• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OT: Why we call 'em FLINCH-Locks!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldNo7

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My hat's off to anyone who can shoot a flintlock well! Or good even... As for me, Thank God for percussion caps, metallic cartridges -- and Jack Daniel's!!!
:hatsoff:

This series of pictures is of my identical twin brother shooting his new .69 caliber smoothbore flintlock... Wow!!! What an awesome explosion going off just 10" from your face!
:shocked2:

Note that he's a lefty (I'm a righty, from the other side of the egg) and remember that his face is on the same side as the rock-lock'er... Also note how consistent his hold is through the entire shot (hint: watch the position of the trigger guard).

If that had been ME -- I admit the rifle would have left the frame!!! I shot it twice, and that was enough for me. But maybe I'll try it again in a few months -- after my eyebrows grow back...
:surrender:

Anyway, enjoy these pix that I ripped from the video I took with my digi-cam.

Tight groups!

Old No7

No.1
481652.jpg

No.2
481653.jpg

No.3
481654.jpg

THAT'S why I don't shoot a right-handed flintlock!

Thanks, those are some really amazing pictures!

Joel

Old No7,
Good reminder for the case of using
protective shooting glasses :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Old No 7

Great photos, If you ever get the chance try and shoot one of those revolving rifles.
I had two of the Remington type.....SCARRY!
The first one I had, I thought it was a fault in that particular rifle, so stupid me sold the first one, and got another....same situation.
If you ever shoot volley with military( flint reenactor) groups, you will get your face peppered, from the shooter to your left
That is an experience that you won't forget either.

Best Regards

Old Ford

I think you're doing a disservice to the millions of would be "flinters" by posting those obscene photos. In fact, these pics will cause many flintlock shooters to, "all of a sudden", become flinchers of the worst kind. It must be understood that many flinters are sensitive people, are borderline flinchers and these photos will put them over the top. :winking: From a technical aspect, these are wonderful pictures and are quite educational......Fred

Personally I don't fear flintlocks, don't even notice the flash wether I'm shooting a right or left handed gun. Genereally I look at my target, not the lock, as I assume it can fire with out my direct attention.
Basically, I ain't scared. :blah:

I really enjoy shooting my flinters from the bench.

I can concentrate, see the flash and hear the thump of the ball down range, smell the smoke

Life is good.

I also ALWAYS use eye protection - that is just a no-brainer.

I think shooting off sand bags is the best way to learn to shoot a flinter or to make a flinch go away.

You have all the time in the world to get your sight picture right.

You have plenty of time to SQUEEZE the trigger and can work on follow thru (Keeping your head down after the shot)

Might want to back off your load 20 % or so if you are recoil sensitive.

But the bench is where good habits are learned and bad habits are fixed'

IMHO

Leo

The first time I shot a flintlock, I expected to flinch - and was surprised that I didn't - haven't had a "flinching" probably ever with it. I agree... concentrate on your target and front sight and you won't even notice the explosion going on in front of your face.

I see the pics are in the dark, flash doesn`t bother me in the day light, don`t even notice it.
Cool pics though. :thumbsup:

I concentrate on the target and don't notice whats going on with the lock. It's never bothered me. I actually feel safer shooting one of my flinters than any caplock I've ever owned. Been bit more than once in the cheek by cap debris.

I don't think I'm ever consious of the pan flash. I shoot both left and right for practice. I feel the trigger break and a hit on the target.

how much powder ya are using in the pan :shocked2: ....i never see a fire ball like that when i shoot my flintlock....unless i'm flinching and closing my eyes :rotf: ....but i see the smoke out the barrel and i'm still looking through the sights....i only use bout 1 grain of powder in my pan :v ...........bob

I'm just a fragile little old lady and all I shoot is my 45 cal. flintlock rifle-love it-and am still shooting it at 67 years of age (and I even win something once and a while)! It's all in your head. I don't even notice the fire. Susie

If you compact the powder, don't put a hole in the powder charge to allow the flame and heat from the prime to ignite more than one granule to begin the ignition of the powder charge, if you pile the priming powder up so that it covers the vent hole, if you have a badly timed and made lock that has your flint striking at 90 degrees to the face, and gouging steel bits out at such a straight angle that they have to roll down the face of the frizzen as it is opening to fall into the pan, then you are going to have a long, slow, hangfire, as the gun fires.

That can give you a flinch.

However, if you concentrate on the front site of a rifle, or on the target if you are shooting moving targets with a smootbore shooting shot, your brain will ignore even all these delays and you will not flinch.

It is common for modern rifle shooters, used to having fast ignition with suppository guns, to develop a flinch when shooting any ML firearm. All the flame, smoke, and loud sounds is disconcerting to them. THEY ALSO DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW TO PROPERLY SET US A LOCK, OR LOAD A ML FIREARM TO GET FAST IGNITION! You can get slow, delayed-ignition, hangfires, and misfires shooting both flintlocks and percussion locks of all descriptions, if you don't know what you are doing. It is the responsibility of the shooter to learn how to load and maintain his ML firearm so that it fires quickly, reliably, and accurately.

There are no short-cuts when it comes to flintlocks. That is why the makers of the unmentionable MLs have nothing to say, or nice to say good about flintlocks. They don't understand how to work them, how to load them, and won't ask. The nice thing about this forum is that there are plenty of experienced Flintlock shooters here who are willing to answer your questions, and help you learn everything you can't find in articles or books. And, seriously, It doesn't take some fella with a PhD to be able to shoot a flintlock properly. once we get folks to forget about the substitute powders, forget conicals, for most applications, understand that the weight of the ball determines how deep it will penetrate into an animal rather than speed, then we can get them started down the road to making their flintlocks s reliable working tool to enjoy.

Old No7,
That does seem like and overloaded pan. Now the fact that it is dark might seem to magnify it a bit, but then all those streamers after the flash is over....hmmmmnnnn.

I would rather shoot a flinter anyday to a capper.
My CVA double 12 capper always peppered my bare left arm good when shooting the left barrel. A flinter doesn't do that.

Now if you really want to have fun, try a wheellock....
volatpluvia

:bow: That is some of the coolest picyures I have seen. I would love to see the whole video. Does it have the fire out the end of the barrel in the night sky.. That is so cooool. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Ronnie

When shooting a Flinter, my conscious brain says in a loud voice "Ignore the POOF and the FIRE and the BURNING EMBERS THAT WILL BOUNCE OFF OF YOUR FOREHEAD!! THEY WILL DO YOU NO HARM." and for the most part, the rest of me listens.

But...way down in the depths of my sub-conscious mind is another voice yelling:
"FIRE!! FLAME!! IT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE STUPID! CAN'T YOU SEE IT?? IT WILL DESTROY YOUR EYEBROWS! IT WILL BURN THE HAIR IN YOUR NOSE! BURNING EMBERS ON YOUR BALD FOREHEAD!! DOOM!!
DOOM! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

I usually win the word game but just when I need it the most, my body sometimes listens to that nay sayer. :grin:

zonie :)

Latest posts

Back