagine there are Investarms barrels out there in other calibers that have the same hooked breech and snail.

Some pictures of the project:

New barrel for Lyman GPR

Also just a thought, if you have a GPH barrel they’re worth quite a little bit and are hard to come by. You could sell it and get a very nice smoothbore octagon barrel from a barrel maker. I have considered this exact thing for putting together a grouse gun.

Anyway, good luck! I would love to see it when you’re done.

Back