• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Orion Percussion Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry York

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello very new to the forum and new again to BP shooting....

I have a custom built George Nelson .50 cal Hawken - a beautiful rifle. I asked for a round ball rifle and got an Orion 1:70 twist barrel, excellent shooter. Just looking for more information on Orion barrels.. I know the basics, from internet research .... anyone else shooting one. Any quirks or specifics that could help me shoot it more accurately? Thanks

The Orion barrel should be excellent. Quirks would be to practice being consistent in your load. Weigh the balls, measure your patches, use the same volume measure and keep the bore in the same condition from shot to shot. The specific instruction would be to get to the range and shoot your rifle a lot so that your shooting practice is consistent from shot to shot..

George Nelson is an outstanding builder of the contemporary Hawken Rifle. I have drooled over many examples of his work. You are most fortunate my friend. He has sold many of his rifles on TOW website.

The Orion barrel has a reputation for excellence. As far as anything to concern yourself with this barrel over other premium made barrels? I’d say work up a load and go to town! It will definitely preform beyond your expectations and ability.

Congratulations and enjoy your George Nelson Hawken rifle my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thank you Gentlemen... I appreciate the comments and help. Looking forward to spring and range time.

Back