• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original smooth bore resto

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootrj2003

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My project is restoration of an original Birmingham ...for want of a better description,Northeast trade gun, obtained at a auction for $50 barrel is good with a fair bore ,lock was a flint converted to percussion and also works all the metal is in fair shape ,seems to be about 12 ga. With Birmingham proof marks dating it to about 1830, wood is total loss ,dry rot ,though ,enough to use as a template for a piece of cherry and for copying inlet of lock and pins etc.will have to replace thenipple and base, pretty beat up ,there is no serpent so probably not for actual Indian trade but a settlers or hunters gun .The barrel is part octagon then round after the half stock ends ,the brass thimble is beat up probably needs replacement seems to me to be a fair candidate as it certainly not much of a museum piece but the parts are all there the screws may be a challenge to replacement,are there any experts on these in the southern NY State area that I could discuss this with?(Mid Hudson region) I am proficient with these just would like a face to face second opinion meeting even if it’s not shootable I will restore to original appearance.

Quote Reply

Sorry I got turned around a couple of days ,not lost!yeahi will get it together and take pics thanks

I have a piece of cherry that is cut out and might work but has some flaws that might be a no I,have to rough finish it to see,it it’s no good I’ll cut another walnut is a great wood ,but unspectacular,maple cherry would be my choice I have a curly maple stock that is for my lymanGPR that is spectacular, when I am done with these two guns I will have a GPR stock to build into anther rifle ,a .54 with a green mountain barrel,I am. Thinking..

Enclosed is a stand of original flint lock conversion to percussion using the drum and nipple conversion . Most of the guns are Birmingham made and were in a poor condition . One thing that must always be remembered a gun which is 150 years plus must look its age and restoration must not be carried to far , some of the main faults are recut checkering. puffed up lock an furniture ,clean them yes ,stocks also but not to remove the patina and dents. My advice on any restoration if in any doubt leave it be. good luck
Feltwad
P1010010.JPG

That top one is a beast, but the second one is sexy!
What are they?
Thanks,
SFH
The second one may have started has flintlock and later converted to patch lock with detachable nose and then percussion .It is an early gun of 1820 and the maker was a Charles Spencer senior from Northallerton county of North Yorkshire UK
Feltwad
P1010022.JPG

Feltwad, what is a patch lock, the configuration looks as if you could use a 209 shot shell primer, interesting set up, and nice gun.

Feltwad, what is a patch lock, the configuration looks as if you could use a 209 shot shell primer, interesting set up, and nice gun.
Look at the images you will see that the nose of the hammer is detachable the original nose would have been similar and patch would have been in a detachable nose with the fultimate between paper similar has todays children's toy cap gun Between the flintlock and the percussion many different ignitions were tried but the patch lock and the tube lock were the most used
Feltwad

You never know what will show up here, always a learning experience, thanks for the explanation with the situation now with regular caps this is something to store away in the back of the brain pan, a bit of tinkering with a bit of thought looks like a regular percussion hammer could be arranged in that manner. As always sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Back