• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original or Replica ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know a thing about bp pistols and not much on rifles, but this gun looks to perfect, meaning just enough patina/ age but still not a clunker that won't sell. The wear seems not right to me.

hawkeye2 nailed it. Have seen a lot of these flintlocks for sale at gun shows over the years for less than $100 not many years ago. Don't know what they are worth now; maybe about $200 - $250 top retail price?

Sellers seem pretty sleazy with their description, weasel words and opening bid of $980 / Buy It Now $1,019.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933212354
Here's a legit original to compare it to. They got fairly close, but notice the grip is different, among other things. Trigger, bands at the breech, etc.

At least the seller did mention the import marks--this definitely says its a repro as well.

I also think that if it were an original, someone would have snatched it up immediately at that price.

Last edited:
Wow!! Someone has been smoking too much Electric Cabbage on that one!! Run, don't walk, away from that one!!
remember what P.T. BARNUM, once said? so true. I did not know that the JAPANESE supplied weapons to the BRITISH, at least back in that time period?

are all of the ones marked SAR, made in TURKEY? I didn't know that they made them, I thought only the JAPANESE, MADE THE REPRODUCTIONS of REPO. TOWER PISTOLS. as I have 2 of them with SAR, marked on the lock. please explain any proof. just courious.

yeah

first thought I saw it and I knew something was off
patina was almost right but something was red flagging my mind
sat and looked at the pics for a minute and I caught it

the engraving lines are way too sharp to be the real deal
the age on them tower pistols and their use wore down a lot of that
then it hit me that wood isn't right
spring under the frizzen doesn't look proper, too perfect

pistol was made late 60's to early 70's in Japan

worth maybe $225 on a good day

seller must know it isn't the real deal, he never outright says it, but highly implies it

I'm utterly amazed [again] that anybody could be taken in by this fake - everything possibly wrong is wrong. They were so bad, back in the day, that for obvious reasons, nobody every tried to import them and sell them here in UK.

BTW, Toot, as you know, the first person to 'open' up Japan in the 19th century was US Navy Commodore Perry, until then, Japan was almost totally shut off from the rest of the world, apart from having a single trading post at Tanagashima. Their firearms were matchlocks, copied from the Portuguese and Dutch in the early 17-th century.

However, they had advanced enough by the beginning of WW1 to sell a large number of Arisaka unmentionables to the British Royal Navy, for use by Royal Marines from boarding parties and for floating mine destruction.

The description says it's from original 18th century design and the barrel is stamped with import and manufacturing stamps.
Pretty expensive for a reproduction.

The description uses very careful wording. So if a would be buyer wanted to return the pistol for a refund the seller could claim that he never said it was an "authentic" original. More or less the Sargent Shultz claim: "I know nothing". The over-clever wording does not give a comfortable feeling.
Another one of these pistols, with even less faux finish just sold two weeks ago on GB for $600.00. Amazing.

While there are unscrupulous dealers out there. It still also amazes me how many dealers in modern arms for 25+ years have so little knowledge of antique muzzle loading guns.

Mirouku (or whoever) must have made thousands of these pistols.

Rick

Latest posts

Back