• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ornate Brass Barreled Flintlock Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Like many of you, I am a big fan of Jaeger Rifles. The short profile makes it an interesting section of muzzleloading history in a world dominated by long-barreled muskets and rifles. These tight twist stalking rifles made a name for themselves in the hands of Germans hunting for sustenance and sport.

This Jaeger, in particular, is peculiar for a couple of reasons, the first is the brass lock plate. Brass lock plates aren’t super rare, but I don’t see them often in original pieces. The lock on this rifle is fully decorated. The lock plate has a scene of a stag in the woods, surrounded by leaf and scroll engraving. The tail of the lock has a wonderful grotesque European mask reminiscent of the “Green Man” folklore. This combination of traditional folk tail and realistic fantasy continues around the face of the cock of the lock with more engraving and another mask on the cock bolt going into the lock. The engraving transitions into small relief cast or engraved leaves near the jaws of the cock. Even the frizzen spring has some engraving, the top jaw and frizzen feature very little decoration.

9752AC26-1730-41C2-804F-F7A4FFB5DEA9.jpeg
F661A69B-AE2D-4E1D-B83F-6B6A7D48D2C0.jpeg
39582AA3-AC3F-4309-A190-3858004543CD.jpeg

Back