• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original Powder Horn/Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All.
I picked this up while at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show this past March. I think they sometimes call this a Pulverin. The horn and flask head are in good, usable condition. The bottom half of the horn body is flattened to an oval shape with a cap also made of horn. What I found interesting was the flask head. It has a simple slide open/close lever. But it has a long threaded neck which I assume is for adjusting the volumn of the powder charge. Never seen one like this. Have any of you ? I can't figure out what that intentionally made slot is for on the brass cap. Hmmm.
I'm guessing European. Maybe the second quarter of the 19th Century (?) It sure is well made and stills seems tight.
There are two tiny holes on the bottom corners which I believe wre originally two additional suspension rings, now missing. But I have two new ones from October Country that I plan on installing. So I don't see why I can't put this flask back in service. What do you all think ?
Thanks for looking. Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007.JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG

Nice Rick!

I have a French pulverin (repro) and it has a fixed spout but with the 2 lower rings you are indeed missing. Where usually on a military/militia arm use, the rings would be far more substantial. This leads me to believe your horn might be a later sporting use horn ... ?

A length of rope/hemp was passed through the top ring and thru the bottom, where a simple stopper knot stopped it from slipping out. They were worn suspended vertically and on a leather harness akin to those holding frogs/bayonets.

Hi Flint. Thanks for your post. Oh, I totally agree, this was a sporting type flask. We've seen the common adjustable sporting style flask heads. This is just the first one I've seen that operates in this manner. That's probably a good guess on the reason for the slot. The threads are cut so fine that the cap will stay in place at any length you adjust it. Just an interesting, different set up for an adjustable flask head.
Here's a Spanish style pulverin with the heavier duty rings and suspended just as you mention. Thanks.
Rick
001 (Medium).JPG

Rather interesting horn flask.
You are right. This horn may be a continental horn.
I didn' t see a top like this before. The mechanism is very similar to the common patent tops, but seems to be handcrafted.
The adjustable charger might be an older repair.

Latest posts

Back