• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Middle TN Buffalo Priming Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purchased this several years ago from a gentleman who mentioned it was from an estate from Middle TN years ago. Still filled with powder. Not seriously to debate...just showing. Could be or not but the story remains.

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_195027210.jpg
    IMG_20210121_195027210.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210121_194946687.jpg
    IMG_20210121_194946687.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210121_194832887.jpg
    IMG_20210121_194832887.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 75
I love it! We wonder about the bison from which it came, if it was killed in Tennessee. I see that horn is more brown than black, also, which I understand is a characteristic of the eastern variant of the plains bison (wood bison are only in the far north). I think your horn is not only a nice artifact to have, but may be historically significant from a biological standpoint. You would probably enjoy reading Ted Belue's The Long Hunt, which tells the story of the extermination of the eastern bison.

I would also like to suggest that it may not be a priming horn. It might very well be a "day horn" or "bag horn," carried in a pocket or pouch by a hunter who only expects to shoot a few rounds, maybe collecting a few squirrels for the pot. There's no need to carry a pound of powder for an outing like that.

In any event, whoever carried the horn was free to use it for whatever purpose he chose. You are lucky to have it!

Thanks for showing it to us!

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob, I'll look that publication up, sounds like a good read. It could very well be a day horn based on its size. Just for kicks I examined a smidgen of powder again, an it is variable in size...perhaps 3-4f, touched off a smidgen....instanious "poof" just like it suppose to. I'm very appreciative to own this and likewise the kind words from you gents.

Back